1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPND: Cowboys Talk - MacMahon says Witten isn't as good as Rob Gronkowski

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Nov 25, 2011.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,092 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    ESPN Dallas Live: Cowboys Talk
    http://espn.go.com/espnradio/dallas/play?id=7271640
    Tim MacMahon says Cowboys TE Jason Witten is a Hall of Famer, but not as good as New England's Rob Gronkowski.

Note:I totally disagree with this, lets see how long gronkowski plays and if he keeps his nose clean, remember rob got into some trouble with the patriot family awhile back, eventually that kind of behavior gets you into trouble and your career breaks down early.
  2. tomson75

tomson75 Brain Dead Shill

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Timmay strikes again.

It's nice that ESPN Dallas would hire someone with Tourettes.
  3. cowboyjoe

28,092 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    yeah, i wasnt even going to post it, but when he said that about rob being better than witten, i took offense and posted to see what you all had to say
  4. cowboyjoe

28,092 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    can someone fix the title for me, probably should say espn:MacMahon says Witten isnt as good as Rob Gronkowski

thanks in advance
  5. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    I was telling people while he was still at AZ that Gronkowski will be one of the best. He is physical and has the same knack Witten does of getting open.
  6. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

6,118 Messages
    313 Likes Received
    If he's talking just about this year as a receiver, then yeah he's right. If he's talking long term, then it's way too early to think about that.
  7. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :laugh2:

What a clown. Rob has played great this year, but Jason Witten has consistently been the best tight end in the game for several years.
  8. tomson75

tomson75 Brain Dead Shill

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm sure the fact that the Patriots have little to no ground game escaped Timmay....

I'd love to see the number of times each player has been targeted.....I'd wager that Gronkowski's targets are WAY higher.

Don't get me wrong....the guy is balling, but he's not better than Witten.
  9. vlad

vlad Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

1,043 Messages
    60 Likes Received
    Not saying the following because of this post, but has Tim McMahon ever written a quality article? You know, along the lines of a Bob Sturm or that kid that used to write for the DMN that went to the NFL network (I think Albert Ross or something?)...I swear, the opportunity these guys have, and the quality they put out compared to people like Vela or folks on this site is mind boggling.

He may have, I just haven't seen anything. I remember he used to try to be a funny guy or something...good grief.
  10. cowboyjoe

28,092 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    and i own up to it when im wrong, so right now rob has proved me wrong, i thought he would have issues with his back, most players that have that kind of surgery dont do to well or come back real well, so i was wrong about rob

:cool:
  11. The Panch

The Panch New Member

4,184 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Gronkowski is a much better redzone threat, but that's it.
  12. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,297 Messages
    6,256 Likes Received
    Gronkowski probably is playing better than any other TE in the league this year.
  13. JBell523

JBell523 That's my Quarterback

3,174 Messages
    242 Likes Received
    Yep.

This is a Cowboys board though, so I'm not surprised by some of the comments.
  14. cbow44

cbow44 Member

596 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    How is Gronkowski's blocking compared to Wittens. all I see is his receiving skills.
  15. DTK

DTK Member

681 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't know about that, the kid from New Orleans is having the best statistical year of all tight ends to this point. Having said that, he appears to be a pure receiving tight end. Just glad I drafted him for my fantasy team this year. :)
  16. Dhragon

Dhragon Deadly Claws of Death

1,289 Messages
    151 Likes Received
    Albert Breer is who you were thinking of. And yeah, he was here not nearly long enough. Best Cowboys writer by a mile.
  17. mmohican29

mmohican29 Well-Known Member

2,270 Messages
    197 Likes Received
    McMahon is a fool. Gronkowski is a fabulous player, but to say Jason isn't "as good" as him discounts ENTIRELY his unbelievable career in terms of prodcution, reliability, leadership, and mettle.

It also is blind to the type of offenseive scheme the Patriots use game to game vs. Jasons' versatility and in-line TE prowess.

Jason isn't "perfect". And RGronk might be quicker and more talented than Jason but let's see how his numbers look 7 years into his career.

Bottom line- JWitt is a first ballot HOF player by any measurement if he walks off the field tomorrow. Is Gronkowski a HOF player yet?

Idiot.
  18. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,558 Messages
    1,065 Likes Received
    Every year, the media proclaims a new tightend to be the best in the game. Players like Jeremy Shockey, Chris Cooley, Vernon Davis, etc. have been labeled "best in the game" at different times. In fact it was just in the last year or two that I remember hearing one sports commentator say Jason Witten was just the third best tight-end in the NFC East behind Cooley and Celek.

In the end, all that matters is results. The media focuses on the rabbits while the hall of fame focuses on the hares. Witten may be the hare but he rabbits every so often too :D

#reality
  19. Randy White

Randy White Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

6,092 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    between being a better " athlete " and being a better " player ".. Gronkowski looks to be the second coming of Tony Gonzalez, but then again, there have been TE's who looked to be the same, only to crash and burn in a few years OR never live up to expectations.

ain't that right Kellen Winslow Jr ? what do you say Vernon Davis ?

We'll see if Gronkowski is playing at the same level in a few years. I know Jason has.
  20. Randy White

Randy White Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

6,092 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    despite the excellent amount of talent at the skill position tha the Cowboys have, you want to know why the Cowboys' offense has struggled so much in the first half of the past 2 games ( possibly even 3 ) ?

Check out Jason Witten's stats in those games at that point.

You want to know why they've played better in the 2nd half and won both ?

Check out Jason Witten's stats in those games at that point.

Just sayin'.. :cool: