1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPND: Bruce Carter much better than Rob Ryan thought

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Nov 17, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,475 Messages
    3,313 Likes Received
    Nov 16
    3:54
    PM CT
    By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas – Rob Ryan has never been shy to predict great things for one of his players, but even the Cowboys defensive coordinator didn’t see this coming from Bruce Carter.

The second-year inside linebacker has played pretty well all season, but he’s emerged as a star since Sean Lee’s season-ending injury.

“I never thought he’d have the ascension that Sean Lee did, but he has,” Ryan said. “I mean, he has. That’s the bottom line. This guy has become a hell of a football player right in front of our eyes this season.

“I wouldn’t have predicted that. Absolutely not. But he is a tremendous football player. He’s playing as fast as his great athleticism allows him to play. He’s smart. He works hard. He’s with (linebackers coach Matt) Eberflus all the time.

Read the rest: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowb...ruce-carter-much-better-than-rob-ryan-thought
  2. followthestar

followthestar Active Member

2,083 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    He was been really awesome, and gentlemen we have the best LB crew in quite a while at the disposal of Rob Ryan. This could be fun! Carter's would be a great jersey to get... Hmmmm....
  3. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,240 Messages
    2,807 Likes Received
    We've all heard nothing but great things about Carter since he was drafted. None of his success surprises me. Not soon but next year we have the best ILB's in the league.
  4. TTexasTT

TTexasTT Well-Known Member

1,926 Messages
    737 Likes Received
    I hope he can stay healthy. He is a absolute beast and probably the fastest LB in the NFL.
  5. BTX

BTX New Member

435 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If we resign Spencer (i hope we do) I say we have the best lb corp in the entire league by far.
  6. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,121 Messages
    746 Likes Received
    Haven't been this excited about a player in a while. I love Lee. Outside of Romo, he's ours 2b best player. But this kid, he could be really special.
  7. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    I do think a lot of the credit has to go the LB coach, Eberfluss. The notion that Carter was fast and could chase plays down in space was well known. I think his instincts and physicality in the run game were in doubt until this season but he seems to have put those notions to rest.

I don't think the stellar play of Lee and Carter is some fluke - scouts and coaches both did their jobs on those two guys.
  8. Vanilla2

Vanilla2 Well-Known Member

1,207 Messages
    423 Likes Received
    IMO Carter will end up being the player we expect Lee to be.

I hope Lee gets through the injuries and can put together a few good seasons, but right now it's been disappointing.

I love Lee's contribution so far I just think the team needs to add ILB depth just in case.
  9. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    I don't think Lee is worth the risk unless the contract is full of incentives for games played. He just keeps tearing something. He has reached the age where you expect full physical maturity but he has still torn ligaments in each of the past two years.
  10. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

3,945 Messages
    425 Likes Received
    I think Bruce Carter is just scratching the surface honestly. In the case of Lee I would be really cautious if I were the Cowboys to hand him a large contract extension....