1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Farmers Insurance Open at Torrey Pines

Discussion in 'Sports Zone' started by Doomsday101, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,825 Messages
    2,089 Likes Received
  2. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

1,281 Messages
    321 Likes Received
    Yeah, thats pretty impressive, a pre-knee/wreck/scandal performance. I could see Tiger having a big year this year. A lot depends on how he does on the greens as the year progresses. His putting left him at the wrong times the last couple of years.
  3. Doomsday101

75,825 Messages
    2,089 Likes Received
    True, I think this will be a big year for him. He has been able to concentrate on the short game more now that he is comfortable with the new swing he has been working on.
  4. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,913 Messages
    1,299 Likes Received
    I hope so. It's a ton of fun watching him just dominate the field.
  5. Doomsday101

75,825 Messages
    2,089 Likes Received
    It is fun watching great play. I think with some of the young guns out there like Rory Mcilroy the PGA tour should see some great duels take place between these 2 men
  6. RamziD

RamziD Well-Known Member

1,891 Messages
    97 Likes Received
    Yeah, it's been the driving that's done him in the last few years. He seems to be more confident and consistent with it now. This could finally be the year he gets to 15 major titles.
  7. thebigeasy88

thebigeasy88 Member

270 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    It's been his driving AND his wedge play. He was TERRIBLE from 110 yard and in last year. It's hard scoring when you're having to make putts from 30 feet all day. I agree...BIG year for Tiger and a BIG year for the PGA Tour. He's awesome to watch...
  8. Doomsday101

75,825 Messages
    2,089 Likes Received
    I think the driver has hurt him but the one thing I notice more than any thing is over the last couple of years how often Tiger would miss the 10 foot putts to save par. In past years anything 10 foot or inside was money for Tiger and he has been missing them.

Bridies are great but par saving putts are a must.
  9. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,913 Messages
    1,299 Likes Received
    They said that about David Duval, and Sergio, and even Anthony Kim, so I think people need to pump the breaks with Rory a bit and just wait and see.

The magic of Tiger is that he was so great for so long, and all those others guys have fallen to the wayside. It'll be interesting to see if Rory can stay consistent.
  10. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,325 Messages
    1,640 Likes Received
    Life is better when Tiger is a non factor.

The Tiger worship is sickening. Its bad enough on the telecasts, but its just awful on ESPN.
  11. RamziD

RamziD Well-Known Member

1,891 Messages
    97 Likes Received
    I don't know if it's "Tiger Worship" or just acknowledgement of the fact that he's probably the best golfer to ever play the game.
  12. Doomsday101

75,825 Messages
    2,089 Likes Received
    I'll just say I'm confident on Rory ablity. He has already won 2 majors. While guys like Kim and Garcia never have. Duval has 1 but then lost interest in the game according to him.

Rory has the talent and ability to battle for the #1 in the world as does Tiger which will make for some great battles between the 2.
  13. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,913 Messages
    1,299 Likes Received
    The guy was the best golfer in the world, and it wasn't even close, for around a decade. With no other marketable stars in the sport, why would it be any different?
  14. Doomsday101

75,825 Messages
    2,089 Likes Received
    I was going to say the same thing. His personal life is not my business and it is not as if football players, baseball players and basketball players have never fooled around. Hell Irvin is looked at as a hero by many Cowboy fans yet he cheated on his wife and was involved in drugs?

Tiger has made mistakes no question but his ability to play this game at a level few have ever done is the reason why people take interest in events he plays in. People want to see the unbelievable moments and Tiger has pulled many of those shots off that leave people in awe of his talent.
  15. WPBCowboysFan

5,325 Messages
    1,640 Likes Received
    Watching golf is like watching paint dry so in that respect Tiger has been good for golf I guess. But when he's doing well its just far too much slobbering over him. Its sickening really. And IMO thats all the reason needed to wish failure on him.
  16. honyock

1,281 Messages
    321 Likes Received
    I think Rory is gong to prove to have more staying power than Duval or Sergio. Duval didn't win a major until he was 29, and Sergio never broke through. After his meltdown in the Masters in 2011, Rory is the only player I've seen since Tiger that has shown that he can blow the field away in a major, especially at such a young age.

I don't think he'll be as consistent as Tiger was, but he should be around, and good, for a long time.
  17. Doomsday101

75,825 Messages
    2,089 Likes Received
    how is that different than any other top athlete in their profession?

Because he is considered one of the all time best that is reason to wish failure? OK
  18. honyock

1,281 Messages
    321 Likes Received
    The only thing I wished for with the first decade of Tiger's career was to have someone emerge as a real challenger. That always makes things more interesting and exciting. Jack had Palmer and Player, then Trevino, then later Watson. Trevino alone probably cost Jack about three majors, and Player and Watson probably close to the same. Trevino was one of the most fearless players in the clutch that has ever come along, it just seemed like he had no nerves.

That generation that was competing against Tiger seemed so intimidated by him that they'd fall apart in the big tournaments. He was the greatest grinder I've ever seen, and he'd get ahead and just par them to death.
  19. WPBCowboysFan

5,325 Messages
    1,640 Likes Received
    You missed the point. Its not that he is one of the all time greats.

It has to do with the over the top worship/adoration by the media. Its golf. Its like watching paint dry. We dont need 20 mins of Tiger coverage and praise to open SportsCenter when he wins.

Besides, the guy is a world class jerk. He treats people like crap. Thats common knowledge. He's just a POS for a human being.
  20. Doomsday101

75,825 Messages
    2,089 Likes Received
    It's golf and one of the most popular sports and a game that even the best athletes in the world love to play yet are in awe of those who can play it at the level of these professionals. Golf may not be your deal and that is fine

As for how he treats people that is a load of crap, Tiger does more to help others in need than he gets credit for.

As for problems yes he has so did Irvin I take he is also a POS?