1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPND: Calvin Watkins' practice report - 08/15/12

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Aug 16, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,475 Messages
    3,313 Likes Received
    Aug 16
    8:30
    AM CT
    By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

OXNARD, Calif. -- Some thoughts from Wednesday's practice.

* It surprised us a little that the Cowboys were in full pads Wednesday. Now they didn't hit full speed for the entire session, but coming off a game, I would think the Cowboys would take some time off from pads. There are some players returning from injury -- such as Matt Johnson, Jay Ratliff and Jason Hatcher -- that need to get work in pads, but with so many injuries on the roster, it did surprise some that it was a padded practice.

* You think quarterbacks should yell and scream to get their point across. Not really. On consecutive plays, Danny McCray and Barry Church picked up sacks against quarterback Tony Romo. Church went untouched through the middle of the line of scrimmage to get a sack. It prompted Romo to slam the ball to the ground. On the next play, Romo completed a pass to Dez Bryant.

* This isn't a big thing, but Felix Jones hasn't really impressed us this training camp. DeMarco Murray has shown a burst, an ability to take contact and re-establish himself as the No. 1 running back. Jones? He's been blah. He caught a swing pass but didn't do much with it. Jones seems a little slow this camp not because of injury, but maybe the past leg injuries he's had in his brief career have taken their toll.

Read more: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4695708/calvin-watkins-practice-report-11
  2. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,155 Messages
    1,786 Likes Received
    * You think quarterbacks should yell and scream to get their point across. Not really. On consecutive plays, Danny McCray and Barry Church picked up sacks against quarterback Tony Romo. Church went untouched through the middle of the line of scrimmage to get a sack. It prompted Romo to slam the ball to the ground. On the next play, Romo completed a pass to Dez Bryant.

:laugh2: :laugh2:

i am glad that great OL of ours is allowing the defense to make some plays so they are not completely devastated
  3. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

4,221 Messages
    278 Likes Received
    Jones started off on the wrong foot by failing his conditioning test at the start of camp. Since then, he's been thoroughly outplayed by clear starter DeMarco Murray. ESPN Dallas suggests that previous leg injuries have taken their toll on Jones' burst.

Source: ESPN Dallas

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4695708/calvin-watkins-practice-report-11

OXNARD, Calif. -- Some thoughts from Wednesday's practice.

* It surprised us a little that the Cowboys were in full pads Wednesday. Now they didn't hit full speed for the entire session, but coming off a game, I would think the Cowboys would take some time off from pads. There are some players returning from injury -- such as Matt Johnson, Jay Ratliff and Jason Hatcher -- that need to get work in pads, but with so many injuries on the roster, it did surprise some that it was a padded practice.

* This isn't a big thing, but Felix Jones hasn't really impressed us this training camp. DeMarco Murray has shown a burst, an ability to take contact and re-establish himself as the No. 1 running back. Jones? He's been blah. He caught a swing pass but didn't do much with it. Jones seems a little slow this camp not because of injury, but maybe the past leg injuries he's had in his brief career have taken their toll.
  4. Cowboys22

Cowboys22 Well-Known Member

3,486 Messages
    259 Likes Received
    Its not the leg injuries, its his heart. In the game he played like he didn't even want to be there. I hope he is cut and a veteran backup brought in. If he continues like that first game, he will be a drag on the lockeroom.
  5. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    Broaddus may be right. Felix could be on his way out. Several posters doubted Broaddus, but he has access to information that fans don't know about.
  6. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,109 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    and sometimes he is just as wrong as anyone else.

But he might be right here. Nothing from anyone indicates that Felix has looked good.
  7. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

27,938 Messages
    3,877 Likes Received
    I've thought Jones looked a bit uninterested in camp, too. There might be something to the rumors that his job's not entirely secure.

Note, the source of these reports is Calvin Watkins, so they're not exactly credible, but it is definitely worth keeping an eye on.
  8. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

8,608 Messages
    3,497 Likes Received
    leg injuries? please don't let him get away with that excuse. demarco broke a bone and rehabbed like a monster to comeback looking even stronger and faster. it's all about determination. one guy has it, the other one doesn't.
  9. bbailey423

bbailey423 Well-Known Member

4,792 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    don't put this on Jerry. This is all Garrett. Wade wanted Chris Johnson.....Garett wanted Felix. Same for Martellus Bennett. Garrett did not like Fasano....so he had him cut in favor of Bennett. I am brining this up because too often we blame everything that goes wrong on Jerry....and everything that goes right is in spite of Jerry. What tends to happen is when fans/media get their mind made up....and right now everyone seems to think Garrett has the midas touch......but too many have made up their mind that Garrett is our only hope. I am glad he is the head coach...but I am not going to be fooled into thinking he is flawless. Too many high school coaching errors last year are enough evidence to know that he does not have any magic dust too sprinkle over this outfit that will immediatley cure all that has gone wrong for some time now.
  10. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,123 Messages
    1,007 Likes Received
    Some food for thought, it was asked on Sirius NFL Radio the other day - "What's going on with Felix Jones?"

Commenting on him failing his conditioning test and then looking disinterested and having terrible body language - this coming from the Movin' the Chains guys who are typically very complimentary to any coaches and players they talk about.

It said a lot to me that they would say this kind of stuff about Felix.

Add that to the complete lack of reports coming out of camp and it definitely makes you wonder what's going on with him.
  11. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

4,221 Messages
    278 Likes Received
    In the beginning when the talks started up about him being cut I didn't think it was possible now I'm not so sure.
  12. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,711 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    Jones should be an adequate backup. When was the last time DeMarco made it through a season without an injury resulting in lost playing time?
  13. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

8,608 Messages
    3,497 Likes Received
    i remember going thru some pictures of a community event a few days before TC started and thinking felix looked a little chubby. i thought it was just a bad pic but maybe there is something to it.
    [IMG]
  14. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,485 Messages
    1,988 Likes Received
    :clap2:

I doubt anything is wrong with Felix, but good post.
  15. bbailey423

bbailey423 Well-Known Member

4,792 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    Whats going on with him is what goes on with any first rounder who is in the last year of their contract and the team has not approached them about an extension. They know the team is not all that interested in retaining them. And with Spencer working on a one year deal....Jenkins working on a one year deal.....Felix working on a one year deal....and the reports that Dez is unlikely to see a 2nd deal from Dallas...that is 4 of our last 5 first round picks who appear unlikely to receive a 2nd deal from Dallas. We can look at this 2 ways.....Dallas means business, and you will not be extended so the front office can save face....or you can look at it like our front office is having a tough time with scouting first round picks.
  16. Cowboyz88

Cowboyz88 Well-Known Member

3,143 Messages
    198 Likes Received
    They should cut him on principle.

You don't want to be here? Fine, there's the door.

If true, it's attitude from a whole lot of players over the years (Bigg, TNew, RWilliams11, RWilliams31, Barber, Spears, etc.) who somehow think they've "arrived" or done something to contribute to the legacy of the Cowboys is laughable.

This is Dallas. We don't care about personal "success" or accolades over the team, and it's the attitude that's been too prevalent for around here years for years.

It's also the attitude that I think Garrett wants to root out of here.
  17. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    No coach has magic dust if they did how in the hell did the Genius let his team have 12 men on the field and lose a fumble near the goaline because of that mistake. Really 12 men on the field by the patriots in a SB that is something you see in the Preaseason or done by mistake prone teams like Dallas.
  18. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

26,508 Messages
    1,821 Likes Received
    I wouldn't put either of the Williamses, Leonard Davis, or Marcus Spears in that category.

But go ahead and just list the popular whipping boys. You forgot Bradie James.
  19. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

8,608 Messages
    3,497 Likes Received
    the dc.com beat writers are very low on bradie's intangibles.
  20. Vinnie2u

Vinnie2u Well-Known Member

1,969 Messages
    276 Likes Received
    So Felix is the new target in the zone.. Marty B's replacement has been found..