1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPND: Ex-Cowboys OL Marc Colombo keeps himself busy with new stages in retirement

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Oct 8, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,239 Messages
    7,067 Likes Received
    By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- Marc Colombo stood on the sideline early Monday evening at Cowboys Stadium and felt that familiar adrenaline that ran through his body for 10 years.

So badly the former offensive tackle wanted to grab a helmet and put on some shoulder pads and do what he did for three seasons with the Chicago Bears, six seasons with the Dallas Cowboys and one with the Miami Dolphins. Instead, the closest he could get was to talk to his former teammates and coaches as he wore a T-shirt and a pair of jeans.

"I was like a social butterfly, and I'm not like that," Colombo said. "You could tell I was in a happy place."

Monday's game between the Cowboys and Bears was the first he attended since announcing his retirement in the offseason. At 33 and only a few months into this transition, Colombo is content knowing his playing days have ended, but Monday's visit helped him realize that he would want to be a coach one day.

When players retire the statistics are overwhelmingly against them, or so it seems. Stories of financial distress, chemical dependency and poor health seem to dominate the headlines. Colombo watched ESPN's 30 for 30 documentary "Broke" the other night and saw all of the cautionary tales.

Read the rest: http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story...ot-marc-colombo-tackles-new-stages-retirement
  2. TheCowboy

TheCowboy The Teen

2,568 Messages
    590 Likes Received
    I would 1,000% be in favor of Columbo as an Offensive Line coach. Assistant to Callahan, whatever. The man had a chip on his shoulder every time he stepped out on the field and we need that with our current O-Line.
  3. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

39,181 Messages
    4,614 Likes Received
    Nice feel good story. I hope it goes well for him.
  4. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,867 Messages
    1,708 Likes Received
    Definitely want him as a O line coach. Guys with attitude are needed there
  5. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,390 Messages
    1,420 Likes Received
    Good story to hear. After watching 'Broke', it made me very skeptical of the success of NFL players after retirement. I think he's doing a really great thing by dropping the weight. Not only from a physical standpoint, but from a mental standpoint of 'competing' so he doesn't lose that aspect in his life now that he's retired from football.

YR
  6. CopenhagenCowboy

CopenhagenCowboy Active Member

946 Messages
    97 Likes Received
    Always liked him. Hope he's doing well.
  7. Hook'em#11

Hook'em#11 Well-Known Member

2,771 Messages
    278 Likes Received
    Colombo always brought the nasty. And that is what is missing on this O-line..
    Be glad for him to come aboard.

Course, if he did. He would be ripped apart in here in a couple of years. :lmao2: