1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPND: Michael Irvin disappointed by Dez Bryant arrest

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jul 18, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,965 Messages
    3,915 Likes Received
    Jul 17
    9:19
    PM CT
    By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- When the Dallas Cowboys drafted Dez Bryant in 2010, they gave him No. 88 in hopes he would be the team’s next Drew Pearson or Michael Irvin.

Speaking on the NFL Network on Tuesday, Irvin, the Cowboys’ Hall of Fame wide receiver, said he was disappointed to learn of Bryant’s arrest Monday for family violence. DeSoto Police allege Bryant grabbed his mother, Angela, by her t-shirt and hair and “hit her across the face with his ball cap” last Saturday.

“To say this is totally out of the realm of possibility, I wouldn’t be totally honest,” Irvin said. “We know (with) Dez’s background and his upbringing that he may have the proclivity to make bad decisions. I had that proclivity. But to go this distance with it is a bit far. I don’t even care to talk about what the Dallas Cowboys must be doing here. I need to know what some counsel is going to tell Dez or what guy he is talking to about this issue. You cannot -- and you heard (Bryant’s mother) say she is tired of this, she can’t take it. Obviously it’s so sad because it’s not the first time and there certainly is something going on there. If we care anything about him, the man -- forget the football -- we need to make sure somebody looks into this.”

Read more: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowb...chael-irvin-disappointed-in-dez-bryant-arrest
  2. dfense

dfense Well-Known Member

2,485 Messages
    160 Likes Received
    Really Mike? you are my all time favorite Cowboy. But your criminal record stands alone. He has a few more arrests coming before you should comment. ;)
  3. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,722 Messages
    141 Likes Received
    Just be thankful no scissors were handy, Mike...
  4. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

4,235 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    And Vick is disappointed in animal abusers
  5. jamesdojr

jamesdojr Member

650 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    LOL So True..

:laugh2:

6. Gameover

Gameover Well-Known Member

2,640 Messages
    334 Likes Received
    You guys are hardcore.

What have you done for me lately?

#coldworld
  7. JakeCamp12

JakeCamp12 Well-Known Member

2,098 Messages
    77 Likes Received
    Mike do us a favor and just zip it. We don't need to know your thoughts on this as this is just the type of stupidity you did to destroy our dynasty.
  8. jrumann59

jrumann59 Well-Known Member

3,735 Messages
    220 Likes Received
    His stupidity was much more damaging and it was in the twilight of his career not in the beginning so being young and dumb could not be used.
  9. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Everybody is. Dez has to grow up or his Cowboy's career will be short lived.
  10. cowboys#1

cowboys#1 Finish!

2,408 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    the playmaker earned the right to say anything he wants
  11. ROUSH8692

ROUSH8692 Well-Known Member

1,188 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    Irvin is such a hypocrite...

I saw him at a gym in Plano a couple months back get kicked out for throwing punches at some dude...

Idiot coulda ended up in cuffs too
  12. Rynie

Rynie Benched

4,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Man. I was about to post "well, maybe Irvin's actually grown up since then", but apparantly he hasn't. He's still my favorite though.
  13. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,213 Messages
    1,939 Likes Received
    Haha....funny as hell how quickly people turn on ex-players, even the greats.
  14. Rynie

Rynie Benched

4,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Haha. I'll just say it...put me in the "I don't care what he's done off the field as long as he's productive ON the field" camp.
  15. nablives

nablives New Member

541 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm not sure how he's being a hypocrite if he says Dez seems to have a habit of making bad decisions, and then he admits that he used to have the same problem. That's directly the opposite of being hypocritical.
  16. Hoofbite

32,213 Messages
    1,939 Likes Received
    Well, what he does off the field can prevent him from being on the field........not sure that's the best mentality.
  17. cowboy_ron

4,235 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    I think it has more to do with the if you live in a glass house thingy:D
  18. Hoofbite

32,213 Messages
    1,939 Likes Received
    Is it really living in a glass house if you've repeatedly admitted that you were a screw up, publicly apologized to your wife at your HoF induction for putting her through all the things she didn't deserve and now strive to educate the younger players on the pitfalls in their path?

The guy at one point in time made horrible decisions so he has no place to speak on the possible negative outcomes of making horrible decisions?

So who has the right?

Probably a good thing this sort of mentality doesn't persist in real life. Imagine a support group where a member with time under his belt befriended a newcomer and warned him about the hurdles he will face and then expressed disappointment when the guy he invested time into couldn't adequately identify and avoid such hurdles.

People say Dez needs help and needs to surround himself with people who can help him.

Who is that going to be? People who don't know what it's like to come from nothing? People he can't relate to at all?

Irvin has every right to say something after having taken his time and given it to Dez in an attempt to help him become a better player and a better person.
  19. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,722 Messages
    141 Likes Received
    Oh I wasn't turning on him... I would love to have a 53 man roster that worked as hard as he did...

I was just commenting that we all make mistakes... and his were pretty severe and damaged the franchise severely...

Still love the guy though...
  20. cowboy_ron

4,235 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    :worthy2: