1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPND: Cowboys must move on from Romo

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Oct 29, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,594 Messages
    3,461 Likes Received
    Turnovers show why Dallas needs to start planning for a new quarterback

Updated: October 29, 2012, 12:47 AM ET
    By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

ARLINGTON, Texas -- It's time to move on.

The Dallas Cowboys need to plan their exit strategy from quarterback Tony Romo today or they're going to be stuck in the same situation they were in when Troy Aikman retired after the 2000 season.

After Aikman retired, the Cowboys turned to guys like Quincy Carter, Ryan Leaf, Chad Hutchinson, Vinny Testaverde and Drew Bledsoe to lead them.
    Bledsoe and Testaverde were past their primes. The rest weren't good enough.

The Cowboys had a flawed plan.

That can't happen again.

Romo is a good quarterback, but Sunday's game against the New York Giants was an example of why you can't rely on him long-term. Romo rallied his team from a 23-point deficit to take a lead that would have been the biggest comeback victory in franchise history. Instead, the Giants won 29-24.

Read the rest: http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/8565540/dallas-cowboys-need-plan-exit-strategy-tony-romo
  2. tomson75

tomson75 Brain Dead Shill

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't think having a contingency plan or drafting a QB means we're moving on from Romo.

While he was undeniably bad at points yesterday, as much of it should be attributed to his inability to be in sync with his receivers....something that could just as easily be their fault. Why can't they get on the same page? I'm not sure, but I do know it's a hell of a lot easier to find good receivers than it is to find a good QB.

..but my all means, start looking for a QB in the draft. I don't think many would argue that its time.
  3. JakeCamp12

JakeCamp12 Well-Known Member

2,095 Messages
    72 Likes Received
    Never thought I would agree with Watkins, but after watching this season, I do...it is time to draft someone this franchise believes will take Romos job at some point. That time is the 2013 draft.
  4. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,678 Messages
    693 Likes Received
    Yup, that's what ruins this article. The idea that drafting a QB means we're moving on from Romo.

To me, there are no sacred cows on this team. No one is above being replaced.
  5. Western

Western Active Member

112 Messages
    60 Likes Received
    I rarely agree with Watkins.
    But, his point is valid and the Cowboys need to/must transition themselves from the Romo era.
  6. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    Should have traded up for Luck and this would have been a non-issue for ten years.
  7. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,111 Messages
    4,030 Likes Received
    Watkins is trying to conflate the two issues. We need to start developing a future QB, sure. This draft or next, depending what we want to do at SOLB and with the pass rush. I think this coming draft would be a luxury.

But, what Watkins is really trying to do here is take a back door into the get-rid-of-Romo debate he knows is going to be getting loud in the local 'media' in Dallas this week. And, of course, one look at the boards tells you our steady fans are happy to take that bait.
  8. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

19,066 Messages
    487 Likes Received
    You're kidding, right? :confused:
  9. StylisticS

StylisticS Well-Known Member

8,032 Messages
    133 Likes Received
    They act like that it is so easy to do.
  10. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    Yeah, but it would have been nice to have him.
  11. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    It would have been easy, but expensive. It would have cost a ton of picks and stopped the Romo debate.
  12. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

3,960 Messages
    428 Likes Received
    I'm not too sure about this upcoming crop of QB's honestly...
  13. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    And completely wreck the franchise in the process. You might as well say we should trade w/ Green-Bay or Atlanta for their QB's.

Sure it would be expensive.....but..........
  14. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Barkley I think is the safest pick of the group similar to Matt Ryan. Geno is the most talented but has more question marks. Then you go from there I would say Landry Jones and Bray are now marginal prospects and will drop to the middle rounds.

I am not sure about the next group of guys

Wilson Ark
    Manuel Fl ST
    Thomas Va Tech
    Murray GA
    Dysert Miami OH

I have not seen a lot of these guys I do not watch as much College football as I use to. I also do not follow some of the teams listed so I am not sure.
  15. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,855 Messages
    920 Likes Received
    Here,s the thing. Between Jerry, Red, and Romo who do you think is most likely to pay the price for a disapointing season? I'll give you three guesses and he doesnt have red hair or a son in law cleaning his glasses.
  16. coogrfan

coogrfan Well-Known Member

1,412 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    Seriously?

What reason is there to believe that there was even a remote possibility that the Colts would have been willing to trade the #1 pick?
  17. craig71

craig71 Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam

2,575 Messages
    1 Likes Received

I would imagine that list will become a little shorter by the time the combines and individual workouts take place. Hopefully a clearer picture will be revealed and a plan of attack by this franchise will be implemented.

Craig
  18. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    Hey, I said I was kidding, but this team would be just as close to a Super Bowl if they had made the deal as they are now.
  19. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    It had much to do when they came out and said that they would consider offers.
  20. coogrfan

coogrfan Well-Known Member

1,412 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    Indy said they would listen, but everybody knew that was a smokescreen. Once the Colts made the decision to release Peyton there was zero chance they would pass on Luck.