1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPND: Garrett on Bryant: 'He's only scratched the surface'

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jul 20, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Everything is everything... Staff Member

68,832 Messages
    9,157 Likes Received
    Jul 20
    4:54
    PM CT
    By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

OXNARD, Calif. -- His bosses beam with pride about Dez Bryant’s maturation over the past year, firmly believing that the best is yet to come for the Cowboys’ immensely talented fourth-year receiver.

“He’s only scratched the surface,” coach Jason Garrett said after gushing about Bryant’s growth on and off the field.

Now, as the Cowboys prepare to begin camp, Jones sounds like a proud papa when he discusses Bryant, who followed up his breakout year with a controversy-free offseason.

“I think that you have to recognize how much he’s focusing in on and working to do the right things, not only on the field but off the field,” Jones said. “I can tell you that he is, he has. Those are tangible things. They’re not just commitment or some kind of conversation. He’s really doing it and he is exciting.

“It’s exciting to see progress with someone who can help a lot of people, plus as a ballplayer, it’s exciting to see him make that progress there. I’m hesitant to use the word ‘uncomfortable’ or ‘comfortable.’ I’m just impressed at this stage with how he’s handled himself.

Read the rest: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowb...rett-on-bryant-hes-only-scratched-the-surface
  2. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

54,311 Messages
    7,155 Likes Received
    That is true for many in here as well.
  3. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,430 Messages
    576 Likes Received
    I'm proud of the progress Bryant has made... He will be outstanding this year.
  4. BigDinAZ

BigDinAZ Active Member

1,401 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I think he is the only WR that can give CJ a run for his money (Stats-wise).
  5. dez_for_prez

dez_for_prez Active Member

1,047 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    What a difference a year makes. Last year he was a dumb, mom abuser who would never live up to his potential and should be cut. Fast forward a year and he might be the fans favorite player.
  6. Future

Future Intramural Legend

17,007 Messages
    2,115 Likes Received
    I think talent-wise would be a better way to compare the two. CJ is going to get huge stats every year because he is the only vertical weapon on that team. In Dallas, balls are spread out to Miles and Witten as well.
  7. thechosen1n2

thechosen1n2 Well-Known Member

1,645 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    Hes been my favorite player from the moment i saw him crying his first season after they lost a game.
  8. dstovall5

dstovall5 Well-Known Member

3,003 Messages
    1,979 Likes Received
    Dez is a beast no doubt, but for the next 3-4 years will be Calvin atop of the WR throne. Dez just needs to keep his head on straight and I think great things will come for him. Also people don't need to forget about AJ in Cincinnati, because that dude can ball just as much as CJ/Dez.
  9. Afigueroa22

Afigueroa22 Well-Known Member

1,015 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    I really don't think CJ is all that talented. He is really athletic for his size and he uses really it well. I think Dez is more comparable to Larry Fitz, they both are talented.
  10. Future

Future Intramural Legend

17,007 Messages
    2,115 Likes Received
    Uh, well then I dont know what talented is haha
  11. Afigueroa22

1,015 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    I didn't say he wasn't talented, I said I don't think he's all that he is hyped up to be.
  12. dstovall5

3,003 Messages
    1,979 Likes Received
    You probably haven't seen him play much then, because someone who beats double and triple coverage regularly is very talented. He makes some of Dez's catches look like they're nothing ...

http://m.youtube.com//watch?v=n8tCdCWB1LM

He makes catches like that daily, it's not just "hype" ... Here's another from the over rated or "hyped up" WR.
  13. Afigueroa22

1,015 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    He's 3 inches taller than Dez. For his size he is incredibly athletic. It's hard for guys who are 5'11 to defend someone who is 6'5.
  14. dstovall5

3,003 Messages
    1,979 Likes Received
    Calvin Johnson is a 6'5 236 lb WR who runs a 4.32, and he has tremendous body control with one of the best hands in the league. If you don't think that's natural ability aka talent then something's wrong. He's similar to Randy Moss in being a god gifted freak, CJ is one of the most talented WRs in the league if not the MOST talented one. Also you mentioned his height, funny thing is that 2nd video had nothing to with his height. It showed his tremendous body control and his ability to catch the football, but haters are gonna hate I guess.
    djmajestik likes this.
  15. Afigueroa22

