1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ESPND: Witten's self-analysis: 'Peak is still right there'

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, May 17, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,548 Messages
    3,395 Likes Received
    May 16
    12:29
    PM CT
    By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

GRAPEVINE, Texas – Jason Witten will welcome second-round tight end Gavin Escobar to the Cowboys, just as the eight-time Pro Bowler did with Anthony Fasano and Martellus Bennett.

But Witten isn’t anywhere near the point of being ready to pass the baton as the Cowboys’ primary tight end. To the contrary, the 31-year-old Witten considers himself in the middle of his prime after catching a career-high 110 passes last season.

“I felt like last year, once I got past the first couple of games, was probably my best year that I’ve had – not just because of the catches, because of the blocking and all-around,” Witten said between holes at the Cowboys’ golf tournament. “I feel really good. It sounds like we’re going to change our identity a little bit with the two-tight end sets a little more, but I feel good.

“I don’t know that I’d put a timetable on this amount of years, but I do feel that there’s nobody that’s probably more honest with themselves with where I’m at. Physically, I feel good.”

“You’ve got to be careful to compare yourself with him,” Witten said. “You’re talking about probably the best tight end to ever play, but I do think this is a position where you talk about being in the right spot, position, leverage, awareness. All of those things go into it. If you ever lose a step, like Tony has, you still can be very productive. It’s not so much about that as it is creating those mismatches. That’s something I take a lot of pride in.

Read the rest: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowb...s-self-analysis-the-peak-is-still-right-there
  2. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,041 Messages
    3,959 Likes Received
    Interesting that he's specifically proud of the blocking. Both because his blocking is commonly considered to have really dropped off around here, and because it shows that his priorities are in the right place in terms of what a TE does for the team.

He's such a great player and a joy to watch on Sundays; we're very lucky to have him.