1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPND: Montrae Holland cut, Derrick Dockery signed

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Sep 4, 2011.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,233 Messages
    7,063 Likes Received
  2. Cowboy06

Cowboy06 Active Member

456 Messages
    97 Likes Received
    Bout time. They need to look at Brookings if he doesn't heal well. I like Bennett but he needs to do better. Sorry I'm rambling
  3. natesboys051

natesboys051 New Member

112 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I,personally, like Nagy but was hoping that Jerrah would allow him and Arkin to develop their strength this season by signing an estalished OG (if Montrae didn't work out for us). That would give the Boys two big 6'6" OGs in Kosier and Dockery with only a rookie at Center and RT. I saw Nagy get shoved around pretty good against the Dolphins 2ND AND 3RD string D-Linemen and we all know the 'speed of the game' picks up even more when the regular season starts. I really do EXPECT the JETS nasty and big starting D-Line to expose our young rookies in the 1st game and forced Jerrah to relook his 'decision' to keep mostly 'undeveloped' O-Linemen this year. I'm actually 'praying' that it works out but that would be like sipping cheap Koolaid instead of expensive Brandy.
  4. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,558 Messages
    1,815 Likes Received
    I don't really understand this move. Granted I don't know a whole lot about Dockery, but we're replacing one vet backup guard with another. Is Dockery that much better than Holland?
  5. Illini88228

Illini88228 Well-Known Member

1,211 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    It may be an attitude thing. I don't get the impression that showing up X pounds overweight was a good way to get on Garrett's good side.
  6. jimnabby

jimnabby Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,198 Messages
    948 Likes Received
    Doesn't have to be much better. A little bit better is enough to make a move like this. Or a little bit cheaper. Or a little bit better attitude.
  7. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I definitely think attitude is part of it.

And I'm guessing that he may be a bit cheaper as well.

I think Dockery is a bit better than Holland at this stage in his career too (though perhaps only marginally).

Clearly, the message has been sent by Garrett - if the players didn't already know - you better show up in shape.
  8. JackMagist

JackMagist The Great Communicator

5,726 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't know exactly what they saw to make this change but I'm glad see Holland gone. I thought he would do something for us when e came here but every time he got in a game he went out hurt after two plays.

I think it is funny that three years ago ahlf of the people on this bord wanted to replace Kosier saying he was our weak link. And now he is the only member of that line the is still here. Moreover the guys that they brought in to replace the other 4 guys are all more in the mold of Kosier than any of the other guys.
  9. Joshmvii

Joshmvii Cowboys baby!

2,659 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    If he's healthy Derrick Dockery is a huge upgrade over Holland. At worst, he's solid depth.
  10. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,486 Messages
    344 Likes Received
    It could be a health and physical conditioning thing too...a veteran presence doesn't help you unless he's capable of competing and getting on the field when needed.

I hate that we are actually improved by players the Skins don't want, but I'll get over it.
  11. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I think one of the reasons the Skins moved on without Dockery because he was costing them around $3mm - and that he didn't fit Shanny's OL scheme.
  12. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,950 Messages
    1,392 Likes Received
    I think is probably another clear sign about how Garrett feels about attitude and hard work and they moved to a guy that Garrett likely felt would be a much better fit in both ways.
  13. kristie

kristie Well-Known Member

7,616 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    i just hope it pays off in the end.
  14. proline

proline Active Member

1,377 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I'm concerned about the rookies' conditioning in the second half of the season. You always hear that rookies need a year in an NFL training program. I don't want to see our rookies fade at the end of the season.
  15. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,555 Messages
    163 Likes Received
    He is, but that's not even the main reason for the move.

The first reason is that Holland is fat and out of shape and has been this way for 3 seasons now.

He doesn't fit the mould of our new OL which is leaner and more agile.

Lastly, Holland can't play a whole game without getting hurt anymore so he isn't a reliable backup. If we're gonna carry a vet into the game to backup at OG, it can't be Holland because we can't rely on him to finish the game.