1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPN: When smart coaches make dumb calls

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Juke99, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Juke99

Juke99 ...Abbey someone

22,271 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    When smart coaches make dumb calls

There's no logic to Jason Garrett's use of timeouts in the Cowboys' OT loss at Arizona

By Jean-Jacques Taylor
    ESPNDallas.com
    Archive

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- Late in the fourth quarter Sunday afternoon, Jason Garrett made the dumbest decision you'll ever see a smart coach make.

You don't have to take Football 101 at Princeton to know choosing to settle for a 49-yard field goal at the end of a game is a bad decision.

Dan Bailey missed the kick with two seconds left, and the Cardinals won when some Smurf-sized dude named LaRod Stephens-Howling zig-zagged through the Cowboys' defense for a 52-yard touchdown on the first possession of overtime.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story...oys-coach-jason-garrett-use-timeouts-was-dumb
  2. bbailey423

bbailey423 Well-Known Member

4,822 Messages
    375 Likes Received
    I have never been a fan of JJT....but I respect the fact that he pulled NO punches in this article. It was DUMB! There is not other way to look at it. You get a few yards....or at least TRY!!!!!!!!!!
  3. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    JJT made some great points, good job!
  4. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,796 Messages
    688 Likes Received
    One of the few times JJT has written something that I thought he actually did his job with.

My hats off to him for doing so.
  5. mmillman

mmillman Active Member

2,146 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    his learning curve is costing the Cowboys. He needs an offensive coordinator as he clearly is over his head in this area.
  6. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,807 Messages
    1,230 Likes Received
    I agree, but an OC would have nothing to do with game management and icing your own kicker.

The problem I have with the article is that JJT calls Red a "smart coach." The guy is smart, but he's Napoleon Dynamite when it comes to coaching.
  7. RXP

RXP Well-Known Member

2,509 Messages
    747 Likes Received
    This is actually a pretty fair article.