1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPND: Individual battles are staple for Garrett to promote constant competition

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jun 20, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,088 Messages
    5,640 Likes Received
    By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- With two snaps left in the one-on-one passing drills during last week's minicamp, Jason Garrett wanted to make sure the entire roster was watching.

The Dallas Cowboys head coach called Sean Lee to go against Lance Dunbar, and the linebacker stuffed the running back on a route to force an incompletion. Next up was Dez Bryant vs. Morris Claiborne -- the club's No. 1 pick in the 2010 draft against the No. 1 pick of the 2012 draft.

Bryant easily slipped inside Claiborne on a slant and scored a touchdown.
    It was only a June minicamp practice, being run without pads, but Garrett made it feel more important.

"When you have something on the line," Garrett said, "it typically ups the ante and everybody responds the right way to it."

Read the rest: http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story...cowboys-promoting-competition-one-one-battles
  2. Crown Royal

Crown Royal Insulin Beware

10,351 Messages
    694 Likes Received
    I love this.
  3. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,465 Messages
    2,079 Likes Received
    Agreed
    Seems like they are focused this year
  4. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,119 Messages
    2,922 Likes Received
    Just hope to see all this work pay off for them. Now if they could find a drill to learn how to put opponents away we just might get that championship
  5. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,502 Messages
    476 Likes Received
    more comfortable Garrett looks the more this is looking like Jimmy Johnson style of running things. It just took while for Jason to get comfortable and players to buy in. Cowboys still need to make it happen when they have sweaty palms.
  6. blackbull

blackbull Well-Known Member

1,284 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    Competition is just a flash word in Dallas until I see underperformers benched before its a last resort.
  7. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,709 Messages
    1,393 Likes Received

I tend to agree with this...I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, but if someone like Allen truly beats out Johnson (or vice-versa), then I want the besst player on the field...I will be watching OLine (like everyone else) the most in this regard...Smith starts, Fred starts, open competition for the other 3 spots...may the best men win and get all of the 1st team snaps
  8. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,854 Messages
    983 Likes Received
    I agree as well. Allen has proven to be a quality backup, nothing more. If he beats out Johnson and Wilcox then I seriously doubt there was serious competition at safety. It seems to me Dallas has always favored experience over fallible youth and I expect it to remain that way as long a Jerry is the GM.
  9. EGG

EGG Well-Known Member

4,446 Messages
    398 Likes Received
    This is one of the developments that make me optimistic about the direction of the team. Turning the entire roster over in favor of young guys who will compete for their positions, one of the biggest reasons for Jimmy's success. IMO.
  10. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

37,560 Messages
    3,843 Likes Received
    I think you're more likely to see the better player out there. At times there is not enough difference and you're likely to see the more experienced player there. Hopefully you see the competition get snaps as well. Younger and cheaper is the way to go but you need that mix of vets. Guys like Witten don't go gently into that good night and for good reasons.
  11. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,071 Messages
    459 Likes Received
    I love the young guys competing like that, we will be much improved in 2013!!