1. CowboysZone Upgrade Coming Soon! For more information, click here.

News: ESPN NFCE: Should Cowboys pursue Finnegan?

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Mar 7, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Everything is everything... Staff Member

69,183 Messages
    9,702 Likes Received
    Mar 6
    11:41
    AM ET
    By Dan Graziano

Which brings us to the Dallas Cowboys, who need a cornerback, and Cortland Finnegan, a former Tennessee Titans quarterback who's now a free agent. There seems little doubt that Finnegan should be high on the Cowboys' list of free-agent targets along with former Chief Brandon Carr. But any team that looks to sign a free agent wants to know as much as possible about him -- and about why he became a free agent. Fortunately for us, as we contemplate Cowboy needs, we have Paul Kuharsky, the estimable steward of the AFC South blog, to explain to us why Tennessee is letting Finnegan go:

Here's why: They don't think he's a $10 million a year corner. While he's a very good and versatile defensive back, he's not going to single-handedly erase a top receiver every week. Even had the Titans decided to give him the franchise tag, he would have hated it and griped. He's a good guy at heart, and did a lot for the team and the community, but his nasty streak, on and off the field, could show up at bad moments and be unhealthy. The last time he got money, he didn't react to a fatter wallet well.
    So there you have it, Cowboys fans. Caveat emptor, which applies to every free-agent pursuit for various reasons.

Read more: http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/36719/should-cowboys-pursue-cortland-finnegan
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

81,573 Messages
    5,514 Likes Received
    I would rather have Carr than Finnegan
  3. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,760 Messages
    676 Likes Received
    Ditto.. but that's purely based off age rather than personality. Finnegan isn't a bad guy. He's won the Tennessee organization's Man of the Year award two years in a row now for his charity work off the field and i've never heard of him being a locker room problem at all. He can be a punk on the field at times, but that's part of football.

But again, i'll take the FA CB who is equally as good, if not better, and also 3 years younger.
  4. johnnyd

johnnyd Active Member

1,657 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    agreed.
  5. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

81,573 Messages
    5,514 Likes Received
    I would be pretty happy with either one but if I had my choice I would go with Carr. I just think Carr is the better player of the 2.
  6. DCBoysfan

DCBoysfan Hardwork and Dedication

4,739 Messages
    335 Likes Received
    I perfer Carr I think he is a little bit better and I like his size.
  7. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

24,739 Messages
    1,878 Likes Received
    I would rather have Carr. That's my favorite at the CB spot in FA.

But I'm slowly starting to warm to the idea of this guy potentially being a Cowboy.
  8. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

4,235 Messages
    298 Likes Received
    Carr will be a Cowboy on the first day of FA
  9. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,760 Messages
    676 Likes Received
    That would be more than i could hope for. :D
  10. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

34,316 Messages
    10,473 Likes Received
    I'd rather Carr, too, because he's younger. But both are more than capable CB options with the right contracts.
  11. Fletch

Fletch To The Moon

11,240 Messages
    2,152 Likes Received
    Yep. Once he flies in, he will not leave without a signed contract. I'll put money on it.
  12. AMERICAS_FAN

AMERICAS_FAN Active Member

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Sign Carr as a CB and Finnigan as a FS. There, I have solved all of our secondary problems. :D
  13. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

25,825 Messages
    15,604 Likes Received
    Not just no, but bleep no.

The same with Carr. Wasted money. No impact.
  14. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

7,660 Messages
    1,000 Likes Received
    :lmao: