1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPND: Jerry on Travis Frederick: 'He will start'

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Apr 26, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,857 Messages
    3,782 Likes Received
    Apr 26
    12:51
    AM CT

By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas – The company line is that Cowboys first-round pick Travis Frederick will compete for a starting job this season.

“I had hoped we could come out of this thing with a legitimate starter, a legitimate starter, and he will start,” owner/general manager Jerry Jones said. “He will start. First-rounder and not starting? I know coach wants there to be competition and should be, and we all know that’s the way it is.”

So does the 6-foot-3 5/8, 320-ish-pound Frederick begin his NFL career at guard or center? That’s something the coaches need to determine as quickly as possible after full-team offseason workouts begin next month.

“We’re going to put a base in there where you don’t have a knock-back issue,” Jones said. “Bill Callahan is a big center guy. After your left tackle, he likes the center position as far as the best players on the offensive line. Well, we’ve got Costa. We’re pretty proud of Costa, frankly. Well, can this guy play guard? You bet he can.”

Added head coach Jason Garrett: “Because he has position flex and has played a full season at either spot, we feel good about maybe plugging him in at either spot and having him compete with the guys on our roster. We haven’t made that determination right now. We like competition, as you guys know, and he’ll certainly be very much in the mix.”

Read more: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4707836/jerry-on-travis-frederick-he-will-start
  2. CopenhagenCowboy

CopenhagenCowboy Active Member

886 Messages
    77 Likes Received
    Good to hear.
  3. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,687 Messages
    3,180 Likes Received
    Callahan is going to get the OL in much better shape this year. I'm very excited to see the improvement.
  4. Angus

Angus Active Member

5,064 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Now, to get Barrett Jones.

:)
  5. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,224 Messages
    1,818 Likes Received
    I have a problem with Owner/GM Jerry saying who will and will not start. At least he did mention the head coach wanting competition.

And I do agree that he most likely will start....hopefully for many, many years.
  6. Doomsday

Doomsday Rising Star

10,191 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    Why does Jerry insist on making people starters before they ever hit the practice field? We know he will most likely start but I hate his mentality of giving players positions, these things should be earned on the field.
  7. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,288 Messages
    6,243 Likes Received
    "We're pretty proud of Costa."

Wow.

If that doesn't tell you all you need to know about why the Cowboys don't win anymore, nothing will.
  8. Fletch

Fletch To The Moon

9,317 Messages
    521 Likes Received
    :shoot6:
  9. Fletch

Fletch To The Moon

9,317 Messages
    521 Likes Received
    If rookie QB's can start from day one, then a first round lineman can start. Especially this dude! Not that big of a deal. :rolleyes:
  10. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

4,584 Messages
    1,286 Likes Received
    What is position flex?
  11. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,392 Messages
    311 Likes Received
    Yup. Another day..another act of Jones stupidity. What a complete idiot. :banghead:
  12. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,718 Messages
    725 Likes Received
    I was gonna ask the same question. Jerry has a history of giving guys jobs before they have a chance to earn it. He declared Holmes to be of great value and we kept that dude around way longer than we should have. He did the same thing last year with Leary, saying the guy could end up starting out of camp until he actually got on the field and everyone saw he was in the deep end.
  13. Risen Star

20,288 Messages
    6,243 Likes Received
    Position flexibility. It means he can play multiple positions. In the case of Frederick, he can be a LG, C or RG. That's pretty valuable.
  14. Risen Star

20,288 Messages
    6,243 Likes Received
    The GM should have no say on who starts.
  15. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

3,990 Messages
    435 Likes Received
    I'm better with the pick after seeing what they did on day 2. He'll be our starting center for 10 to 12 years.
  16. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

4,584 Messages
    1,286 Likes Received
    Thanks for the explanation.
  17. CoCo

CoCo Well-Known Member

5,526 Messages
    89 Likes Received
    Go back and review all the things that Jerry has said over the years. Then see how many come true. It might lead you to believe that not every word that comes out of his mouth is true or in some cases meant to be taken as literally some take it.

The guy is all over the place at times in his communication attempts - and yet some people hang on every word.

To each his own I guess.
  18. jobberone

jobberone Orangutans make great guitarists Staff Member

35,871 Messages
    3,008 Likes Received
    You're my new BFF. :) Love this guy.
  19. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,756 Messages
    1,190 Likes Received
    Wouldn't hate it in the fourth, though I think I'd prefer Alvin Bailey.

I think if Frederick has the most upside as a C, you put him there. Get a guy in there who can make the right calls all the time, and isn't going to get pushed back into Tony's face. I know guard play has to be improved still, but I certainly woudln't mind pushing out Costa to get a good player there.
  20. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,280 Messages
    354 Likes Received
    hmmm...sounds like Dallas is lining him up as Guard but reports we are hearing...he is like slowest OL to come out in 20 years. Just can't see him pulling or trapping. He needs to be a center who anchors.