1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPN Dallas: Camp chat: Live from the Alamodome V

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jul 30, 2011.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,326 Messages
    3,193 Likes Received
    Jul 30
    1:30
    PM CT

By ESPNDallas.com

Chats will start at 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. everyday. Don't miss a minute of what's happening with the Cowboys with the deepest Cowboys coverage available.

For the Q&A stuff, click the chat link: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4681007/camp-chat-live-from-the-alamodome-v

---------------------
    I'll try to post the live drills, team drills, any injuries, or roster transactions as I see them.

BryanBroaddus:
    In 13 years as a scout, I have never seen a special teams coach that comes up with more ways to teach his scheme than Joe DeCamillis. [via Twitter]

2:50
    Tim MacMahon (ESPNDallas):
    Working on punt team stuff now. Andrew Sendejo and Teddy Williams are the gunners. Sendejo is a guy I could see sticking in the league for a long time as a special teams stud.

2:51
    Danny McCray and Kevin Ogletree are also working as gunners. McCray is the Cowboys' best special teams cover guy. Ogletree hasn't been good in that area.

2:51
    Dez Bryant is among the guys returning punts.

Tim MacMahon (ESPNDallas): Big oohs from the crowd after Sendejo lays out rookie sixth-rounder Dwayne Harris. Not supposed to be tackling to the ground, but Harris landed flat on his back.
  2. The Natural

The Natural Well-Known Member

4,326 Messages
    1,122 Likes Received
    :laugh2:
  3. cowboysfan31

cowboysfan31 Active Member

1,292 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    This is the first practice in pads, correct?
  4. kmp77

kmp77 Active Member

5,945 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yes pads. A coach is being carted off the field right now. Practice stopped.
  5. tomson75

tomson75 Brain Dead Shill

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    IIRC, they were in helmets and shoulder pads in the second practice of Day One.
  6. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,801 Messages
    1,605 Likes Received
    They're thinking the WR coach.

Neck brace and stretchered out.
  7. tomson75

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Probably not the best way for Teddy Williams to secure a job.....:eek::
  8. The Natural

The Natural Well-Known Member

4,326 Messages
    1,122 Likes Received
    Goodness gracious..Keep Teddy away from Dez.
  9. Corleone

Corleone Well-Known Member

1,031 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    It sounds serious, he was taken to a hospital.
  10. tomson75

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    They're reporting Teddy was hurt too.....
  11. WoodysGirl

64,326 Messages
    3,193 Likes Received
    espn_macmahon:
    Teddy Williams was also banged up. He limped off with associate athletic trainer Britt Brown after Robinson was carted off. [via Twitter]

3:06

toddarcher:
    WR Teddy Williams heads to locker room with bad limp. He showed concern for his coach

Tim MacMahon (ESPNDallas): OK, I'll get back to answering questions until competitive action starts. We'll update Jimmy Robinson's condition if/when we get more info.

toddarcher: Offensive staff assistant Keith O'Quinn working with the WRs in Jimmy Robinson's absence.

BryanBroaddus: Know I am on this Ryan defensive scheme kick but love how when in group install, he is working on more blitz packages.

toddarcher: Offensive and defensive linemen wearing knee braces. Looking like they could be mandatory. [via Twitter]
  12. cowboysfan31

cowboysfan31 Active Member

1,292 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Apparently Teddy knocked Robinson out cold, but he had movement when he came to.
  13. Hoofbite

31,801 Messages
    1,605 Likes Received
    These chat sessions suck.

The dumbest questions get through. I've asked a few and not a single one has popped up.
  14. sureletsrace

sureletsrace Official CZ Homer

1,711 Messages
    107 Likes Received

Agreed completely. I ask very well thought out, well typed, valid questions that are thought provoking and interesting. And they pick questions like:

"HOW IS DEZ DOES HE LOOK HEALTHY READY TO GO LOL GO COWBOYS!!!"

