1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Expect a Trade Down In The First

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Hostile, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,115 Messages
    3,139 Likes Received
    Looking Defense with 2 of the first 3 picks. Nothing about targets right now.
  2. fortdick

fortdick Well-Known Member

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    Please elaborate. Why should we expect a trade down? I fear trading down we are risking getting a more risky player. Something I don't think we can afford now.

Also, if we are trading down, I would expect we are going after a particular needs and not a BPA. That would make me suspect a Konz or a simliar position type need is being chased.

As long as it isn't Kirkpatrick or Pacman Jenkins.
  3. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

18,146 Messages
    1,857 Likes Received

Appreciate the info, as disheartening as it may be.
  4. fortdick

fortdick Well-Known Member

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    It still leaves open DeCastro in the first. Always thought they would go one in the first and the other in the second.
  5. CowboysLaw87

CowboysLaw87 Active Member

599 Messages
    216 Likes Received
    I know you have an actual source, Hos, and I rely only on connecting the dots... but Jerry's words did strike me as sort of a "prepare yourself mentally for a trade down" type thing.

Of course I'd need to know the picks we're getting back. I'm not overly hyped about any defenders that are likely to be there at #14, so I wouldn't be ultra opposed to a trade back, especially if we use that added picks to deal up in future rounds.
  6. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Yup, been getting that vibe as well.

IMO:
    You can focus on the four Alabama prospects after a trade down in Round 1.

Upshaw, Kirkpatrick, Barron or Hightower.
  7. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

3,105 Messages
    1,309 Likes Received
    Im ok with this. Hopefully Cox is still around.
  8. Tex

Tex Active Member

558 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    I see them wanting to trade down. Problem is everyone and their dog also appears to want to trade down. Not a very good position to be in.

I think in their dreams they are envisioning(after one or MORE trades) getting a pick in the early 20's and another in the late first/early second.

Which gets them someone with "potential" as an edge rusher and maybe Koonz or Zeitler later. I wish they would hang tight. Only way I would trade down is if Decastro is gone.

Tex
  9. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    707 Likes Received
    I am ok with this as long as we dont trade down all the way to the bottom of the first or even completely out of the first rd.
  10. Zaxor

Zaxor Virtus Mille Scuta

8,398 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    yup heard something very similiar
  11. Bowdown27

Bowdown27 Well-Known Member

2,679 Messages
    273 Likes Received
    Thanks hos and sdogo. I'll be very pleased with a trade down and picking any of them listed then konz or hell another one of the ones listed lol
  12. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,502 Messages
    872 Likes Received
    GOOD!!! This team has far too many holes and not enough picks. Love this plan
  13. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Trading down could make sense - depending who is still there at 14, obviously.

But I was looking at nationalfootballpost.com, and Bunting has 13 players with the same grade of 7.0, starting with pick 14, interestingly enough.

These players include
    Barron
    Konz
    Tannehill
    M Adams
    M Floyd
    D Still
    J Jenkins
    C Fleener
    A Ta'amu
    B Thompson
    Upshaw
    K Wright, and
    O Charles

I'm not saying the Cowboys have 13 players with the same grade right around pick 14 (like Bunting does), but it could be that they too have quite a few players lumped together right around where we pick.

Personally, I would have added Cox, Perry, and Gilmore to the list above and removed Ta'amu.
  14. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,595 Messages
    358 Likes Received
    I like the idea.
    Trade back and get an extra 2nd hopefully.
    LB,OG,C,CB, DE first 4 rounds

That one offense pick better be a OG or C. Either Zeitler or Konz.

I excpect first 3 of 4 picks will be defense. Then we go offense the rest of the draft.
  15. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    If we can get 4 picks in the Top 100 and a total of six in the Top 135, that will be sweet.
  16. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,673 Messages
    1,490 Likes Received
    Get me some combination of Konz, Fleener, and Curry and I would sign off on it.
  17. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Jason: "Hey Nick, it's me ... Jason"

Saban: "Oh, hey Jason, what's up?"

Jason: "Not much. Just doing some homework. Hey, listen, in your opinion which one of your former players is the least overrated?"
  18. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,115 Messages
    3,139 Likes Received
    The Cowboys are fielding talks for that pick. We are probably targeting Konz right now (I wish they'd just put DeCastro at Center), and then DB and DL with the next 2 picks.

This is me guessing.
  19. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

8,064 Messages
    956 Likes Received
    As long as we somehow get Brandon Thompson in this draft, I'll be happy.
  20. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,558 Messages
    2,429 Likes Received
    The Morning News said today that after the FA period Jerry is really focused on getting the best defensive player available in the first round.