1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPND: Jerry Jones said Cowboys lost coin flip

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Oct 16, 2011.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,965 Messages
    3,915 Likes Received
    Oct 16
    8:41
    PM CT
    By Calvin Watkins

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- The Cowboys used a conservative game plan on Sunday and it cost them.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said the game plan was to be conservative but if the game got fast, he felt his group would be competitive in a track meet.

However, the Cowboys guessed wrong in thinking they could shut down Tom Brady on the final drive of the game.

"Whenever you get the ball into the hands of a player like Brady at home, you've got problems," Jones said. "We are up here on their field and we knew what the odds were, so we flipped a coin and it came up against us. We know what they are about and we knew what our challenge was here. We got it down to a coin flip at the end and if you were in a playoff game, you'd probably drive it home."

Read the rest: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4685208/jerry-jones-said-cowboys-lost-coin-flip
  2. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Another misguided attempt by Jerry to use an analogy.
  3. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,213 Messages
    1,939 Likes Received
    Rolled the dice and not hitting a needed Yahtzee would probably be a more suitable analogy but I think we get the point.

Dallas knew the odds, took their chances and came up empty.
  4. montgod

montgod Active Member

1,846 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I think that's being too gracious. It was more so they didn't trust Romo to throw the ball at the end of the game when he really needed to in order to get a first down. 3 straight obvious runs w/over 4 min left... that isn't a coin flip, that's a open invitation to be beaten.

And even before that, the horrible red zone call to do a shuffle type pass to Choice that was almost fumbled/intercepted for a loss was a obvious give up play to just kick a field goal.

Conservative will only get you so far and versus a Brady-led team, you can't be conservative.
  5. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,268 Messages
    829 Likes Received
    They didn't trust Romo in the redzone or at the end of the game. Just a total coaching fail.
  6. ologan

ologan Well-Known Member

3,680 Messages
    177 Likes Received
    With Jones coming forth with this interesting tidbit,I wonder if he gave strict orders to Red to "go conservative" in that situation? Red,after all,was a QB himself,and all QB's want to win the game in a spectacular fashion. As kids they lie in bed at night dreaming of the "big win". It's in their genes. Jones, on the other hand, was an offensive lineman,so his dreams of winning the big game single handedly as a kid were probably of a more conservative,grind it out nature.

I'm grasping at straws here,but it makes me feel a little better.:rolleyes:
  7. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,799 Messages
    689 Likes Received
    I'm not upset about this loss as much as I would be about some others. Sure I don't want them to lose, ever, but I felt like the Cowboys played a pretty darn good game yesterday.

I'm once again left scratching my head with some of the redzone play calling but I guess maybe that's just me Monday Morning QBing.
  8. JoeCorrado

JoeCorrado Active Member

1,972 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Eh, don't sweat it, just take a look around; we get a lot of that around here. So many of our members truly believe that knowing the right or wrong of play calling AFTER the fact, makes them pseudo geniuses... at least in their own little minds.

I agree about not being as upset about the game as I otherwise would be. Had I been told ahead of time that we would hold the Patriots to under 21 points... I would have sworn that we were going to win the game. That is the only thing that bothers me, I thought our offense would be good for at least 21 against the Pat's defense.

For me, it all comes down to our lack of a running game. We have got to get some effectiveness in that area or we will always set ourselves up for losing these close ones.

Our 4 minute offense is pretty consistent at one thing... giving the ball back to the other team with 2 minutes left. That sure won't get it done in this league.
  9. HoosierCowboy

HoosierCowboy Put Pearson in the HOF

2,101 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    yep, I hated the play calling--here's an analogy (better than Jones')--you can't avoid striking out by looking at pitches and not swinging--gotta swing at strikes and NE was playing the run (like throwing fast balls down the middle and telling the batter what the pitch is)--we should have gone deep at least once in that sequence off the play action--we played it safe and struck out
  10. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    There was 3:31 when the Cowboys got the ball, not over 4 minutes, and the 3rd straight run was on 3rd and 18, and it would have been very risky to try and throw for the 1st down in that situation. Before the penalty on Smith I would have wanted us to try and get the 1st down, but after the penalty when it became 3rd and 18 all we could do was play it safe and punt.

As for the rest of the game up to that point, that's when I thought we needed to be a little more agressive. I understood not taking too many chances against NE and not risking a key mistake that would put us in a hole, but i thought we played it a little too safe.
  11. mmillman

mmillman Active Member

2,146 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    what the heck?

Jerruh, for gawds sake just accept the fact that you stink as a general manager and shut up.