It's incredibly irritating. Actually, yesterday, I got fed up with it and gave them a piece of my mind in the comment box. I told them they were complete jokes and didn't pick the good questions because they aren't smart enough to give solid answers.
  15. WoodysGirl

64,326 Messages
    3,193 Likes Received
    espn_macmahon:
    Cowboys WR coach Jimmy Robinson was taken to hospital for series of tests. Was knocked unconscious. Had movement in arms and legs.

Tim MacMahon (ESPNDallas): Team drills have started ... John Phillips drops a seam route from McGee. Ball was a little behind him, but that was to protect Phillips from Barry Church.

calvinwatkins: Team official WR coach Jimmy Robinson going to local hospital for tests.

Tim MacMahon (ESPNDallas): Brandon Williams beats Tyron Smith around the edge. Smith is playing RT. Probably would have been a sack, but McGee dumps it off to Miller in the flat.

[IMG]Tim MacMahon (ESPNDallas):
    LB Alex Albright, an undrafted rookie from Boston College, shoots gap to get to Miller in the backfield. ... McGee missed a wide-open Raymond Radway on a deep route. Radway, a sprinter at Abilene Christian, toasted CB Mario Butler

Tim MacMahon (ESPNDallas): Josh Brent whips undrafted C Kevin Kowalski to get to QB Zack Eskridge. Brent's strength is gonna give that guy major problems. ... Eskridge gets happy feet and scrambles the next snap.

BryanBroaddus: Young, Arkin and Smith all working with the first line in this practice. Those are the guys that will either grow like Free or put OL behind

Tim MacMahon (ESPNDallas): Albright bats down an Eskridge pass after coming on a blitz. Albright is having a good practice for a guy I had to look up on the roster. ... Phillips makes a nice catch on a ball behind him from McGee on a short crossing route.

Tim MacMahon (ESPNDallas): Miscommunication between McGee and Leong on a comeback route causes an incompletion. Can't expect an Aggie and Red Raider to get along.

BryanBroaddus: John Phillips doing what he does best as a "stunt man" working the middle of the field gaining separation. Hands so dependable.
  16. WoodysGirl

64,326 Messages
    3,193 Likes Received
    calexmendez Carlos A. Mendez
    Cowboys receivers practice holding on to the ball while two defenders try to strip it. The Roy Williams drill, right?

1 minute ago

derekeagleton Derek Eagleton
    Cowboys practicing a drill where defenders trying to rip ball from WRs & TEs. Reminds me of Roy Williams fumble vs Saints.

clarencehilljr Clarence Hill

Cowboys working on the Roy Williams don't fumble drill..protecting against someone coming from behind or side like what happend vs. Saints.l

robphillips3 Rob Phillips
    Interesting drill...two waves of defenders. Linebackers close in first, then corners close in on ball-carrier.
  17. Hoofbite

31,801 Messages
    1,605 Likes Received
    Case in point.

I try asking a question about the status of the FS/SS hunt and it didn't get posted.

This one just popped up though after McMahon was taking shots at Roy.

18. WoodysGirl

64,326 Messages
    3,193 Likes Received
    Tim MacMahon (ESPNDallas): Got 1-on-1s going ... Mike Jenkins picked off an underthrown Romo deep ball to Dez. ... Scandrick flagged for interference on a short route by Ogletree.

BryanBroaddus: Nice job right out of the box for Jenkins against Dez, looked like he tried a shutter go, that Jenkins didnt bite on for INT.

Tim MacMahon (ESPNDallas): Romo overthrew Titus Ryan on a deep ball. He had a step on Ross Weaver. ... Dez gets wide-open on a crossing route against Chris Randle for an easy catch. Little push-off to create separation.

Tim MacMahon (ESPNDallas): Nice catch by Austin on a comeback in front of Newman. ... Dwayne Harris fought for the ball in front of Sendejo on a crossing route.

Tim MacMahon (ESPNDallas): Pretty one-handed catch by Ogletree on a deep fade over his outside shoulder. Romo put ball on opposite side of the corner. ... Moturi takes way too long to make a double-move. QB won't have that much time.

BryanBroaddus: The one thing that Dwayne Harris showed me on tape was his ability to make plays in trafiic. He will struggle to separate but can make catch

Tim MacMahon (ESPNDallas): Lyle Leong gets good separation from Randle on a crossing route. ... Dez twists to catch a back-shoulder ball in front of Jenkins. ... Drop by Ryan on an out.

