1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Filling bigger needs if we take Peterson

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by GloryDaysRBack, Mar 2, 2011.

1. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,332 Messages
    745 Likes Received
    Here is my biggest gripe with taking Peterson. I think it is safe to say safety and OL, specifically RG and RT are our biggest needs. If we select Patrick Peterson and it requires us to move up to get him. Is it realistic to think we can find 2 new safeties (remember sensy is gone as of now) and 2 new starters on the offensive line?

A lot of people will chime in complaining about CB being a need. However, I am perfectly fine going into next year with Tnew, Jenkins, and Scandy. Obviously, we have free agency, but realistically how many starters can we find there? 2? That leaves 2 more holes with a 2nd rd pick and 4-7 roughly..let's just say it costs a 1 and 3 to get Peterson..that means we are relying on a 4th rounder to start somewhere and that's best case scenario.

What type of plan do you guys have in mind to fill all these holes?

Let's also assume Peterson stays at CB. While he did say he would move to safety if asked, he also said not one team has brought it up to him.
  2. TheDallasDon

TheDallasDon AegonTheConqueror-Now bend the knee

2,489 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    Yea but Patrick Peterson has tigers blood and he's winning!!!!!! Brah
  3. dogberry

dogberry Well-Known Member

2,416 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    If we construct a team to beat the Packers, won't we will need at least 4 corners to cover 5 wide receivers? Cornerback is the group that we have shown the most interest in according to SDOGOs posting.
  4. AKATheRake

AKATheRake Well-Known Member

3,897 Messages
    253 Likes Received
    I'm pretty sure we cen get an o and d-lineman each in our first 2 rounds and a safety like Deunta Williams.

We can than get a tackle or guard depending on what we got in the draft through FA.

Jerry has not re-done as many deals as we're used to seeing and FA is going to be something we use on 2 real good players.

I think this team may see AOA is going to be a player and if they're wrong they at least still have Ball around as a good 4th/nickel corner and to play safety in a pinch.

We obviously like 1 of the FA safeties available. Atogwe, Huff, Landry, maybe even Elam. Who know's but this team let a starter go at defensive end and safety because they believe there are contingencies through the draft and FA. Also that the depth is not much of a drop off from the former starter in case that's the direction they are forced to go.

I think they are leaving enough room personnel wise to leave Rob Ryan enough room to find players to fit his scheme, his guys. This is a good thing. He's got a solid defensive draft and FA to do this.

There are OL in FA and good secondary help also.

We get Peterson, we move Newman to safety. Believe it.
  5. kevinhickey

kevinhickey Member

321 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    I do not want Dallas to move up in this draft. Let the draft come to us. If Peterson is on board when our selection comes up; then choose him. We can move Peterson into the Safety position in the short term. I do not agree with wasting draft selections to get one guy if we have several positions of need.
  6. ghst187

ghst187 Well-Known Member

5,512 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    I think the only way we have much flexibility at all in this draft is to sign or plan to sign 1-2 starters in FA, otherwise we just have too many holes.
    FS, SS, RT, G, possibly G, DL......be nice to add a CB, RB, and LB too
  7. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,475 Messages
    939 Likes Received
    it is silly to think about drafting for need only -- Peterson is a stud. You get a stud CB and he takes half the field away and creates great competition for the remaining 2 regular CB spots.
  8. TheDallasDon

TheDallasDon AegonTheConqueror-Now bend the knee

2,489 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    If he's the true "shutdown" corner he's supposed to be then he'd be worth a trade up cuz he can be 1-1 with his guy and Newman or Jenkins can have a safety over top and that would do wonders for the D
  9. GloryDaysRBack

9,332 Messages
    745 Likes Received
    I agree w this wholeheartedly. However, we aren't just talking about taking the bPa, we are talking about moving up to get the bpa..

I just really don't want to look at next years starting lineup and see Columbo or Davis' name.
  10. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,004 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Peterson will be gone to Denver IF Carolina doesn't take him first. The point is moot.

Fairley is probably the other guy I would take before Tyron Smith and no way he slides to #9. His ability to dominate the line of scrimmage overshadows his questionable work ethic.

So, I think Tyron Smith is our guy at #9.
  11. GloryDaysRBack

9,332 Messages
    745 Likes Received
    Peterson won't go top 4...I'm convinced
  12. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,004 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Thats a bold statement, yet you didn't make one statement supporting it. Explain *why* you are convinced.

I can give you several reasons why I think he will go #2. He is one of the best athletes in the draft, he is the top DB in the draft, Champ Bailey is 34, he ran a 4.34 40 at 219lbs, his overall combine results were excellent, and finally they say he is the best player at his position to come into the draft since Champ Bailey.
  13. GloryDaysRBack

9,332 Messages
    745 Likes Received
    CBs don't go top 4, not historically
    CB isn't a premium position

Only 1 team I the top 4 is likely to take him and it's Den

Den needs Dline help much more than DBs

DTs > CBs..both Dareus and Fairley IMO will still be avail at 2.

I could keep going
  14. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,786 Messages
    2,521 Likes Received
    Face it, he's mine.

BTW, in case anyone is wondering, I sent an e-mail to someone highly placed at Valley Ranch and said we all want him and trade whatever it takes to go get him.

You're welcome. :p:
  15. GloryDaysRBack

9,332 Messages
    745 Likes Received
    Did you really? Lol
  16. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

6,758 Messages
    527 Likes Received
    Peterson Pimp Mode in 6th gear!

:bow:
  17. Hostile

118,786 Messages
    2,521 Likes Received
    I sent an e-mail, but it didn't exactly say that.

;)
  18. Hostile

118,786 Messages
    2,521 Likes Received
    Foot off the brakes, stomp on the gas, this pimp's ready to stop the pass.
  19. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

6,758 Messages
    527 Likes Received
    IF he gets by Den at 2, I believe he makes it to 6-7 and opens up trade possibilities.

I think Den takes Fairley/Dareus/Bowers before Peterson. (maybe that is just my wishful thinking!)
  20. GloryDaysRBack

9,332 Messages
    745 Likes Received
    My exact thoughts..and I don't see Denver taking him