1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPND: Anthony Spencer needs to prove worth

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Dec 1, 2011.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,524 Messages
    3,366 Likes Received
    Linebacker, whose contract expires after this season, has shown flashes of brilliance

By Tim MacMahon
    ESPNDallas.com
    Archive

IRVING, Texas -- It's not fair to compare Anthony Spencer to DeMarcus Ware.

It inevitably happens, though. After all, they're a pair of first-round picks who play outside linebacker for the Dallas Cowboys. One is a five-time Pro Bowler chasing his second 20-sack season; the other is a five-year veteran with 19.5 sacks in his career.

There is a better comparison for Spencer on the Cowboys' roster. It's a guy who occasionally lines up inside of him. Maybe Anthony Spencer is just an outside linebacker version of Marcus Spears.

Read the rest: http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story...ebacker-anthony-spencer-prove-better-adequate
  2. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

14,327 Messages
    266 Likes Received
    Sometimes a player just doesn't see the transitioning points where he can truely be outstanding. Anthony Spencer is very close to that level, and needs a deep desire to pull the trigger on a routine basis. I think the article was more directed to considerations of a contract. Things in Dallas, are often on a restraine manner on contract, unless there is a strong show of evidence.

Myself, I foresee Spencer being a top level priority to resign in the approaching off season.
  3. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,138 Messages
    1,278 Likes Received
    Sad thing is that he did it for a short time once; so he CAN do it. Just will not on a regular basis; which frankly to me means he has to go. If RR and Red Ball cannot motivate him to do it consistently then that is that.
  4. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

14,327 Messages
    266 Likes Received
    Sometimes, the training effect has to take affect. When he sees himself as responsible for being a leader on this team, then he will likely respond in a more consistently dynamic way.

As Charles Haley had an effect upon the Dynasty Team, DeMarcus Ware should eventually have a similar effect upon this team. I'm thinking that even Anthony Spencer will pick up a winner's attitude as well. That will show.
  5. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I certainly hope they don't pay him anything long-term... They guy isn't worth it.
  6. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

14,327 Messages
    266 Likes Received
    So, here, you are saying that replacing him is more important on resources than further upgrade in the interior of the offensive line, and possibly a defensive end/nose tackle?
  7. mmillman

mmillman Active Member

2,141 Messages
    22 Likes Received
    I think Spencer takes himself out of the play too often. He has that spin and jump move and gives up the edge doing it.
  8. Marktui

Marktui Active Member

1,196 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I might be in the minority but Spencer needs to be resigned. The guy is a quality LB. Is he Demarcus, no. But he is a very good LB. Now he might feel like he can be a number one and will want to get paid like a number one LB. It all depends on the market price. I for one don't think Butler is as good as Spencer. Butler is an excellent rush LB, but he is not stout against the run. Spencer is much more of an all everything backer. Similar to Banks who played opposite of Taylor from the Giants.

If we hit on Bruce Carter next year and we keep Spencer, this could be a really good linebacker unit.
  9. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

14,327 Messages
    266 Likes Received
    There is no majority involved with one's opinion. That sticks as good as anyone's.

By the way, Spencer had a great game against Miami. And he will play no less importance against Beanie Wells and containing him this Sunday.
  10. DCBoysfan

DCBoysfan Hardwork and Dedication Zone Supporter

4,308 Messages
    105 Likes Received
    I agree with you, I put him in the same catagory as Spears, a good player. If is he gone that will be another position that will need to be replaced.
  11. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I would lean towards resigning him if it isn't too insane of a contract demand. He's a good overall OLB, and in the context of where this team is at, it may be too risky to try to bring in a rookie or younger player. Having said that, I'm not sure who is out there via free agency either.
  12. jimnabby

jimnabby Well-Known Member

3,556 Messages
    406 Likes Received
    They need to evaluate him based on what he is, not what they thought he might become or what he was for a few games three years ago. If that player (the guy he is) is better than the alternatives out there and the price is right, then they should keep him - otherwise, not.
  13. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,138 Messages
    1,278 Likes Received

Mostly agree; but if he cannot dial it up in a contract year then what is the point of keeping him at all?
  14. JIGGYFLY

JIGGYFLY Active Member

1,360 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Because he is still a above average all around LB.

You act like it will be easy to replace him with anybody drafted or signed, a team looking to make a run does not just create holes if they don't have to.

But I take it you think he is a bum right?
  15. jobberone

jobberone Save the Snow Leopard Staff Member

35,364 Messages
    2,741 Likes Received
    He will be resigned. Better than solid less than special.