Tim MacMahon (ESPNDallas): Another nice play by Ogletree, who extended to catch Kitna's deep ball after getting Scandrick to bite on in cut. ...

Tim MacMahon (ESPNDallas): Newman jumps comeback by Manny Johnson. Accurate throw by McGee woulda been picked ... Leong torches Randle deep.

BryanBroaddus: Going to be a battle all camp between Dez and Jenkins. Dez's answer to Jenkins' press is to try and push off. Needs to develop moves

Tim MacMahon (ESPNDallas): Dez goes up over Scandrick to catch a ball on the sideline 20 yards downfield. Looked like Dez was almost jogging, but Scandrick had no chance when Romo put the ball up high.

calvinwatkins: Dez Bryant having a strong practice on these 1-1 drills with the DBs.

Tim MacMahon (ESPNDallas): 1-on-1s are over. ... Offensive skill players are running plays vs. air. LBs and DBs are working on coverages on other side of field.

BryanBroaddus:
    Thoughts on Dwayne Harris. He is not fast nor overally quick but he has a nice feel how to position his body to make plays in traffic. [via
    toddarcher: Lots of excitement over 1-on-1 drills w/ WR and DBs. Too unrealistic and favors WRs like pass rush drills favor DL [via Twitter]

toddarcher: Keith Brooking a spectator 4 afternoon practice with his hamstring injury.

Tim MacMahon (ESPNDallas): Team drills are starting. Tyron Smith at RT, Sam Young at LT.

Tim MacMahon (ESPNDallas): Screen to Felix doesn't work. Lee and Ratliff were right there, chasing the play down outside the numbers.

Tim MacMahon (ESPNDallas): Screen to Felix on the other side gets some yardage. Ball went right through AOA's hands. ...

Tim MacMahon (ESPNDallas): Quick hitch to Dez. Crowd gets excited when he goes up sideline, but Scandrick was in position to make tackle after short gain. .... Olshansky is next to Ratliff in the nickel.

BryanBroaddus: Garrett has run screens first three plays out of the box. Maybe he is trying to keep Ryan from blitzing him?

Tim MacMahon (ESPNDallas): Another screen, this one to Phillip Tanner. He's got some burst. That had a chance to be a big play against the third-team D.

calvinwatkins: Dez Bryant talking to trainer britt brown.

[IMG]Tim MacMahon (ESPNDallas):
    Felix had some room to run behind RG Holland. Lee met him after a 4-yard gain.

calvinwatkins: Bryant seems ok, hes back out here. [via Twitter

Tim MacMahon (ESPNDallas): Holland got a good block on Ware on a trap play, but there was no push up front. Short gain for Felix.

BryanBroaddus: Holland with a nice trap block on Ware pulling to his left, allowed Jones to hit the hole right off his rear.

Tim MacMahon (ESPNDallas): Lonyae Miller met by a crowd in the backfield. Sean Lissemore was at the front of the pack. ... Miller gets about four yards behind RT Smith.

Tim MacMahon (ESPNDallas): Ware doesn't make stop, but he blew up a run to Miller in the backfield. He met Gronkowski three yards deep, forcing Miller to cut before he wanted.

Tim MacMahon (ESPNDallas): Holland gets another nice block on a trap, this one vs. Spencer. He's moving well for a rotund dude.

Tim MacMahon (ESPNDallas): Big collision between FB Chapas and LB Cummings on a lead draw. Chapas is more of a thumper than Gronkowski.

BryanBroaddus: Lee physical at point of attack taking on block of Arkin, shedding him and making tackle. Lee has prepared strength wise for this season.

Tim MacMahon (ESPNDallas): Another good lead block by Chapas. He stood up LB Orie Lemon.
  19. sureletsrace

sureletsrace Official CZ Homer

1,711 Messages
    107 Likes Received
    Sounds pretty good.
  20. HoyaParanoya

HoyaParanoya New Member

101 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I have a feeling I'm going to be sick of screens this year.