1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPN NFCE: Graziano: On the Cowboys' defensive draft focus

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, May 1, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,319 Messages
    3,185 Likes Received
    Apr 30
    4:30
    PM ET
    By Dan Graziano | ESPN.com

Todd Archer's column on ESPNDallas.com notes that the Dallas Cowboys' focus during the draft, as it has been for much of the offseason, was on the defensive side of the ball, and that it's an unusual thing for a team whose head coach is also the offensive coordinator. I would argue that the reason is because defense was clearly the Cowboys' biggest problem last season, and surely even an offensive-minded head coach like Jason Garrett would be able to see that, with or without a Princeton education.

But Archer's point is that the willingness of Garrett to allow this offseason to be taken over by defense speaks to his own confidence about his ability to lead the offense. He has reason to believe in skill-position players such as Tony Romo, Dez Bryant, Miles Austin and, if healthy, DeMarco Murray. And the addition of new offensive line coach Bill Callahan as well as a couple of free-agent offensive linemen should help address the biggest problem the offense had last season -- the line. Archer reaches the following conclusion:

With a healthy Romo (he played six games needing a painkilling injection for a broken rib), a healthy Bryant and healthy Austin (they suffered through quadriceps and hamstring injuries) and perhaps most important a healthy Murray, who had 789 yards in seven full games as the every-down back before suffering an ankle injury, the Cowboys' offense should be better in 2012.
    That's what's Garrett is betting on. Those players … and himself.
    I think this is a perfectly reasonable conclusion.

Read more: http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/38777/on-the-cowboys-defensive-draft-focus
  2. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

26,409 Messages
    1,744 Likes Received
    Graziano is all over the map. Put down the meth, bro.
  3. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,161 Messages
    2,751 Likes Received
    He forgot our new FB Vickers.
  4. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

26,409 Messages
    1,744 Likes Received
    He forgot his brain, too.