1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

ESPN laying off hundreds/but still hiring... Post #37

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by WoodysGirl, May 21, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,388 Messages
    4,347 Likes Received
    ******** ‏@******** 4m ESPN confirms the layoffs. A source puts the number in the hundreds. http://deadsp.in/3ddFoh8

ESPN is laying off a portion of its staff today, a network spokesman confirms to us. How many? ESPN won't say. A tipster told us earlier today that it would be more than 400 staffers. A source at ESPN said that number is a little high, but it appears to be in the hundreds.

We heard the technology group is getting hit pretty hard: at least 40 layoffs are coming there. A source told us that some employees who get a pink slip today can continue working through the end of the week if they'd like. ESPN has 7,000 employees.

More: http://********.com/source-espn-laying-off-hundreds-509043249
  2. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,558 Messages
    5,290 Likes Received
    Wow. 7000 employees. I'd never have guessed they had that kind of headcount.
  3. CashMan

CashMan Well-Known Member

1,322 Messages
    155 Likes Received
    I wonder if NBC is starting to get more of the market.
  4. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,924 Messages
    1,306 Likes Received
    Quite possibly. As good as these NHL playoffs have been, the fact that ESPN has virtually no coverage is probably costing them.

ESPN should start by getting rid of half the knuckleheads they put on the air.
  5. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,442 Messages
    3,707 Likes Received
    If anything they might encourage more of the idiotic over the top Skip/S.A.Smith type of crap to get more people to watch.
  6. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,924 Messages
    1,306 Likes Received
    Probably...but that doesn't mean a man can't dream :laugh2:
  7. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,674 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Problem with that is, those knuckleheads are all under contract.

In the report, it stated that ESPN wasn't hitting the profit margin demanded by its parent company, Disney, mainly due to paying huge fees for exclusive rights event coverage. The layoffs are a way to cut costs to help preserve profit margins.
  8. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

11,895 Messages
    907 Likes Received
    In other words...they want to see revenue growth. Making record profit simply isn't good enough for Disney.

YR
  9. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,867 Messages
    424 Likes Received
    NBC and CBS. I know I prefer NBC Sports because I watch hockey, F1, and soccer. Plus I'm tired of Tebow garbage.
  10. BAZ

BAZ Drunken Mick

2,451 Messages
    299 Likes Received
    In my dreams SAS, Simmons, Matt Berry and Wilbon get the bullet.
  11. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,674 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    Yep. Of course, I have stock in Disney, so I'm conflicted.
  12. coogrfan

coogrfan Well-Known Member

1,443 Messages
    157 Likes Received
    :rolleyes:

Most of America isn't even aware the NHL still exists.
  13. jimmy40

jimmy40 Well-Known Member

15,089 Messages
    278 Likes Received
    aren't they on strike, or locked out or something?
  14. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    Hockey is now a minor sport and not many care
  15. Yakuza Rich

11,895 Messages
    907 Likes Received
    Yes, and eventually Disney will blame you and the other stockholders for 'forcing them' to do this when you have no real say in the matter. As a person who also has stock in some major corporations, this always ticks me off when the company pulls that crap.

YR
  16. Yakuza Rich

11,895 Messages
    907 Likes Received
    Hockey has nothing to do with what Disney is doing. ESPN renewed agreements for sports and that new agreement costs more. They would still be making record profit, but they wouldn't be making the margins they once made.

This is very much like the NFL lockout. Despite what the owners claimed, they were making record profit. They just were seeing their sales growth plateau. Today's corporate America generally doesn't care about record breaking profit. They care about profit and sales growth.

Why?

Because they always want the option of being able to sell the company and collect the huge payout if necessary.

While I doubt Jerry and Dan Snyder would want to sell their teams, they always want that option. And owners like Jerry Richardson are always considering selling their team if the price is right.

Disney is the same way with ESPN. And nothing is more attractive to potential buyers than record breaking profit and sales growth. You gotta have both. And unfortunately, payroll is almost always the first thing to go.

YR
  17. Hook'em#11

Hook'em#11 Well-Known Member

2,628 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    That's because most of America is into American Idol and other stupid reality shows..

Oh and of course the ever increasing watered down sport the NFL.;)
  18. Boston Cowboy

Boston Cowboy Member

87 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Which is a shame because the product is great, much better than the NBA and MLB right now. I have no care in the world for the NBA playoffs right now, but the NHL playoffs have been intense and exciting, with hits that rival anything in the NFL. Add to that the fact that the game rarely stops except for faceoffs and penalties, and you have 60 minutes of pure adrenaline.

Every company wants to see revenue growth. You won't last long in business if you continue to see stagnant or declining revenue. As Picksix accurately stated, reducing headcount is a short-term solution to maintaining or increasing profit margins, as that reduces operating expenses (fixed costs). ESPN is just one of many entities within the Disney portfolio, but it's also one that carries huge expenses. If ESPN's margins aren't at a good level, they can have collateral effects on the full Disney corporation and, in turn, diminish returns to shareholders.
  19. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,924 Messages
    1,306 Likes Received
    Myth.

Actually, attendance and TV ratings are at all time highs.
  20. dogunwo

dogunwo Waves that make you sea-sick

5,380 Messages
    161 Likes Received
    I wonder if the Ed Werder camera guy gets to keep his job