1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Fairness doctrine... libs want government to baby sit this board.

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by JBond, Aug 15, 2008.

1. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,711 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    No a big surprise. Dems and libs want to limit free speech they don't agree with. Kinda reminds you of those other great societies such as the U.S.S.R. (the're back), Commie China and other pathetic "nations". Good old Nacy P., Harry Reid, Barry Obama, and their ilk have decided to kill free speech in the United States of America. I understand Barry O. is a "citizen of the world" and a "reformed muslim", so I understand his backward views of America. I do not get the rest of those clowns.

Anyway A poll showed a majority of Liberals want the Internet regulated under the fairness doctrine. What do you all think? Should a govenment employee with no accountability come regulate this board?
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

74,928 Messages
    1,543 Likes Received
    Of course not. There is a lot of things written and said that I don't agree with but I think people have the right to say them and write them and the consequences that go along with it.

Do you have a link on this information?
  3. ThaBigP

ThaBigP New Member

2,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  4. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    In the words of Col Sherman Potter.......MULE MUFFINS

If the Libs would put out a half way decent product *cough* Air America *cough* they would have a voice but they screwed it up.
  5. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

74,928 Messages
    1,543 Likes Received
    That is what it comes down to it is poor rating on the liberal talk shows vs conservative talk shows and the liberals can't stand it so instead of putting out a better show they want to remove the competition.
  6. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,711 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    http://rasmussenreports.com/public_...rnment_mandated_political_balance_on_radio_tv

Something you will notice is the majority of polls including the presidential polls are biased by Rasmussen. Most of his polls use 31% republicans and 41% dems and the rest "independent." That is why Rush says barry O. must be up by 10 to 15 points to have a prayer.

47% Favor Government Mandated Political Balance on Radio, TV
    Thursday, August 14, 2008 Email to a FriendAdvertisement
    Nearly half of Americans (47%) believe the government should require all radio and television stations to offer equal amounts of conservative and liberal political commentary, but they draw the line at imposing that same requirement on the Internet. Thirty-nine percent (39%) say leave radio and TV alone, too.

At the same time, 71% say it is already possible for just about any political view to be heard in today’s media, according to a new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey. Twenty percent (20%) do not agree.

Fifty-seven percent (57%) say the government should not require websites and blog sites that offer political commentary to present opposing viewpoints. But 31% believe the Internet sites should be forced to balance their commentary (full demographic crosstabs available for Premium Members.)

Please sign up for the Rasmussen Reports daily e-mail update (it’s free)… let us keep you up to date with the latest public opinion news.

In a July 2007 Rasmussen Reports survey, Americans were evenly divided on whether or not the government should require political balance on TV and radio stations. A survey this week has shown that voters consider media bias a bigger problem than large campaign contributions.

Conservatives have expressed alarm in recent months over congressional Democratic efforts to restore the so-called Fairness Doctrine which would mandate politically balanced commentary on the airwaves.

Just this week Robert McDowell, a Bush appointee to the Federal Communications Commission, suggested that the restoration of the Fairness Doctrine, abolished in 1987 by the Reagan administration, could lead to government regulation of content on the Internet.

Democrats are more supportive of government involvement in the airwaves than Republicans and unaffiliated voters. Fifty-four percent (54%) of Democrats favor it, and only 26% are opposed. Republicans and unaffiliated voters are fairly evenly divided.

Even Democrats say hands-off the Internet though but by a far smaller margin than Republicans and unaffiliated voters. Democrats oppose government-mandated balance on the Internet by a 48% to 37% margin. Sixty-one percent (61%) of Republicans reject government involvement in Internet content along with 67% of unaffiliated voters.

Only 45% of Americans say they are following recent news stories about the Fairness Doctrine even somewhat closely, while 15% say they are not following the story at all.

Democrats have been pushing the Fairness Doctrine in part because of the long-standing complaint by liberals that conservatives dominate talk radio. Conservatives counter that their political foes are just trying to use the government to push liberal talk radio even though it has been rejected by the marketplace.

In the new survey, 42% say there are more conservative radio talk shows because they get better ratings, but 28% believe it is because stations owners are biased. Seventeen percent (17%) attribute it to an unspecified other reason, and 13% are unsure.

Most Republicans (61%) believe conservative talk radio has flourished because of the ratings, with only 11% saying it is due to bias. Democrats, on the other hand, see bias as the reason over ratings by a 42% to 28% margin. Among unaffiliateds, 42% say ratings and 27% say bias.

Voters in all categories agree by sizable margins that it is possible for just about any political view to be heard in today’s media.

