1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPN: Cowboys have best receivers in NFC East

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by NewsBot, Apr 10, 2014.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot New Member

32,247 Messages
    316 Likes Received
    [IMG]
    DeSean Jackson joining Pierre Garcon in Washington brings up this question: Which team has the best receiver combination in the NFC East? Jackson and Garcon are clearly a potent duo to deal with twice a year within the division. But don't forget about the Dallas Cowboys. Against division opponents, Dez Bryant had three games with more than seven catches -- including eight for 110 yards game against the Philadelphia Eagles last season. Terrance Williams, as a rookie, had a four-game stretch with at least one receiving touchdown and his speed makes him a big-play threat.

Continue reading...
  2. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,131 Messages
    6,913 Likes Received
    Bold statement by Watkins
    jobberone likes this.
  3. dstovall5

dstovall5 Well-Known Member

2,845 Messages
    1,833 Likes Received
    I'm not so sure we do have the best(Redskins), it all depends on Williams and how much he has grown this off season. For us to take the next level in the passing game, we're going to need a dependable WR behind Dez and last year we didn't have that. Not saying Williams wasn't good, because he was great for a rookie, but it showed last year as we struggled when Dez/Witten was doubled/taken out of the game.
  4. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,472 Messages
    2,368 Likes Received
    If it was only WRs, then this would be a different story. But when you throw in Witten's 90 catches and 1000 yards, and it tilts things in Dallas' favor.
    Fletch, brymatt94 and guag like this.
  5. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

2,890 Messages
    1,389 Likes Received
    It's hard to give that edge to the Cowboys right now. Jackson and Garcon are proven guys.

But I like the potential of this WR core.

Edit: If we're talking ALL pass catchers, then yeah it's Dallas quite easily.
  6. dstovall5

2,845 Messages
    1,833 Likes Received
    I don't know man, Redskins have a very explosive core, especially if their young TE can come back 100% healthy.

Washington has Pierre Garcon, DeSean Jackson, and Jordan Reed

Dallas has Dez Bryant, Terrance Williams, and Jason Witten(older and slow, still has great hands)

Dallas has the best WR by far in Dez, but as a duo I think Garcon and Jackon are just as good as Dez and Williams.
    JoeyBoy718 likes this.
  7. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,581 Messages
    5,498 Likes Received
    I'd still like a vet to replace Austin.
  8. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

38,885 Messages
    4,455 Likes Received
    I was thinking something else but that's appropriate for sure.
    WoodysGirl likes this.
  9. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

38,885 Messages
    4,455 Likes Received
    Without a healthy Austin we aren't the same. I don't have a problem with a vet but I suspect they want to go young. I'm guessing a big technician with good hands.
    Zimmy Lives and big dog cowboy like this.
  10. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,846 Messages
    1,220 Likes Received
    How's Reed doing with the knee ?sic(concussion) I really like that Garcon Jackson tandem but Dez is the best of the three and I really like what I saw of Williams. Williams may not have great speed like Jackson but he has the knack to go deep and he also can make those tough sideline catches if DBs try to stay back.
    BigStar and dstovall5 like this.
  11. big dog cowboy

51,581 Messages
    5,498 Likes Received
    Don't get me wrong - I want a younger vet WR that comes cheap to help spell TWill or Dez for a game or 2 in case of injury. For now I'd prefer Harris and The Beas as WR4 and WR5.
    jobberone likes this.
  12. dstovall5

2,845 Messages
    1,833 Likes Received
    I'm not sure how Reed is or if he's 100%, but I watched him last year quiet a bit before his injury and I was very impressed with him as a rookie.

While I think Williams has shown tremendous potential, especially on the deep ball, I'm still not sure he can be a reliable #2 next year. I guess we'll find out soon enough, hopefully he's been working on not catching the ball with his body.

If Harris/Cole is your 4th/5th WR, then who is your 3rd? Miles is gone. :p
  13. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

4,234 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    One way to judge....is there another tandem you would trade Dez and TW straight up for? I'll stick with ours
    Wheeltax and BigStar like this.
  14. BigStar

BigStar Stop chasing Zone Supporter

4,099 Messages
    1,624 Likes Received
    The Skins have two proven WRs but no one that cannot dominate a game. Both are deep threats that don't have the "go up and get em" skill similar to Dez, Megatron, etc. We have the one star wideout in the division and definitely wouldn't trade him, even for both players (DJax & Garcon).
    DandyDon1722 likes this.
  15. Sportsbabe

Sportsbabe Well-Known Member

6,159 Messages
    1,416 Likes Received
    Please. Red meat people, red meat. One day we're the worst thing since "roughing the passer" and now we're lighting up the NFC East with out "elite" receivers!!!!
    Vanilla2 and OhSnap like this.
  16. big dog cowboy

51,581 Messages
    5,498 Likes Received
    We need to sign a vet WR. I've said that since last summer. I said that early in this thread. We don't need a big name just someone with experience.
    dstovall5 likes this.
  17. BigStar

BigStar Stop chasing Zone Supporter

4,099 Messages
    1,624 Likes Received
    That would be ideal. Someone who can fulfill the role MIA was supposed to fill the last two seasons while also capable of filling in on the outside in case of injury to Dez/TW.
  18. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

3,102 Messages
    1,299 Likes Received
    Dez > Garcon, Jackson
    Garcon, Jackson > Williams
    Garcon, Jackson > Beasley, Harris
    Williams, Beasley > Hankerson
    Hankerson = Harris
  19. starfrombirth

starfrombirth Well-Known Member

3,932 Messages
    476 Likes Received
    What exactly did Austin provide for us the last 3 years again???? :confused:
  20. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,846 Messages
    1,220 Likes Received
    Someone who looks like they are running in the mud?