1. CowboysZone Upgrade Coming Soon! For more information, click here.

News: ESPN: Rod Marinelli plans more man coverage

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by NewsBot, Jun 4, 2014.

1. adbutcher

adbutcher K9NME

10,890 Messages
    550 Likes Received
    Having 3 primetimes man the corners and 2 darren woodson at each safety could not have played good coverage behind our DL.

Like it or not but so go our OL/DL, so goes our team.
  2. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

27,763 Messages
    7,762 Likes Received
    The pass rush is huge, but there were times where we actually did get pressure even with the bad line we had and the coverage was poor. There is no singular unit to blame exclusively. You can go by degrees but it was a total defensive failure, not just because the line was bad. The DBs did not do their jobs effectively.
  3. adbutcher

adbutcher K9NME

10,890 Messages
    550 Likes Received
    Times? Not many and even then if one of those times we are in a zone while the rush is strong and the QB/WR recognizes it, completing a 3 step drop slant on 3 and 6 will negate the few times our DL applied pressure. After injuries we probably had one of the worse DL rotations in the history of NFL. This not only affected the LBs and Secondary but the Offense too.

Like it or not but football is very chess like with the exception that any chess piece can kick the arse of another piece even if the piece is played perfectly but I digress. The majority of our woes started up front and I don't care who you put behind them, it would have made little difference to the outcome last year.

The DL keeps LBs clean, DL stops the run, the DL can make or break a secondary. Richard Sherman would have struggled behind our DL last year. Sure the DBs have to play better and stay healthy but the aforementioned fact about the importance of a sound DL cannot be minimized.
  4. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

81,773 Messages
    5,596 Likes Received
    Main issue I have with our zone coverage is zone will allow catches but should not give up yards after catch and often times we did allow the yards after the catch. Dallas played zone back with Jimmy but when a WR came over the middle and made the catch he paid the price. James Washington was a hammer in the secondary you might make that catch but that was all nothing afterwards. I fully agree a key is forcing a QB to release the ball before he wants to but one big issue is guys knowing where they are supposed to be not guys running around back there looking at each other trying to figure out is that yours or mine. Know you responsibility and trust that your teammates are doing theirs.
  5. adbutcher

adbutcher K9NME

10,890 Messages
    550 Likes Received
    I agree with the only exception is players like James Washington would not function at a high level in today's NFL. Hell they are calling what is defined as clean hits as penalties in today's game.
  6. Doomsday101

81,773 Messages
    5,596 Likes Received
    I fully agree that in todays game many of those hits would be called a foul. I also think it make running a great zone coverage much harder.
    adbutcher likes this.
  7. adbutcher

adbutcher K9NME

10,890 Messages
    550 Likes Received
    You are spot on sir. Irvin said it best, "WRs no longer need courage to play". Let that sink in, lol.

The risk/reward has definitely swung to the offense. Back in the day, it took a brave soul to run and catch with a safety or lb ready to knock your block off.
  8. Doomsday101

81,773 Messages
    5,596 Likes Received
    It sounds like you are describing football. lol
  9. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

41,828 Messages
    5,961 Likes Received
    Great post and spot on. You have to be able to play differing coverages including man under, man on one, rolling zones from showing man, yada. If you don't the other QB will light you up and you have a great offense unable to keep up with the scoring of the other team; ie, like last year.
    adbutcher likes this.
  10. adbutcher

adbutcher K9NME

10,890 Messages
    550 Likes Received
    Indeed, Seattle really laid the blueprint for winning a superbowl in this era of football. What's surprising is the amount of late round picks, failed NFL coach, and washed up players on that team. They had a lot of no names coupled with a proficient passing game and great running game. If I weren't a realist I would say that a certain team with a star on their helmets share a lot of the same characteristics. :)
    jobberone likes this.
  11. adbutcher

adbutcher K9NME

10,890 Messages
    550 Likes Received
    Forgive me but this use to be the place for that. :p
  12. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

10,300 Messages
    2,783 Likes Received
    again ill repeat something ive been saying all offseason. If these players know their job and do the fundamentals they win 2-3 more games. Ither then the saints and bears games. Dallas couldve won every other game if they just did their job. Nothing special just did their job.
  13. Craig

Craig Well-Known Member

960 Messages
    568 Likes Received
    A good front can cover up a bad secondary but the secondary can never cover up for a bad front. Getting burned a few times when the pass rush actually happens could be pinned on the secondary, but that secondary has been scrambling all over the field forthe last 3 plays because the pass rush wasnt there and theyre exhausted. Dallas' secondar fall pretty far down the list of problems with the front 7 being occupying the top several spots on said list.
  14. Doomsday101

81,773 Messages
    5,596 Likes Received
    Yeah I remember when men once played a game called football. Now they play a different game it is ashame. It is like going to a bull fight and instead of a bull it is a goat, just not the same. lol
  15. Doomsday101

81,773 Messages
    5,596 Likes Received
    Having good coverage can force a QB to hold on to the ball a bit longer and often that extra time will result in sacks and hurried passes.
  16. the_h0wey

the_h0wey Well-Known Member

1,125 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    Good News. I think this will help Claiborne tremendously.
  17. Craig

Craig Well-Known Member

960 Messages
    568 Likes Received
    And if you have the best secondary in the history of the game and ask that of them more than a couple of times per possession, youre asking too much.
  18. Doomsday101

81,773 Messages
    5,596 Likes Received
    I think DL and secondary go hand in hand and both can benifet off the others play. Yes a strong rush can be a big help to a secondary on the other hand when CB and safety playing good techinque and in good position they can force the QB to pull the ball back down and that can result in sacks and hurries.
  19. StarBoyz83

StarBoyz83 Well-Known Member

4,323 Messages
    849 Likes Received
    This will help claiborne and carr big time.
  20. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

41,828 Messages
    5,961 Likes Received
    Better offense. Worse defense; much worse. But it could be better than worse this year. :)