1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPN: Cowboys won't have Tony Romo forever

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by CCBoy, Jan 26, 2012.

1. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

16,922 Messages
    1,231 Likes Received
    Cowboys won't have Tony Romo forever

Dallas has a solid QB but should start planning for the future by drafting another
    By Calvin Watkins

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/7503817/the-dallas-cowboys-tony-romo-forever

...."We've got a lot of work to do with our personnel," Jones said. "The good news is that we're not starting out at quarterback. We've got a competitor there and we've got a lot of good skill people around him."

The Cowboys don't want to be stuck with a quarterback who has just one playoff win since 2006 and is entering the last year of his contract with no viable backup available.

Jones has searched for a replacement for Troy Aikman since he retired. He's drafted just three quarterbacks since 2000, and one of them the Cowboys converted to wide receiver. Of course, the Cowboys signed numerous players, including Drew Bledsoe, Chad Hutchinson and Vinny Testaverde. But since Aikman retired after the 2000 season, the Cowboys have used 15 different quarterbacks.

To put that in prospective, the Green Bay Packers have used just five quarterbacks. The Washington Redskins, a team with its own quarterback troubles, have needed 14 different quarterbacks to throw passes since 2000....
  2. CowboyMike

CowboyMike Stay Thirsty, My Friends

5,199 Messages
    95 Likes Received
    ***? Seriously? Now the Cowboys are still looking for Troy Aikman's replacement? Please.

Was this article even necessary?

CAN THE DALLAS MEDIA EVER WRITE ANYTHING POSITIVE??!! I know you're out there reading this!
  3. LandryFan

LandryFan Well-Known Member

2,086 Messages
    180 Likes Received
    Which is it, Calvin...does he have one year or two years left on his contract?
    Does this guy even read his own stuff?!
  4. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,070 Messages
    2,839 Likes Received
    I will say by next season Dallas has to find a QB who they feel can be groomed and take over the spot. I admit it is a concern that when Tony does leave that we will be in the same boat as we were when Troy left
  5. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Absolutely. Some fans take it as a slap at Romo that some view things as you do, but it's just smart football and smart planning. Getting stuck without a strong alternative once Tony retires or his skills fade could cause problems for years.
  6. Doomsday101

77,070 Messages
    2,839 Likes Received
    I agree. Dallas had Roger we still went out and drafted Danny White.

GB had Brett and drafted Hasselbeck and then traded him to Seahawks a couple of years later but turned around and drafted Rodger who sat behind Brett for 3 years. It is covering yourself and ensuring that there is a future.

People talk about the window closing one way to keep that window open is by preparing for the future 1 way to do that is get a QB you feel has a future and let him sit and learn behind Romo
  7. Double Trouble

Double Trouble Well-Known Member

8,475 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    What is there positive to say about the organization? The truth sucks. Dwelling on positives when they're heavily outweighed by the negatives doesn't amount to much. That we have a handful of really good players, and most of them are in or at the end of their prime and the team is 14-18 the last 2 years. For a decade and a half we've watched our rivals go deep in the playoffs while Jones repeatedly makes a mess of the roster, even now after Parcells had finally rebuilt it.

If you want them to focus on the positive, you're asking them to be dishonest, if you expect any objectivity about the team.
  8. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,493 Messages
    6,211 Likes Received
    Oh, fer Chrissakes. This is a 500 ball club with a franchise QB in place, a promising young coach, and an owner willing to spend what it takes to improve and more ninny-fans than any other organization in sports. Stop the whining already.
  9. rags747

rags747 Well-Known Member

1,076 Messages
    126 Likes Received
    My view is that we have another 3 drafts to find a qb. Tony will play at least until he is 36.
  10. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,225 Messages
    1,168 Likes Received
    They did draft Stephen McGee, so it isn't as if they have ignored the position or the future. Maybe McGee isn't the answer, but at least they were trying. I think they will draft one this year as well, but probably not in the early rounds unless one drops to them. It sounds as if they would have drafted Dalton this past draft and were ready to do so if he was still available to them.

I get the impression that Dallas knows they have to prepare for the future, but they aren't going to force the issue or make it their primary focus. At least not yet.
  11. Doomsday101

77,070 Messages
    2,839 Likes Received
    I agree, I don't expect them to look at a QB this season within the 1st 3 rds of the draft. Could it be next year? Maybe so but I think it is in the best interest to go after a QB before you are in dire need than to wait until Romo is gone. I think the oranization knows this after the situation with Troy when he retired.
  12. CowboyMike

5,199 Messages
    95 Likes Received
    If there is anything positive to say, it is about Tony Romo. That is my point.

And tell me, do you remember reading anything positive the last few years when we were winning? My guess is no.
  13. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,147 Messages
    228 Likes Received
    This. We have too many needs that using a high draft pick on a quality QB prospect isn't very smart right now. Sure we can draft someone in the 4th round or later but there's no guarantee that they'll turn out even better than Stephen McGee. In 2 years, sure...if we find someone we like in the 1st or 2nd round, then you go for it.

In today's NFL, you need a Top-10 QB if you want to contend and most of the top guys you're seeing all are 1st or 2nd rounders. Sure there are diamond in the rough exceptions like Tom Brady and Romo but overall, Manning, Rodgers, Brees, Rivers, Stafford, Roethlisberger, etc...all 1st or 2nd rounders.

When the time comes in a few years, we'll focus on that. Right now, finding a veteran backup should be the focus at QB.
  14. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,739 Messages
    2,413 Likes Received
    This is what passes for journalism these days.
  15. jimnabby

jimnabby Well-Known Member

3,835 Messages
    679 Likes Received
    Agreed. Right now, you draft a QB if and when you get excellent value in the draft - that could be early if somebody falls far enough (think Dalton last year), but it's more likely late. With each passing year that that doesn't happen, though, the urgency has to get greater.
  16. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    We won't have him forever, but we'll probably him for the rest of the decade.
  17. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,288 Messages
    2,709 Likes Received
    I'll be concerned if Romo starts looking Favre-esque, or starts becoming as mobile as Drew Bledsoe. Otherwise, he's just entering his prime in his QB-life, regardless of age.

Takes about 4-5 years for guys to really get 100%...the game just looks like it's in slow motion for Tony now. He's not the same guy he was in 2007 who would sling it into double/triple coverage.
  18. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

8,810 Messages
    377 Likes Received
    Tony Romo's 32 this year. A few more hits, and his career is over.

He can have another 2 or 3 years of productive football before the arm starts to go.
  19. CowboyMike

5,199 Messages
    95 Likes Received
    He sat for four years without taking a hit. In terms of wear and tear and playing age, he is 28.
  20. the_h0wey

the_h0wey Well-Known Member

1,083 Messages
    115 Likes Received
    What a breaking development! I had no idea Tony Romo wasn't going to play for the Cowboys forever. Great Article!!!