1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPN: Phil Costa has MRI, but spot not open yet

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by CCBoy, Sep 7, 2012.

1. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

16,890 Messages
    1,216 Likes Received
    Phil Costa has MRI, but spot not open yet

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4697190/phil-costa-has-mri-but-spot-not-open-yet

IRVING, Texas -- Phil Costa had an MRI to determine the severity of the back injury that tightened up after three snaps in Wednesday’s win against the New York Giants, but Cowboys coach Jason Garrett was not ready to say the center position is open for competition.

“I don’t want to get into that right now,” Garrett said. “We want Costa to get back. Costa’s been our starting center for a reason. We like him a lot. But at the same time, we want to make sure he’s healthy. I thought he did a really good job working to get back and it just shows you the kind of mental toughness that he has. He was determined to play, and his back really wasn’t quite right. We really found out about it on the first play. He tried to gut it out on plays two and three, but then we had to put Ryan in on the second series.”

Costa missed the first three preseason games because of a low back strain but was able to get 12 snaps of work in the Miami preseason finale. The Cowboys acquired Cook in a trade from the Dolphins after the game, but he had just a handful of walkthrough snaps with Tony Romo before being forced on the field...
  2. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    I think they need to start relying so much on the MRI. It has tremendous limitations with mechanical back issues and is much more useful for those who have "pinched nerves" which usually cause some neurological symptoms and not just back tightness.

Costa probably needs an extended period of rest from active football to let his back heal before putting major stress on it again.

He's a tough kid but he needs to rest because we need a reliable player on gameday who can play when his number is called and he's not there right now.
  3. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,249 Messages
    562 Likes Received
    Couldn't agree more. Should never mess around when it comes to the neck or the back, IMO.
  4. Mattb_25

Mattb_25 Member

255 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    Yeah Costa needs to rest more. Cook played pretty good considering his circumstances. I think he could definitely shore up the center spot.