With the Congress expected to stay firmly under Democratic control, the responses of those who plan to vote for the party’s presidential candidate Barack Obama versus his Republican opponent John McCain suggest what direction the Fairness Doctrine debate is likely to take in the coming year. Fifty-eight percent (58%) of likely Obama voters believe the government should make all radio and TV stations offer equal amounts of conservative and liberal commentary, as opposed to 40% of potential McCain voters who feel that way. But 63% of McCain voters and 53% of Obama voters reject similar regulation of web sites and bloggers.

The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll shows that the race between Obama and McCain remains close and stable.

See survey questions and toplines. Crosstabs are available for Premium Members only.

Rasmussen Reports is an electronic publishing firm specializing in the collection, publication, and distribution of public opinion polling information.

The Rasmussen Reports ElectionEdge™ Premium Service for Election 2008 offers the most comprehensive public opinion coverage ever provided for a Presidential election.

Scott Rasmussen, president of Rasmussen Reports, has been an independent pollster for more than a decade.
  7. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,686 Messages
    2,705 Likes Received
    Found this the other day...

[IMG]

Always liked his sayings.

Anyways. I agree. If you put out a good product you don't need this type of action.
  8. ThaBigP

ThaBigP New Member

2,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Well, poll samples notwithstanding, a true Republic populated by those who firmly believe in freedom of speech should have a solid "0%" in the "let's regulate content" column. At the very least it should be in single digits.
  9. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Added to my collection....gracias
  10. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,273 Messages
    688 Likes Received
    So Pelosi and her desire with for the Fairness Doctrine is the same as the U.S.S.R and China. I don't see it. I don't agree with what Pelosi is doing or how the FD applies to the web. I think that is silly. I just know that I have seen conservatives and republicans support things that limit free speech in the past. Does that equate them to being like the U.S.S.R or China as well?

Obama was never a Muslim, but I know that fact is sometimes overlooked.
  11. Jarv

Jarv Loud pipes saves lives.

6,963 Messages
    52 Likes Received
    Does the fairness doctrine cover TV also ? A majority of the alphabet networks (ABC, CBC, NBC, MSNBC and CNN) are liberal biased...I had heard the fairness doctrine only applies to radio, where conservatives have the lead.
  12. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,711 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    His dad was Muslim, his brother is Muslim and claims Barry O. is Muslim. There are pics showing Barry O. in Muslim dresses. Barry O. attended extremist Muslim schools in his most formative years. Those are the facts. The true nut jobs in that religion believe if you leave the religion you must be killed. So why are Muslim fanatics supporting Barry O. if he turned his back on their religion?
    :confused:
  13. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,686 Messages
    2,705 Likes Received
    I have only heard it covering radio.

Don't worry though. Fox still dominates the cable news network shows just as the the right dominates talk radio.

Either way...put out a better product, more people will buy it.

On a side note...have noticed that Bill Oreilly seems to be getting better in his older age. Watched the last couple of nights and I was stunned at the difference in him.

Then Hannity came on and he was the same old shill.
  14. Jarv

Jarv Loud pipes saves lives.

6,963 Messages
    52 Likes Received
    Thats why I really don't think the name "Fairness" belongs. Lets see, Libs dominate alphabet soup "Over the Air" networks and conservatives dominate radio.

So lets balance out radio, where conservatives dominate, but let the Libs own the alphabet "Over the air" stuff.

So if the attempt here is too make every side heard, then this doctrine should also include everything, not just radio.
  15. utrunner07

utrunner07 Active Member

8,927 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    :lmao2::lmao2:Never heard that...so true
  16. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,196 Messages
    1,300 Likes Received

:laugh2:
  17. yeahyeah

yeahyeah New Member

502 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Absurd.....you cant win the fight then go tell the principal...cowards.
    If liberal aspects of society want a liberal voice in the media then purchase stations.
    The people will support you or reject you..let the market decide. Aparently they rejected them....wauu wauuu wauuuuu
    The liberals suck at radio for the same reason they suck at legislation. Its spineless, overly sensitive, feel good, garbage that trys to be all things to all people.
    Everyone walking on eggshells afraid to upset this fringe group or that person...politically correct, mierda.
    Now they want to legislate this because they got served...well tough.
    Fox news (we distort..you decide) and clowns like Limbaugh and Hannity are here because conservative groups saw a need and they put up the money to do it. The people responded..because for all their jargons..outright distortions and ridiculous pontificating they are united in message....a scary message, but a strong one and people respond to strength.
    Good on the Cons...I hope this one goes their way.
    This is one of those things that could get REEEEAAL stupid folks...Keep the government out..cause once they are in, they never leave.
  18. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,091 Messages
    1,266 Likes Received
    Jarv had a point- idiot biased liberals dominate newspaper, magazines and TV broadcast areas; conservatives only have Talk Radio and Fox News. And yet the idiot libs whine and cry.