1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Feed Me More Mock

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Biggems, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,603 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    right now we only have 6 picks. That is like going to a restaurant and not getting an appetizer or dessert. You get fed, but you leave wanting more.

So I say we are active in this draft, especially if we are in the early middle of each round.

Trade our 1st for a 1st, 2nd and 6th
    Trade our 2nd for a 2nd, 3rd, and 7th
    Trade our 3rd for a 3rd, 4th

Now we have 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5, 6, 6, 7 (almost doubling our picks)

1 - OG Jonathan Cooper - UNC
    We need OL help in the worst way. Livings has shown steady improvement as the season as gone on, but Bernie is horrible. Cooper is a beast and an athletic speciman.

2 - S Kenny Vaccaro - Texas
    This is a homer pick, but it is validated. We need safety help and he is one of the best prospects in this draft. He plays sideline to sideline. He is very good is pass coverage, though he can be beat from time to time. He brings aggression, toughness, and leadership. He will hit you if you come into his zone, that is for sure.

2 - DE Ezekial Ansah - BYU
    We need DL help, especially more pass rush. This guy is an athletic freak, a strong character guy, and has a great motor. He is relatively new to the game, but his freakish athleticism and willingness to learn and excel will make him a great prospect.

3 - C Khaled Holmes - USC
    We need a Center. Costa has played very good this year, when he hasn't been injured. Unfortunately, he has been injured almost all year. Cook was an adequate backup to bring in, but he isn't the long term answer. Killer has yet to step on the field, because of injury. Holmes is an animal. He comes from a football factory with a history of churning out great players. Holmes and Costa can compete for the starting job....giving us a nice long term duo at the Center position.

3 - WR Quinton Patton - Louisiana Tech
    This guy is one heckuva WR. I am worried though, cause he is charging up the value board. He may be gone by the 2nd round. If he is still on the board, no brainer, we take him. If he is gone, I would like to go after Cobi Hamilton of Arkansas. IMO, either one here at this pick would be outstanding for our offense and Romo.

4 - OT Lane Johnson - OU
    Ok, I hate the Sooners with a passion, and I am sure I have made that obvious. With that being said, this guy is a very good OT. He was a 6th round prospect to start the season, but he has been surging up the charts. I have seen him as high as the 2nd round on some sites. I am hoping with my fingers crossed that he will be here in the 4th.....though I have a feeling he will be long gone by now. Still, this is just a mock and we never actually know, so for now I will keep him here in my mock.

4 - OLB Quanterus Smith - Western Kentucky
    This guy has the body and athletic ability to be a longtime stud in the NFL. To get him here in the 4th is an absolute steal, if he pans out. We should be in the market for an OLB this offseason and Smith is an outstanding midround prospect.

5 - RB Kerwynn Williams - Utah St.
    He is undersized. However, he is fast and quite versatile. He can run, catch, return....and do it all well. Regardless of his size, he simply produces when he steps on the field.

6 - DT Brandon Williams - Missouri Southern St.
    A big, athletic small school player. He has a great work ethic and a strong character. This is my late round steal.

6 - CB Melvin White - Louisiana Lafayette
    He can play S or CB, and does well at both. We most likely lose Mike Jenkins in the offseason, so CB will be an area of need. I am hoping that we can somehow find a way to re-sign Jenkins. You can never have too many good CBs, especially with the injury bug always looming. Whether we keep Jenks or not, White would be a nice late-round prospect.

7 - OT Kyle Long - Oregon
    He is projected as a 6th rounder in some mocks. Still, he is raw, and new to OT. He has pedigree, son of Howie and brother of Chris. He is 6-7 over 300 lbs. He is playing OT right now, but he has experience along the DL. I figure that a 7th round prospect with his size, athleticism, versatility, and pedigree is well worth the pick.
  2. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,838 Messages
    915 Likes Received
    Man I want one of the three Aggies in the first. Didnt Long get thrown out of FSU which I thought was virtually impossible? For the most part like it though. Patton intriguing.
  3. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,603 Messages
    38 Likes Received

Yes he did. He admitted that he didn't take it as seriously as he should and he partied way too much while down there.
  4. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

10,189 Messages
    3,014 Likes Received
    Excellent mock. I like the players and the rounds where you project them.

