1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

ESPN's Adam Schefter : Chance Warmack could be in for a draft-day mini-slide

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by johnnyd, Apr 5, 2013.

1. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

9,019 Messages
    2,034 Likes Received
    i pay a little more attention to broaddus. former players and coaches. rather then kiper. Tebow won games but there were question son him being a nfl qb because hes basically a glorified RB. And was that in college too. So comparing Warmacks status to Tebows popularity is like apples to oranges too.
  2. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,808 Messages
    5,961 Likes Received
    There is a reason that NFL teams are using more and more Zone Blocking. It is really difficult for any NFL OLineman to consistently drive Defensive Linemen straight backwards.

When the Cowboys were winning Super Bowls in the early nineties, their OL averaged about 320 lbs; however, many of the NFL DTs were like the Cowboys starting DT Tony Casillas who was 6-3, 278. In the modern NFL, DLinemen have gotten bigger but many teams starting OL still don't average over 320.

In re-watching the Cowboys 2012 season on the All-22 and focusing on the OL, I observed many plays that failed due to the blockers getting "out-quicked". I didn't count the plays, but I believe that many more plays failed for this reason as compared to plays that failed due to straight up being over powered. The exception was probably Doug Free. He was overpowered often.
  3. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,808 Messages
    5,961 Likes Received
    Broaddus hyped David Arkin when the Cowboys drafted him.
  4. NeonDeion21

NeonDeion21 Well-Known Member

2,136 Messages
    495 Likes Received
    Just for reference:

David Decastro

40 Yrd Dash: 5.43
    10 Yrd Dash: 1.79
    20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.56

And remember, DeCastro was considered to be one of the more athletic guards to come out in some time. He is a the definition of a zone guard as he is best at pulling and trapping. He really struggles with power and one-on-one blocking against DTs.

Combine stats don't mean much to me for Guards. DeCastro is quicker, Warmack stronger at the POA.
  5. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    There was not a lineman, including Tyron, that didn't get pushed back on a regular basis. Using man blocking linemen in a zone scheme is a stupid move. Of course the linemen were getting out quicked. The scheme doesn't fit their talents.
  6. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

32,123 Messages
    7,829 Likes Received
    Wut??
  7. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    My two points ran together.:D

One point is that more than Free got pushed around.

The other point is that the linemen doesn't fit the scheme.
  8. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

9,019 Messages
    2,034 Likes Received
    So Broaddus is the only scout/ex scout to ever get a evaluation wrong?
  9. EGG

EGG Well-Known Member

4,616 Messages
    498 Likes Received
    Of Warmack and Cooper:

BOOM! Goes the dynamite.

It's okay, there were several others that followed your lead (but none of them bet their life savings)
  10. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

4,002 Messages
    1,538 Likes Received
    wow, an "I told you so" guy....lovely...the high road is always better so sayeth Fredd
  11. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,872 Messages
    1,709 Likes Received
    a LOT of people had Warmack going to Tenn. So what is this slide?
  12. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

4,002 Messages
    1,538 Likes Received
    exactly...no slide for this guy