1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Espnblog:Observation deck: Cowboys-Dolphins

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Sep 2, 2011.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,092 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/30101/observation-deck-cowboys-dolphins
    September, 2, 2011 Sep 211:15AM ETEmail Print Comments By Dan GrazianoWith the Dallas Cowboys and New York Giants games still to go, I picked the Cowboys to watch first because I wanted to see rookie running back DeMarco Murray. So it was nice of the kid to catch a 48-yard screen pass up the left side on the team's first play from scrimmage. We've seen the Cowboys use the screen game a lot this preseason, with Tony Romo throwing to starting running back Felix Jones, and it appears as though the Cowboys would like to use the weapons they have on offense to spread out the defense when possible and trade on their speed.

Murray looks like a guy who can help with that. He looked excellent when they got him on the outside, in space, around the edge, able to pick up big chunks of yardage in those spots. That speaks to his athletic ability, which surely showed up on pre-draft tape, and wasn't really a surprise. What the Cowboys and their fans wanted to see from Murray on Thursday night was how Murray looked running between the tackles. With a little more than a minute to go in the first quarter, after picking up nine yards on first down on a run to the outside, Murray drove hard through the middle to pick up the first down on second-and-one.
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,289 Messages
    1,757 Likes Received
    I was very pleased with Murray. I look forward to seeing him help this team
  3. Nirvana

Nirvana Well-Known Member

3,366 Messages
    643 Likes Received
    The safety Reshad Jones who caught him from behind ran a 4.54 40. Surprised he didn't take it to the house with his 4.37 speed. :confused:
  4. CoCo

CoCo Well-Known Member

5,526 Messages
    89 Likes Received
    Its rarely a fair footrace in a game. Angles, starts, hesitations etc. In addition, Murray sat out how many weeks with a hammy? Probaly not running his best times right now nor do we want him doing something that will cost him.
  5. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,665 Messages
    666 Likes Received
    If they were running in t-shirts and shorts, in the exact same angle, and not carrying a ball, he might have. Besides, it's always easier being the pursuer.
  6. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,182 Messages
    757 Likes Received
    Brad Sham guaranteed that when Murray gets back in football shape that won't happen again.
  7. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Remember he's not in true football shape and also the safety looked to have an angle.
  8. Nirvana

3,366 Messages
    643 Likes Received
    I think he was not in true football shape yet. I think he would have out-run him otherwise, the safety was faster.
  9. cowboys2233

cowboys2233 Well-Known Member

3,780 Messages
    318 Likes Received
    I recall Felix having a couple of plays like that early in his career, it looked like guys ran him down but as others have said, the angles aren't so apparent when you're watching on television. But the BIG reason is this, Murray was carrying a ball. Can you run your fastest when you've got one arm tucked against your side?

I saw what I had hoped to see, the dude has wheels, do not doubt it for a second.
  10. Nirvana

3,366 Messages
    643 Likes Received
    [youtube]E4GqS8pGOdE[/youtube]
  11. diehard2294

diehard2294 America's Team

4,388 Messages
    318 Likes Received
    He's right...kid probably has heavy legs right now from trying to get in football shape.