You're finding some good under-the-radar players.

I went back and reviewed some Oregon games that I had Tivo'd. I don't think Kyle Long started any of them, but he played quite a bit in the 3 games that I quickly scanned through. He played both LT and LG. I didn't see any problems with his play. He appears to have decent size/strength with good quickness.
  5. blackbull

blackbull Well-Known Member

1,284 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    If we take a safety in the second make it Shawn Williams from UGA
  6. jobberone

jobberone Orangutans make great bass players Staff Member

35,429 Messages
    2,783 Likes Received
    I'm good with that.
  7. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,603 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    Can you give me some info on Williams?
  8. blackbull

1,284 Messages
    206 Likes Received
  9. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,838 Messages
    915 Likes Received
  10. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

4,866 Messages
    195 Likes Received
    Couple of problems if you use value from the trade value chart

Getting a 1rst and a 2nd means dropping 10 spots.....which is a lot. If we earn the 10th pick, I wouldn't want to drop to 20. And if we pick 15th, I certainly don't want to drop to 25.

Now your second trade

Still assuming we pick between 10-15, for us to get a 2nd and 3rd, we'd have to drop 15 spots. If we are picking 15th in round 2, the drop is 13.

So before the second round, we turned 10th+42nd into 20th+52nd+57th+89th. While on paper that seems great to some, the 57th and 89th are worth the dropoff of going from 10th and 42nd in round 1 and 2.

If we're closer to 15th, it becomes a tougher sell. We turn 15th+47th into 25th+57th+60th+92nd.

All in all, I don't think late 2nds and late 3rds are worth dropping down. Especially since this team isn't rebuilding (reguardless what anyone thinks they should do, they simply aren't).

So me personally, I'd take quality over quanity.
  11. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

10,189 Messages
    3,014 Likes Received
    In his mock scenario, both #2s would have to be mid to late in the round.
  12. windward

windward NFL Historian

14,685 Messages
    141 Likes Received
    Yes. Joeckel looks like a top 5 pick, while Moore looks like top 10. Matthews might be the most realistic option here.
  13. blackbull

1,284 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    I think because he isn't a Speed guy he will fall.
  14. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,603 Messages
    38 Likes Received
  15. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,929 Messages
    538 Likes Received
    Quality>Quantity. Unless you absolutely covet a player that is rated lower and a team calls you with a great offer Im taking the highest guy on my board. Its not like we're talking about a team that doesn't have a bunch of holes. You keep trading down like that and you just run the risk higher and higher of missing on your pick. Thats just common sense.
  16. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,603 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    Quality > Quantity is true....however, why not have both.

Why not have a quantity of quality?
  17. The Realist

The Realist Active Member

3,284 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Kyle Long is starting at LG now.

Announcers during last game stated how the OL has been greatly improved with him there.
  18. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

4,866 Messages
    195 Likes Received
    because no matter how much fun mocks are, hitting on that many picks late in round 1 and late in round 2 isn't likely.

The patriots have a ton of picks every year and miss on a ton of those as well. No one notices because they have a good enough team that they can afford quantity over quality, but even with them, it caught up to them.
  19. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,929 Messages
    538 Likes Received
    Pretty much this. That would be 7 picks in the first 4 rounds. Realistically even if Jerry and crew have a good day we are going to miss on 3 out of those 7 picks. Thats just life. Now that means youre left with 4 guys that you basically traded down for. So the moral of the story is, aside from a few special circumstances, you should just stay where you are and take the top talent available.
  20. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,716 Messages
    330 Likes Received
    I like the idea of moving down and accumulating an extra pick of two in this draft, it seems to be light on premier players and deep on solid potential NFL'ers.