1,015 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    One of the best hands? So is it his right hand or left hand that is one of the best in the league? Like mentioned before, he is the only threat on his team. His receptions and yards are obviously going to be high. Let's talk about his touchdown production. Randy has 16 more TD's in his first 5 years than CJ in the same time span.
    All in all, CJ is a tremendous receiver and I'd be happy to have him here.. That being said, I don't think he is as good as people make him out to be. That doesn't mean I think he is sucks or Dez is better than him. Most people agree that Moss was more physically gifted than Rice, but at this point Rice is the consensus GOAT. I think Dez is more gifted than Calvin in the same regards. Calvin has the stats but Dez has the ability. A game of "who wants it more," will determine who is better.
  16. dstovall5

3,003 Messages
    1,979 Likes Received
    Sure, let's talk about TD production. In Randy Moss first 5 years in the NFL, he had C.Carter WR (HoF) lining up beside him, he also had a 1,000 yard rusher in 4 of 5 seasons, and 2 pro bowl QBS during that time. Coming into the league, R.Moss also had a QB with a very strong arm who could utilize his 4.25 40 speed. Teams had to respect C.Carter, as well as their running game, therefore Moss had more opportunities with single coverage.

Now onto Calvin Johnson, coming into the league he didn't have a HoF WR lining up beside him, he also didn't have a single 1000 yard rusher, yet alone 4 1000 yard rushers. Now onto the atrocious QBs he had to deal with, Jon Kitna, Dan Orlovsky, Daunte Cullpepper, Shaun Hill, Drew Stanton, and Mathew Stafford as rookie who struggled tremendously. The first year he actually had good production from his QB which was year 5, he put up some very solid numbers - 100 receptions, 1600 yards, 16 tds. And as you mentioned, Calvin did this without any help, he was constantly getting doubled and triple covered. Also ask Larry Fitzgerald how hard it is to do it alone, Larry who? If you think it's harder having a HoF WR lining up beside you with a 1000 yard rusher, then that shows right there how much you really know about football. Which you've already proved how much you know by calling Calvin Johnson over-rated or "over-hyped", honestly that's a first I've ever heard that.

Also if you want to compare Calvin to Dez from their first couple years, I'll be more then happy to. I'm sure Calvin would've loved coming into his football team being the number 3 wide out so he didn't have to face double/triple coverage right off. And he sure as heck would've loved having Tony Romo throwing him the ball over the likes of Jon Kitna, Dan Orlovsky, Daunte Cullpepper, Shaun Hill, and Drew Stanton.

And just for the record, I'm not taking anything away from R.Moss, he is an all time great at the WR positon. I'm not the one who was trying to compare their production, I was just comparing their physical talent that they were both gifted with. Also I love Dez and think he's a beast, but I can't stand fans who cut down other great players to try and make their own players size up better.
    djmajestik likes this.
  17. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

80,877 Messages
    5,141 Likes Received
    Really not concerned with how Dez stats stack up with CJ or some other WR all I care about his him going out and making plays to help this team win games. For all the numbers CJ put up the Lions were 4-12
  18. Afigueroa22

1,015 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    According to your logic, we can detract ability from a player who plays on a good team and add ability to a player who plays on a bad team? So if a bad team was to trade their perceived "best" player to a good team, said player should benefit right? I don't think you remembered to tell that to Herschel Walker or Roy Williams.
  19. dstovall5

3,003 Messages
    1,979 Likes Received
    Who's detracting ability or adding ability? So answer this, you honestly think it's easier when you're the only threat on a team where you constantly face double and triple coverage? And with mediocre QBs to add, just recently has he actually had a QB. Tell Larry Fitzgerald it's easy to be the only threat on a team, with your logic he should have 100 receptions, 1500 yards, and 10 touchdowns every year.
  20. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

6,087 Messages
    503 Likes Received
    Calvin is an outstanding WR, but his hands are no better than Dez's.