1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Explain your handle

Discussion in 'Members Zone' started by stag hunter, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Juke99

Juke99 ...Abbey someone

22,271 Messages
    3 Likes Received

Uh, so is mine. :D
  2. adbutcher

adbutcher K9NME

10,708 Messages
    350 Likes Received
    :laugh2:
  3. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    OK, I can't believe I didn't get into this thread earlier, but I'll bet I come up with the LONGEST response...

Way back in the early 70s, I was going to college down at Texas-El Paso (UTEP)... I was all of 5-8, 150 pounds dripping wet, and I fancied myself a basketball player... not lacking for ego, I billed myself as the World's Greatest 5-8 Basketball Player...

The basketball coach at UTEP at the time was the legendary Don Haskins, aka the Bear... I was just about a groupie for the guy, I was always talkin' about him, and my buddies at the dorm figured they'd insult me by callin' me "Bear, Junior"... problem was, I liked the nickname, LOL...

And in the fullness of time, my scrawny frame filled out to a semi-powerful build, and I came to LOOK a little like a bear-- big ol' chest and torso, but fairly short arms and legs... then I grew a beard, giving me the requisite wooly look... anyway, the nickname stuck over the years...

But when I first came online, and needed to come up with an online nom de plume, I found that "Bear" was taken in just about every forum I wandered into... so I figured that "SilverBear" would work, for two reasons:

The Cowboys' colors are blue and silver, so workin' silver into the name was a tribute to my love for the team...

And I used to work as a golf professional (club pro); in that biz, Jack Nicklaus was known as the Golden Bear... Jack was my hero, and I figured I'll never be near as good as him, and silver is less valuable than gold...

And thus was the legend of SilverBear born... what followed was 7 years of troll baiting and epic-length draft analyses, LOL...
  4. SweCowboy

SweCowboy Member

218 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Well I'm a swedish cowboys fan. Not much more to it.