News: ESPND: Bruce Carter: 'I think I did OK'

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Nov 6, 2011.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Need A Win...By any means necessary Staff Member

71,340 Messages
    13,542 Likes Received
    Nov 6
    6:29
    PM CT
    By Todd Archer

ARLINGTON, Texas -- With Sean Lee out because of a dislocated left wrist, rookie linebacker Bruce Carter saw the first defensive snaps of his career in Rob Ryan’s sub packages.

Carter was not credited with any tackles but did have a pass breakup. Safety Barry Church handled some of the inside linebacker duties in passing situations as well.

“I wasn’t really nervous, but getting in on defense, it’s a lot faster,” Carter said. “I think as I keep playing, it’ll slow down for me.”

Read the rest: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4686275/bruce-carter-i-did-ok
  2. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

28,208 Messages
    5,352 Likes Received
    Carter is a player.
  3. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I like what I saw on the pass breakup however he missed some tackles against Lynch and Co.
  4. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,998 Messages
    641 Likes Received
    It was a normal debut. He exceeded my expectations in pass coverage. I expected him to struggle in run defense and tackling
  5. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

60,735 Messages
    12,877 Likes Received
    Next year our starting ILB'S will be Lee and Carter.

Anyone else getting excited?
  6. Shneek814

Shneek814 Member

151 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    Bruce Lee!!
  7. Texas_Pete

Texas_Pete Well-Known Member

1,546 Messages
    594 Likes Received
    :laugh2:
  8. dreghorn2

dreghorn2 Well-Known Member

1,193 Messages
    292 Likes Received
    I hope not, thats a lot of 'small' in a position that we need at least one 'big'.
  9. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

9,738 Messages
    970 Likes Received
    go look at the 49ers and steelers ILBer's. They are about the same size as ours. What we need is a big NT (i like ratliff but we need a big unmovable guy in the middle, ratliff is good at shooting gaps but i would rather have a big tough SOB in the middle that is controlling 2 gaps and will need to be double teamed). A big NT will help keep lineman off of our linebackers. Ask ray lewis how much a big NT makes his job easier. Ratliff can slide out to end and then we have 2 problems solved hopefully.

We need to find a OLB next year. Spencer is going to want more money than he is worth. He is too inconstant. Someone opposite of ware should be getting sacks regularly with ware being double or triple teamed.

The redskins found there somebody in Ryan Kerrigan. He is playing like his hair is on fire. We need someone like him with a non stop motor. Kerrigan is on spencers level right now and will get better. :(
  10. silver

silver Well-Known Member

5,983 Messages
    780 Likes Received
    very tentative play is what I saw.
  11. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

84,856 Messages
    7,681 Likes Received
    Not bad for a 1st game but he has a lot of work ahead of him if he is to take on a bigger role.
  12. STSINAZ

STSINAZ Active Member

2,845 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    rush hour, i love it!
  13. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Ware, Carter, Lee and ??? (I don't think Spencer will be on the team in 2012 unless they get him to sign a cheaper contract)
  14. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

14,593 Messages
    1,929 Likes Received
    Yeah he needs to go...we need to get a stand up Defensive End....
  15. FLcowboy

FLcowboy Hopeful this is the year Zone Supporter

3,817 Messages
    73 Likes Received

Yeah, because I think their coach is going to be Ryan. It's pretty clear to me Ryan isn't going to get a hea coaching job next year. He is sort of bombing in Dallas. I think his earlier success was Sean Lee's contribution, rather than anything he did.
  16. jimnabby

jimnabby Well-Known Member

5,031 Messages
    1,729 Likes Received
    Let me get this straight. You think Ryan is bombing in Dallas, but you're excited that he'll be here next year to coach our defense.

Personally, I think we'll be okay even if Ryan does get a new job. In that case, Jerry should go after the guy who's taken last year's NFL-worst defense and made it the NFL's best in just half a season. Of course, he's a DC now, so we'd have to offer him a promotion, which means replacing Garrett with him. I'm speaking, of course, of Wade Phillips.
  17. dreghorn2

1,193 Messages
    292 Likes Received
    Exactly my point, no way we can play a middle of Ratliff-Lee-Carter and since everyone keeps saying Ratliff has to play NT (i'll use the famous CZ line), because i read it here, than we need a bigger ILB.
  18. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,732 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    So keep the bigger LB we have now?
  19. dreghorn2

1,193 Messages
    292 Likes Received

Not to stretch this thread out forever, but which one is that?
  20. Cowboysfan570

Cowboysfan570 Well-Known Member

1,087 Messages
    63 Likes Received
    None of the above. Sean Lee, Bruce Carter, Bradie James, and Keith Brooking all weigh in within (at most) 12 lbs of each other according to NFL.com.

Granted that is NOT exactly the most reliable source for accurate weight measurements, but unless you can find something better that is what I have to go off of and it would suggest to me that there is no huge need for a "bigger" ILB.

Sean Lee plays with speed and Bruce Carter looks to in the early going as well. If they can both tackle soundly then we shouldn't have much to worry about. Has Lee looked like much of a liability against the run to you?