1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPN Dallas: Position battle: Keep both backup NTs?

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Aug 25, 2010.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

66,662 Messages
    6,399 Likes Received
    Aug 25
    8:24
    PM CT

By Tim MacMahon

OXNARD, Calif. -- As he was discussing the Cowboys’ intentions to keep a close eye on the waiver wire after final cuts, Jerry Jones suddenly changed the subject.

“Let me mention another couple of players: [Junior] Siavii and Josh Brent,” Jones said. “I’m really comfortable with what we’ve done to get us depth and get us a backup, insurance policy with [Jay] Ratliff. I’m not saying that they make up for Ratliff not being in there, but I am saying that those two players are really having a good camp.”

The perception is that the Cowboys can keep either Siavii or Brent, but not both. Neither has worked at all at defensive end, so it doesn’t seem to make much sense to have two backups for an All-Pro who rarely takes a snap off.

But Jones claims that the Cowboys could keep the veteran Siavii and supplemental seventh-round pick Brent.

Read more: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4671285/position-battle-keep-both-backup-nts
  2. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    I could see them keeping Brent as a 53rd man that's never active, but is kept as a developmental player.
  3. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,098 Messages
    1,340 Likes Received
    I can also envision a red zone defense having all three flanked by Spears and Olshansky. That would be some hard running through that group with Spencer and Ware on the outside. Something along the line of the 64, modified.
  4. sbark

sbark Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,726 Messages
    253 Likes Received
    I could see Brent as being able to man both DE and NT position better than Salivi.

His continuous motor and Hustle, much like the Rat --who used to be a DE could save a Roster position as Spears/Hatcher move on in Salary moves over time.
  5. DCBoysfan

DCBoysfan Hardwork and Dedication Zone Supporter

4,494 Messages
    198 Likes Received

Very good observation, I was thinking that we could keep them both in a similar fashion. If we cut one, whomever is cut is going to be snatched up.
  6. The Realist

The Realist Active Member

3,284 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I can envision Jerry trying to hype up Siavii so we can salvage a pick from the Dolphins instead of cutting him outright.
  7. baj1dallas

baj1dallas New Member

6,556 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    lol there's almost no way. But I see Siavii as being a very able backup, certainly never dominant but he's looked reasonable good at NT in the preseason, whereas I'm not sure you'd want to rely on Price quite yet if Rat did go down.