1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPND: OTL: Dallas Cowboys using sweatshop labor in Cambodia

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by TheFinisher, Jan 8, 2012.

1. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,511 Messages
    682 Likes Received
  2. rbr651

rbr651 Active Member

659 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    Little bity fingers have an easier time sewing the letters on
  3. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

9,076 Messages
    372 Likes Received
    Well, that's unfortunate.
  4. dadymat

dadymat I'm kind of a Big Deal

6,022 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Romos fault
  5. Randy White

Randy White Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

6,116 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    very embarrassing.. :mad:
  6. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,586 Messages
    2,243 Likes Received
    $0.29 / hr.

$100 / month.

Maybe if they save for a decade they can afford a trip to Jerry's palace.
  7. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,266 Messages
    1,411 Likes Received
    I wonder what the Viet Nam, Bangladash, and Tai Won sew shops would reveal?
  8. Joe Realist

Joe Realist No Kool-Aid here!

6,938 Messages
    447 Likes Received
    Disgusting and embarrasing
  9. JoeCorrado

JoeCorrado Active Member

1,972 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    What happens in Cambodia, also happens every day all across America. For example, Illinois has a "one day rest in seven" law that says a worker cannot be "forced" to work the seventh day of the work week- that law is routinely violated. Workers are never forced... instead they are told, "we need you here..." If a worker decides that they will "force the issue" and take the day off, that is fine... then they too will feel pressure, and the fear of reprisal. And having the target on your back, in today's economy- is not a good thing. No matter the country, the wage, or the law.

The hourly wage, is irrelevant and is controlled by the local economy. I note that several workers smoke cigarettes in this piece- could you afford cigarettes on 29 cents an hour in this country? A cell phone? Clothing? Food? Not likely.

The fact is that the Cowboys contract out the manufacture of apparels, they rely on those businesses to follow the laws for their own country. Those countries must police their own as well. The Cowboys, being a small customer, cannot change the way a business conducts itself. While these workers may be asked top work more overtime, I doubt that the Cowboys are the reason why.

For the record, an audit is different from an investigation; one typically reviews the records kept for recorded violations and addresses those- the other actually investigates to determine individually the facts independent of what the records may indicate, and "assumes" violations have occurred..

The Cowboys must simply verify that a contract violation between themselves and the manufacturer has occurred, use that to void the contract, and find another supplier. And then, the jobs lost at this factory, may be recreated elsewhere.

Does that solve the problem? For the Cowboys it does- for the workers there- it does nothing. Except perhaps place a few more workers on the street and add more competition for jobs on those still working.

These issues are far more complicated than this piece insinuates. Shame on ESPN for taking the easy and more sensational road. They sure won't help the workers... if that was their goal. More likely their goal was to get the headline the used.

Cowboys apparel, as far as I am concerned- should always be "made in America" - problem solved, right? Because labor law is never violated in the United States. Right?
  10. DallasDW00ds0n

DallasDW00ds0n Well-Known Member

3,220 Messages
    283 Likes Received
    rich get richer, while the middle class workers and the poor keep helping them
  11. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,342 Messages
    239 Likes Received
    It seems they've been doing this for a while too and are well aware of what is happening. When Nike does a better job of preventing this stuff than you are? You aren't doing **** to stop it.

I won't be purchasing any more Cowboys gear until this is corrected.
  12. Sam I Am

31,342 Messages
    239 Likes Received
    This is flat out ignorant. The Cowboys damn sure have a HUGE share of the blame here. If they are paying their employees .29 cents an hour, that means the Cowboys pay less for the product. The Cowboys are having their products manufactured there for that reason alone. It's cheap labor. Cheap labor means higher margins on their products which are already way way way overpriced.

They could easily have them manufactured in the US, though they would be paying the workers probably closer to $10-$14 an hour. At $14, that is 48x the wage the Cambodians are being paid.

Even if the Cowboys can't change that manufacturer, they could have their products made elsewhere rather than supporting such activities.
  13. Rynie

Rynie Benched

4,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :lmao2:
  14. JoeCorrado

JoeCorrado Active Member

1,972 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    A mind is a terrible thing to waste. :rolleyes:

Go back and re-read the post, slower if you need to. Sound out the words, get a dictionary, or ask an adult to explain the big words for you. If the content, of my post remains just too much for you to wrap your little mind around, come back here and ask politely, I might be willing to enlighten you.
  15. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,679 Messages
    1,493 Likes Received
    Nike and and many others have been doing this for years, where is the outrage about that?
  16. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    It happens . There is a good chance that the Cowboys knew nothing about this .
  17. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,906 Likes Received
    I think it is a horrible situation with no winners. As bad as we see this exploitation the alternative for these kids is not making any money for a living when they desperately need it.

After seeing a documentary on child labor in these 3rd world countries it showed the kids suffered even more when companies turned away from these sweatshops.

I’m sure some will take my statement the wrong way, believe me I wish the conditions were better for these kids and we could put our foot down and do things to end it but then what happens to those kids when there is no job and there is no money? It is almost as if by doing the right thing you make matters worse for them
  18. Sam I Am

31,342 Messages
    239 Likes Received
    The first step is to pressure the current manufacturer to change their ways. Remember, it's work no matter where it's made. Granted it could hurt those workers, but it will help workers elsewhere. You can't help everyone, but the ones you do help you can make sure they are treated properly.
  19. Sam I Am

31,342 Messages
    239 Likes Received
    Cowboys admitted in the video they've known about it. :mad:
  20. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,906 Likes Received
    I understand that and in theory is it great but I have seen what happens to those kids once that business is shut down. Yes you would be helping others but when talking about these 3rd world contries it is the differance of a job or in many cases death for these kids.