1. Like videos? Check out DirectDamage.com!

News: ESPN: Jerry Jones would like Spencer to return

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by NewsBot, Sep 25, 2013.

1. L-O-Jete

L-O-Jete Member

939 Messages
    21 Likes Received
    Good GM's get a "home discount", bad GM's give "veteran bonuses".
    Guess what Jerruh does...
  2. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

35,148 Messages
    11,749 Likes Received
    Are you speaking generally? Or reading something into this particular quote? Because he's pretty clearly qualifying what he's willing to spend on Spencer here.
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

83,207 Messages
    6,527 Likes Received
    I don't see that. He tagged Spencer feeling he would start and coming off a Pro Bowl season why would they not have high expectations for him? It is not Spencer fault or the Cowboys fault that he is going through this. Crying over something that was out of their control is usless.

GM is a manager correct? Jerry did not get where he is in life by not knowing how to manage people. He did not stumble in being this wealthy.
  4. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

8,907 Messages
    3,212 Likes Received
    Contrary to some of the posts in this thread , this not second guessing
    Many of us said this during last season, when the cowboys FO had plenty of time to plan and long before we decided to franchise spencer for a second time
  5. Idgit

35,148 Messages
    11,749 Likes Received
    That's how I see it. Spencer was playing at a franchise-player level last season, and he hadn't had an injury history or anything other getting up there in age to indicate franchising him at a high number this year was a bad idea. Like any franchise player deal, it was obviously a risk, and when the worst gets realized, and a franchised player is lost for the season, it's easy to second-guess. That doesn't mean it's necessarily a bad risk to franchise a player. It does mean that people who are constantly looking to complain about anything and everything now have something new to complain about.

Even if you were in the camp that Spencer should not be franchised to begin with, unless you were specifically in the camp that he shouldn't be franchised because of a history injury risk or because the cap number was just too high for *any* player in that circumstance--and I don't know of any who were in that camp--second-guessing a player getting hurt as a mistake by the GM doesn't make any sense at all.
  6. visionary

8,907 Messages
    3,212 Likes Received
    i would like to see a list of all DEs franchised 2 times that were averaging 5-6 sacks/year

spencer has been the definition of an average to slightly above average NFL starter his whole career
    you dont suddenly become a franchise player in the NFL at age 30 (laughable assertion)

smacks of poor management, horrible planning, and complete lack of foresight
    you know, everything that is the bread and butter of good NFL GMs

our handling of spencer over the last 2 years is as good an example of bad management as you can get
    sad, that some are trying to make excuse after excuse in a vain effort to justify even this
  7. ravidubey

ravidubey Active Member

4,871 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    Jerry is just attempting to save face at paying 11 or whatever million to a guy who didn't play a down of football.
  8. Idgit

35,148 Messages
    11,749 Likes Received
    He totally should have known in advance that Spencer was going to get hurt. I agree. Now he's back-pedalling like crazy. It's hilarious, huh?
    Doomsday101 likes this.
  9. jobberone

jobberone Ginsu Wolverine Minion Staff Member

43,180 Messages
    6,819 Likes Received
    A SOLB in a 3-4 opposite Ware has a lot of run reads and keys to make before rushing on many pass plays and a lot of snaps in coverage. The sacks he averages and more so last year's total is very very good for that position. Tell me how many times the guy dropped into coverage vs total snaps and number of sacks/hits/pressures per rush snaps. Then you can have an appreciation of what kind on year the guy had. His only 'bad' game was NO and some of that was penalties.

We got our monies worth last year and some. Yeah, this year is a waste but it would be for any player under contract who went down early with a season ending injury. I understand dropping and breaking an expensive full bottle of liquor on the ground is painful but the accident and fall is unrelated otherwise to the cost of the liquor.
  10. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,580 Messages
    460 Likes Received
    Manly post. So true.
  11. Idgit

35,148 Messages
    11,749 Likes Received
    No it's not. Good GMs give contracts to the right players at the right time, bad one's don't. GMs don't get 'deals' just because of the force of their personalities, and it's kind of silly to think it could work that way.
  12. JBell523

JBell523 That's my Quarterback

3,736 Messages
    1,112 Likes Received
    Spencer is getting way too much hate for a guy who's on a 1 year contract. Yeah they could've signed a few free agents with his salary this season. But it's a 1 year contract, which means his salary this year has zero impact on the Cowboys' ability to sign free agents next off-season.

Plus, Selvie and Hayden are playing like big $ free agents, only we got them for pennies.
  13. visionary

8,907 Messages
    3,212 Likes Received
    i know you are trying to side-track the conversation because you have no answer for the main issue that we should not have franchised spencer for a second time and a good FO would have planned for that in the off-season. i bolded and underlined it so that you would not be confused about what the main issue we are discussing is.

please show me, where i have made the argument that jerry should have known that spencer would get hurt since you have brought it up and one other poster keeps bringing it up in a constant attempt to side-track the conversation. this is becasue you are trying to excuse the horrible handling of the whole spencer situation by our FO/jerry. if you cant, please stop using it as a crutch to "refute" arguments that are not being made in the first place.

having said that, the fact is that older players get hurt more, and miss more time and that is part of the reason to have a plan to replace them. of course, jerry and our FO would know that if they spent time trying to put a winning team on the field instead of trying to plan musical events at the stadium.

we franchised spencer (an average 3-4 OLB) to play DE, a position he has not played regularly since college. therefore we had no idea how he would transition, yet we handed him 10 million dollars and made no serious attempts to bring in players on the market that had actually been productive at DE and were cheaper. that makes even less sense

but please continue with the liquor bottle story, it ranks second only to the liquor clerk story
  14. Doomsday101

83,207 Messages
    6,527 Likes Received
    No doubt Jerry should have known months ago that Spencer would be injured and out of the season. lol
  15. dallasdave

dallasdave Well-Known Member

5,928 Messages
    3,842 Likes Received
    Very well said , Spencer don't come back to Dallas!!!!
  16. Idgit

35,148 Messages
    11,749 Likes Received
    Second-guessing and misrepresenting Spencer's ability for this defense aside, it's tricky to know now what he might be worth next season if he were to return. Probably a deal like Waters just got where you have a moderate base with playing-time escalators to protect the team and compensate the player if he comes all the way back. But what does that look like, really? $3M base, with $3-4M in likely-to-be-achieved escalators, with a club-option for a second year? The base is the tricky part.

The problem is Selvie's also on a one-year contract.

Most likely, we'll see what the market does for Spencer and have a gentleman's chance to match it. We probably won't. At this point, I'd rather see the money go to a possible extension for Hatcher, though that's almost the exact problem we face with Anthony Spencer heading into this offseason: is there a moderate deal where you can pay age and have it make sense for your team. The right number exists out there somewhere, but I suspect it's going to be pretty tough to find it.
  17. Doomsday101

83,207 Messages
    6,527 Likes Received
    Hard to say what will take place in terms of Spencer future? Coming off a pro bowl season he had some leverage but with him missing the entire season and his age I think he will be hard pressed getting a big contract anywhere. If he and his agent are willing to work with the Cowboys then I could see him getting a 3 or 4 year contract with Dallas but I don't think they will be able to play hardball with the Cowboys.
  18. Idgit

35,148 Messages
    11,749 Likes Received
    He's in a rough spot, now. Another year to demonstrate that he's back from a microfracture surgery before he gets a long-term deal, and at that point, he'll be too old for a reasonably big long-term deal. He might sign a two-three year deal with escalators built in for another team willing to take more risk. Or, as you say, he can come back to Dallas with a similar deal, but at that point I"d imagine we'd be relatively unlikely to take on much risk. We'd have Selvie and Crawford available, and are probably going to draft DL high next year. It'd have to be something favorable to the club if we do it. As always, that all comes down to the price.
  19. Doomsday101

83,207 Messages
    6,527 Likes Received
    I agree. Any hope Spencer had at a big money contract just went out the window and not just with the Cowboys. I'm sure he will play football next year and if he and his agent are willing to work with the Cowboys I think they can come to a fair deal chances are with built in incentives if on the other hand their demands are too high I think Dallas will walk away from the table.
    Idgit likes this.
  20. Cowboy4ever

Cowboy4ever Well-Known Member

2,144 Messages
    136 Likes Received
    Lots of hate for a guy that has been a very good player for this team. I had no issue with them trying to keep Spencer and work out a deal, I am sure they thought they could before July 15 when the Franchise tag became final. It didn't happen and then he was injured. It was not bad planning, lack of foresight or whatever other nonsense you guys want to throw out there. It was a calculated business decision that didn't work out. Spencer is one of the better players in this league, why not try to keep him on the team? It would be silly to let a very good player just leave without even trying. But I guess great GMs do that all the time, let top tier players walk because a few fans on a message board can't stand the guy when all they do is read stat lines.
    Idgit likes this.