1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPND:Patriots guard Donald Thomas on Cowboys

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Mr Cowboy, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Mr Cowboy

Mr Cowboy Well-Known Member

8,191 Messages
    605 Likes Received
  2. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,073 Messages
    685 Likes Received
    So is this speculation or did they hear this from someone?
  3. jobberone

jobberone Orangutans make great bass players Staff Member

35,463 Messages
    2,806 Likes Received
    Doesn't source but I like the fact they're looking around. I just hope they're looking in the right direction.
  4. Maxmadden

Maxmadden Active Member

987 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    Sounds like spaghetti to me.
  5. bkight13

bkight13 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,251 Messages
    596 Likes Received
    I don't think they are going to spring for Levitre or Vasquez, so a guy like Brown could be a good fit. The Pats thought of keeping Thomas before re-signing Mankins, so the guy can play.
  6. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

1,719 Messages
    361 Likes Received
    For those who are curious, Donald Thomas is a 6-4, 305-lb. 5-year vet from Connecticut.
  7. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    He played very well for them when Mankins was out. They would keep him if they weren't already stacked with guards.
  8. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,199 Messages
    1,330 Likes Received
    I am trying to imagine the Boys being stacked with good guards, sadly I cannot.
  9. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,097 Messages
    4,017 Likes Received
    This is interesting to hear. (I trust your opinion more than I do 'Field Yates's,' IR). It'd freak people out, but I'd be ok with another unknown OG signing if our scouts really thought the guy was a good fit for a starting job here. The same goes at any position, obviously. At the very least, it'd give us more flexibility going into the draft if we added another starting-capable guard. It'd make looking at OT earlier an option, too.
  10. BHendri5

BHendri5 Well-Known Member

3,173 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    At least they are looking, but I still do not like that they are always looking for the cheap, or trying to find a diamond, just pay the money for the FA starters and incoming Starters from the draft.
  11. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    I've been following him since he was drafted, because I was eyeballing the Dolphins under Ireland/Parcells/Sparano. He really opened eyes for them right away and looked to be a late round steal as a 6th round rookie, even though he was very raw. He was supposedly one of the strongest guys in their weight room Day 1. Everyone raved about how naturally strong he was. He started Week 1 as a rookie, and reportedly graded out the as the best Dolphins OL in that game (even better than Jake Long). He also suffered a lisfranc injury in that game. He was put on IR the rest of the year.

The next year he started for them at RG and fairly played well, though not spectacular, which is understandable considering it was basically his rookie year and he was coming off a major injury. He hit a bit of a wall and his play significantly dropped by the end of the year, probably from an undisclosed injury (the Parcells way).

But Ireland/Sparano just weren't satisfied with pretty good and they didn't want to wait around for him to develop anymore. They had it in their minds they had to have the bestest offensive line that ever offensive lined and "win games in the trenches, where Championships are won" and blah blah blah stale bromides, etc. They spent a metric ton of resources on the OL between Jake Long, Justin Smiley, Jake Grove, resigning Vernon Carey, Ritchie Incognito, John Jerry, etc. When the Dolphins released Thomas, after he had started for him the previous year, they claimed they didn't think he could hold up physically, but I think he just got washed away with the churn and Ireland's impatience with wanting to have the most dominant OL in the NFL at all costs (sounds familiar). They also had just spent a 3rd round pick on John Jerry and probably wanted to clear the way for him to start at RG.

So he bounced around on waivers for a year. Given the Parcells and AFC East ties, it wasn't a huge surprise that eventually found his way to Belichick. He's played very well for them when he filled in for Mankins the last 2 years. But the Patriots have Mankins and Connolly and Marcus Cannon looks too slow to play tackle and will probably have to be moved inside. PFF claims he was even more consistent than Mankins this year, but it was probably a short sample size. They also list him as the 4th best free agent G, ahead of Vasquez because he's a much better run blocker.
  12. brickman

brickman Active Member

1,353 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    He's a guard and he's breathing. Sign him!
  13. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    I'll also add I wouldn't be surprised if the Patriots made a strong push to resign him with their new cap room. Mankins and Vollmer are always injured, and they might decide that he's just better than Connolly.