1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

FA Target for the Cowboys per Yahoo Contributor

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by CrazyCowboy, Jan 10, 2013.

1. CrazyCowboy

CrazyCowboy Well-Known Member

32,183 Messages
    162 Likes Received
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/dallas-cowboys-top-free-agent-target-223500166--nfl.html

COMMENTARY | Free agency may not officially begin until March 12th, but for the Dallas Cowboys, planning for it began the moment Tony Romo threw his 19th interception of the season.

Of course, their offseason checklist has been reprioritized.

While the focus of the NFL community has been on the playoffs, Jerry Jones' team, as always, has had no shortage of attention. The unexpected firing of defensive coordinator Rob Ryan set the stage for debate across the social media fray. His release cleared up any doubt about the changes Jones threatened after their season ending loss to the Washington Redskins.

The effect Ryan's departure will have on the upcoming free agency period largely depends on his replacement. There is some speculation that the desire for an entire defensive makeover led to his dismissal. It's certainly more complicated than just switching schemes. You don't fire a contractor in the middle of the job unless you're ready for a complete redesign.

But before that redesign can happen, you have to analyze your financial status. The Cowboys are projected to be about $20 million above the salary cap. Combine that with 16 free agents, an entire draft class yet to be named and it's hard to imagine any sort of major acquisition.

Put simply, the Cowboys are broke. They can't afford to take the gloves off and go swinging into March with a blank check.
  2. The Natural

The Natural Well-Known Member

4,801 Messages
    1,571 Likes Received
    Paul Kruger huh..:laugh2: yea I'll pass
  3. BruceLee5450

BruceLee5450 Well-Known Member

2,113 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    Try & get 1 of these guys if they aren't tagged : Andy Levitre or Henry Melton
  4. RealCowboyfan

RealCowboyfan Championship

4,587 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Henry Melton.
  5. IAmLegend

IAmLegend Well-Known Member

4,160 Messages
    1,276 Likes Received
    Love Melton but he's going to command a pretty steep price tag himself. He's young and a great pass rushing DT, but that would most likely be our only signing. would you rather that, or sign 2-3 players who command less money but add depth at different positions?
  6. Star Guard_31

Star Guard_31 Active Member

215 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    I actually like the idea of signing a younger Kruger over over resigning Anthony Spencer if we were staying with a 3-4 defense, this however does not appear to be in the cards.
  7. BruceLee5450

BruceLee5450 Well-Known Member

2,113 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    Of course, I'd like to add good depth, but if we can add one of the best DT's in a 4-3 system to go along with Ratliff I would prefer making our d-line as good as it can be. I understand your thinking as well
  8. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,501 Messages
    348 Likes Received
    Bills already said Levitre is their #1 priority. They will franchise Byrd and try to resign him later.

A guy I want Dallas to look at that no one is talking about is Louis Vasquez. I really liked him coming out off college and his had a great year in San Diego.
    He would be a good RG and shouldn't cost alot.
    Also he will be only 26 at the start of next season.
    he is 6-5 335 and can move very well.
  9. batman36

batman36 Member

508 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You think Norv might have some input on this?;)
  10. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,022 Messages
    2,258 Likes Received
    After what I saw tonight I would take him.

He looks like a quality left end to me.
  11. The Natural

The Natural Well-Known Member

4,801 Messages
    1,571 Likes Received
    Keith Brooking looked pretty good today too
  12. PA Cowboy Fan

PA Cowboy Fan Well-Known Member

1,905 Messages
    1,320 Likes Received
    Kruger is pretty good. I've seen a lot of Ravens games. They aren't letting him go though.
  13. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Well-Known Member

4,689 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    Dexter Coakley
  14. Diogenes

Diogenes Active Member

1,200 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    Kruger is a good football player.
  15. Diogenes

Diogenes Active Member

1,200 Messages
    13 Likes Received

Yes he is, me too, and I agree. They really like him there and Ozzie & co. are pretty good at judging talent.
  16. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

9,150 Messages
    496 Likes Received
    Unimpressed by this article. Not any real news. Just conjecture.
  17. Diogenes

Diogenes Active Member

1,200 Messages
    13 Likes Received

Half the threads here are. Like Payton coming to Dallas or Gruden coming to Dallas. My favorite was the one where the writer stated Garrett COULD get fired. Might get fired, might not. LOL, no ****! Top notch journalism.
  18. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

9,150 Messages
    496 Likes Received
    It's true. I wish I could make $$$$ writing articles on pure speculation. Frak. The more outrageous, the more interest it will generate.
  19. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,289 Messages
    240 Likes Received
    Mike Florio made a career of it.
  20. Diogenes

Diogenes Active Member

1,200 Messages
    13 Likes Received

I found it interesting that we've had all these speculative articles about the Cowboys in the past two weeks from supposed credible journalists with inside information, yet none of them had a clue about Rob Ryan getting canned. That's pretty funny.