1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Evaluating "rushmen" depth

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Awakened, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Awakened

Awakened the Dude abides

776 Messages
    44 Likes Received
    So, we're all excited by what Marinelli has accomplished with guys like Selvie and Hayden. Who will be the next diamond in the rough to emerge from the Marinelli's magic lab?

I realize some of these guys are seen as primarily special teamers. But, setting that aside, which of these guys do you think has a chance to thrive under Marinelli as a "rushman"?

Kyle Wilbur - Drafted in 2012, switched from LB to DE a few months ago
    Edgar Jones - DE added via trade Aug 31st
    Caesar Rayford - DE added via trade Sept 4th
    David Carter - FA signing Sept 17th
    Drake Nevis - FA signing Sept 24th

I'm going with Nevis, even though I hate to be typical forum poster whose favorite player is always the freshest acquisition. But I really do think that dude could become a beast under Marinelli.
    dogberry likes this.
  2. boysfanindc

boysfanindc Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,805 Messages
    217 Likes Received
    Seems most in the organization believe Nevis has that kind tool set, but heck what I have seen from Marinelli I would not count any of them out.
  3. XDez88BeastX

XDez88BeastX Active Member

238 Messages
    70 Likes Received
    I think there is high potential for both Nevis & Rayford both have great potential to be at least high quality back ups
    BAT likes this.
  4. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,115 Messages
    253 Likes Received
    My feelings exactly. Whatever we get from Rayford and Nevis is icing on the cake, but Marinelli is pure magic and my expectations have dramatically increased for every DL no matter their pedigree.
  5. jaybird

jaybird Active Member

635 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    Jones had a great per season for the colts. I vote EJ
  6. Texas_Pete

Texas_Pete Active Member

836 Messages
    139 Likes Received
    I hope Drake Nevis does. He was a beast in college. I've read that Rod's scheme is a much better fit for him than the 3-4 schemes he's played in. If he plays well, when Rat returns, we'll have arguably one of the best DL in the league.
    visionary likes this.
  7. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,683 Messages
    3,178 Likes Received
    I don't know the answer to your question. But I am very excited to see Bass and Crawford with that group next year. Should be some good competition for roster spots.
    visionary likes this.
  8. Awakened

Awakened the Dude abides

776 Messages
    44 Likes Received
    Yeah, no kidding. That's assuming somebody doesn't snag Marinelli and make him their DC.
  9. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,005 Messages
    126 Likes Received
    Yeah, the Cowboys organization needs to make Marinelli the happiest DLine coach in the NFL. And he should be next in line for DC whenever Kiffin decides to retire. The real worry will come if Lovie Smith returns as a head coach next year.
    visionary likes this.
  10. XDez88BeastX

XDez88BeastX Active Member

238 Messages
    70 Likes Received
    I'm a little worried Lovie may wind up back in Tampa if schiano continues to fail..... That could be bad news for us
  11. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,990 Messages
    1,023 Likes Received
    Nevis has a Russell Maryland type build.
  12. dallasdave

dallasdave Well-Known Member

2,641 Messages
    320 Likes Received
    Rayford and Nevis will have the most impact over the season.