ESPN: Cowboys' secondary revamp won't happen all at once

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by jobberone, Jul 15, 2017.

1. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

31,891 Messages
    16,575 Likes Received
    My own four at safety are Jones, Heath, Frazier, and Woods. Youth movement.

Bullflop and Trouty like this.
  2. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

14,917 Messages
    5,337 Likes Received
    Contract will certainly be a factor if it's close.

3. robjay04

robjay04 Well-Known Member

3,459 Messages
    5,398 Likes Received
    Their receiving core was fine last season.

It's just that their OL and QB stinks.

4. Irvin88_4life

Irvin88_4life Well-Known Member

7,291 Messages
    6,260 Likes Received
    I think it comes down to Robert Blanton or Marquez White.......they keep White over Blanton

5. jobberone

jobberone Kane Ala Staff Member

49,976 Messages
    13,339 Likes Received
    I like White's length.

Trouty and Irvin88_4life like this.
  6. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

8,007 Messages
    6,717 Likes Received
    Thanks for that -- it's exactly what I was hoping to see . . . :thumbup:

Trouty likes this.
  7. Bullflop

8,007 Messages
    6,717 Likes Received
    Well, actually, they were good enough to beat us in both games last year, so there's that to fully digest as well. I'd really like to deny it but can't. Despite their weak links, they are what they are and we still need to outplay them, come what may. ;)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    Trouty likes this.
  8. robjay04

3,459 Messages
    5,398 Likes Received
    I am talking about their offense. They didn't beat us because of their offense.

We do need to play better against their defense though.

Trouty likes this.
  9. Bullflop

8,007 Messages
    6,717 Likes Received
    I think we lost as a result of our poor defense and their offense being capable of scoring more than we did. We'll also have to find a way to make our passing game more productive to keep their defense from cheating up front to thwart our running game. I'm hoping we'll succeed in doing so.

Trouty likes this.
  10. rags747

rags747 Well-Known Member

1,766 Messages
    756 Likes Received
    Add in the TE they drafted too...

Trouty likes this.
  11. manster4ever

manster4ever Well-Known Member

3,566 Messages
    1,893 Likes Received
    No doubt, but I'd feel pretty confident IF our D.Line wasn't such colossal *** ups. I mean, if they were intact and not suspended for various offenses, we would be just fine. As it is? Could be a long night.

Trouty and Bullflop like this.
  12. Bullflop

8,007 Messages
    6,717 Likes Received
    I hope not -- what I'd really like to see is for us to pick off Eli about three or four times and score on them at will. Is that asking so much? But yeah, our guys need to make better decisions in the offseason, that's for sure.

Trouty likes this.
  13. bigbob

bigbob Member

41 Messages
    65 Likes Received
    How will we know is these guys are better or not?
    More interceptions better pass coverage or just beat Green Bay in playoffs and the Giants?

14. robjay04

3,459 Messages
    5,398 Likes Received
    They scored 20 points and 13 points Baknsg them.

Their offense stunk---their defense shut down our rookie QB. That sums it up.

I'm all for taking responsibility for our losses but Eli and the Giants OL was awful last season...they had a good season and beat us twice because of their defense.

15. Bullflop

8,007 Messages
    6,717 Likes Received
    I surely don't underestimate their defense -- they made our offense look worse than anyone else did. I just hate playing them before our revamped defense has a chance to get their feet on the ground sufficiently, though, but perhaps we'll do better than I think we might. Their WR corps has been retooled enough for Eli to have some new weapons at his disposal.

Maybe their new WRs won't be fully acclimated to their offensive system enough to give our defense fits in game one. I'm hoping that to be the case. To be totally candid, I give Eli way more credit than you do, even though he's getting longer in the tooth now. He gets rid of the ball quickly enough to give most teams fits and we've been no exception to that dilemma. Let's just see if our defense can do any better this year, though.

In any case, Dak should be better equipped to read their defense and I think our offense will be better with both Dak and Zeke further developed. It'll be a dogfight again, no doubt. Here's hoping the results work in our favor this year. It's high time for us to beat the Giants if we're destined to win our division this year before they do. I don't think there's any question but what they'll be our main obstacle. May the best team win.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    Trouty and robjay04 like this.
  16. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

10,176 Messages
    1,757 Likes Received
    I think Jaylon Smith is the key to the Dallas revamped secondary because there isn't anyone else that can potentially replace the tackles of Barry Church. ...and don't say Heath, that's like Merryweather vs McGregor, if it was a REAL FIGHT! (and Barry Church was McGregor...

Trouty likes this.
  17. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

19,274 Messages
    11,108 Likes Received
    It will definitely be a big challenge. But will it be bigger or lesser than if we had last years secondary is the question.
    This is where by having the veteran players around will help some. Scandrick, and Brown in his 2nd year, Jones, and then Heath if he lives up to his off season billing (which I do question). Also we have Carroll, and Blanton, if he makes the team. Then Frazier in his 2nd year, if he makes the team as well.

so how much playing time will the rookies get, and in what situations. So we may have a formidable group back there as opposed to previous years.
    Also if they pass rush is improved, and it's a big if, but there is no reason at this point we should not believe it hasn't improved. That will help the secondary play.

Plus they have Eli throwing to them....:muttley:....

However, yes, there are reasons for concerns.

18. CalPolyTechnique

CalPolyTechnique Well-Known Member

3,672 Messages
    4,064 Likes Received
    He needs to get himself into better shape though.

[​IMG]

Trouty likes this.
  19. jobberone

jobberone Kane Ala Staff Member

49,976 Messages
    13,339 Likes Received
    That's disgusting.

Trouty and Deep_Freeze like this.
  20. Melonfeud

Melonfeud Well-Known Member

2,499 Messages
    3,124 Likes Received
    Prediction: eli is picked off twice in the opening game,, Hanna.