1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPN Watkins: Doug Free flawless so far at left tackle

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Juke99, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Juke99

Juke99 ...Abbey someone

22,270 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Doug Free flawless so far at left tackle
    Tackle rewards Cowboys' confidence in him with spotless play at his new position

RVING, Texas -- There is always uncertainty when you move any player to a new position.

Hudson Houck, the Dallas Cowboys' offensive line coach, wasn't concerned, however, when the team moved Doug Free from right to left tackle in the offseason.

The Cowboys made the move to get younger at the position, cutting a 30-something Flozell Adams for a 20-something Free. They figured they saw enough in Free in 2009, when he started seven games at right tackle for the injured Marc Colombo

read more... http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/columns/story?columnist=watkins_calvin&id=5635817
  2. GOLDENCHILD1688

GOLDENCHILD1688 Well-Known Member

4,325 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    hes been everything i hoped he would be so far.

its always great to bring a player like free up in your system especially when our ability to draft o-line players have been in question by some
  3. Cowboysfan570

Cowboysfan570 Well-Known Member

1,063 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    If Free continues at this level there is no reason that he shouldn't make the Pro Bowl this season. That is a big if, but I think he can continue to perform like this.

Guy wasn't called Freak for nothing.
  4. sago1

sago1 Active Member

7,789 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Agree it's just great to see one of our own young OTs step up to become our starting LT, do a good jump & not hear his name called for any penalties. Hopefully he stays healthy the whole season. We have a more then decent starting OL (albeit an aging OL except for Free) & Holland appears to do well at LG. But do remain concerned about the backup situation at OC & RT.

I know we have Sam Young (whose recovering from a preseason injury) & also Brewster, but neither have NFL regular season experience. Hopefully the Cowboys have a few blow out games in which we can insert either of these 2 young players so that they begin to gain some experience which will aid in determining which OL positions must be addressed in the early 2011 draft; particularly a young OC who hopefully can also play OG.
  5. DCBoysfan

DCBoysfan Hardwork and Dedication Zone Supporter

4,299 Messages
    101 Likes Received
    I'm glad for Free, I hope he maintains his level of play.
  6. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The next step for Free is doing it more without help from TE's or backs. He's been very good so far though.
  7. jobberone

jobberone Save the Snow Leopard Staff Member

35,281 Messages
    2,709 Likes Received
    Free is reliable. I'm hoping he will turn out to be better than that and I have hopes for that.
  8. CowboyMike

CowboyMike Stay Thirsty, My Friends

5,167 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    Free was always a left tackle. He only played right when Colombo went down. The Cowboys never moved him from right to left, he just went back to his normal position.
  9. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,387 Messages
    1,434 Likes Received
    Impossible. People saw him as a RT only. Our coaches are wrong.
  10. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,097 Messages
    1,267 Likes Received
    well considering they were wrong about so many in the years prior why should anyone believe they were right about one until he proves it?
  11. Dough Boy

Dough Boy Seldom Seen

2,147 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    But we can't develop offensive lineman....................
  12. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,387 Messages
    1,434 Likes Received
    Because they never spoke about Stephen Peterman or Jacob Rogers the way they did about Free.

I figured that is common sense.
  13. HoosierCowboy

HoosierCowboy Put Pearson in the HOF

2,101 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    Pro bowl? if he plays like this for 10 years he's in the HOF, but let's let him start half a season first