1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

ESPN: NFLPA files collusion suit vs. NFL

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Reality, May 23, 2012.

1. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,862 Messages
    1,675 Likes Received
    NFLPA files collusion suit vs. NFL

The contentious relationship between the NFL and the NFL Players Association continued Wednesday when the union filed a federal lawsuit alleging that the league and its owners conspired in collusion to establish a "secret $123 million salary cap" in 2010, which under the previous labor agreement was designated as an uncapped year of spending.

Instead, the NFLPA claims that it learned on or about March 12 of this year that four teams -- the Washington Redskins, Dallas Cowboys, Oakland Raiders and New Orleans Saints -- did not abide by the NFL's secret rules that effectively advised teams to operate in 2010 under a $123 million salary cap.

The NFL in March penalized the Redskins and Cowboys in cap spending at $36 million and $10 million sums, respectively, during the next two years, a decision that was recently upheld by Special Master Stephen Burbank's ruling, citing the NFLPA's agreement to an arrangement that would redistribute the money to other teams for cap spending.

An NFLPA source said that the union was "strong-armed" into the agreement because the cap would have been set at a league-wide $113 million per team, instead of $120 million.

Full Article

----

Nice work, Mara!

#reality
  2. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

12,622 Messages
    989 Likes Received
    Yeah, Great Work Mara

How is that for a backfire? lol idiot
  3. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Well-Known Member

4,689 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    a merge is brewing
  4. Bowdown27

Bowdown27 Well-Known Member

2,660 Messages
    269 Likes Received
    ha seriously ?? mara look what you started now you classless ***
  5. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,862 Messages
    1,675 Likes Received
    No merging .. this is an article thread while the other was a tweet.

#reality
  6. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Zone Supporter

28,422 Messages
    1,907 Likes Received
    Well, THIS was totally UNexpected. :lmao2:
  7. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

12,622 Messages
    989 Likes Received
    You are talking to the Head Honcho of this message board....Nobody would dare mess with his thread, either way

But yeah....I hope Mara feels like ****
  8. cobra

cobra Salty Bastard

3,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    When this all came out, I told you all this is what would happen.

And it is a winner case.
  9. a_minimalist

4,689 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    Oh okay.
  10. a_minimalist

4,689 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    "The filing of these claims is prohibited by the Collective Bargaining Agreement and separately by an agreement signed by the players' attorneys last August. The claims have absolutely no merit and we fully expect them to be dismissed."

This bothers me, a lot.
  11. cobra

cobra Salty Bastard

3,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The "waiver" argument will not hold up.

Dallas and the Redskins should join in the case with the NFLPA. They probably won't for political reasons, but it would really strengthen the case legally because Dallas and the Redskins have strong standing to challenge collusion of other owners.
  12. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,808 Messages
    1,674 Likes Received
    this is going to get messy. Collusion is illegal- you cannot get a permit for it as basically the NFL is claiming.
  13. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,316 Messages
    219 Likes Received
    lol. They *signed off* on the deal when they fined the Cowboys and Redskins officially boosting the salary cap.

The NFLPA leadership are as stupid as they come.

The Cowboys said they wouldn't file suit, but the Redskins said they haven't decided. Well, both the Cowboys and Redskins should file suit against both the NFL and the NFLPA for collusion. The Cowboys and Redskins actions said they were not in collision with the other NFL teams when they did what they did. The NFL and the NFLPA clearly were when the NFLPA signed the agreement to the fines for the sole reason of upping the salary cap for that season. (ie, bought off)

I have no doubt that the arbitrator was paid off too.
  14. cobra

cobra Salty Bastard

3,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Interesting that this is pled almost entirely as a breach of the SSA in the Reggie White case. I would have liked to see them plead an outright Sherman Act violation, but, as a I noted above, they really want a team to step up and carry that banner.
  15. Sam I Am

31,316 Messages
    219 Likes Received
    They are suing over something that happen when there was no CBA in effect. (which makes it illegal) Not sure that statement has any merit at all.
  16. muck4doo

muck4doo Well-Known Member

2,008 Messages
    92 Likes Received
    If they win the suit, I hope the teams vote that Mara pay the lions share of the bill, be forced to sell his team, and end up living in squalor in New Jersey.
  17. a_minimalist

4,689 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    What bothers me is the fact that they act like collusion isn't illegal within the NFL. Apparently, the NFL follows it's own rules, not the rules the rest of America abide by. It's just plain stupid.
  18. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Zone Supporter

28,422 Messages
    1,907 Likes Received
    New Jersey is too good for him. How about Bangladesh instead? :)
  19. Sam I Am

31,316 Messages
    219 Likes Received
    We've known this for a long time. As Howie Long once said. (or something like this) "If baseball is the 800lbs gorilla in the room. The NFL is the 8,000 ton gorilla."

When you are that big and that much clout. You will get a huge ego and start pushing your way around and threaten anyone that stands in your way.

John Mara needs his *** seriously kicked.
  20. Sam I Am

31,316 Messages
    219 Likes Received
    Bangladesh sounds like an upgrade to New Jersey. :muttley: