1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Finnegan Brings Fiery Attitude

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by GOLDENCHILD1688, Feb 8, 2012.

1. GOLDENCHILD1688

GOLDENCHILD1688 Well-Known Member

4,524 Messages
    77 Likes Received
    Free Agent Watch
    FA Watch: Finnegan Brings Fiery Attitude
    [IMG]Nick Eatman
    DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer
    Email

Email
    Print
    [IMG]Facebook
    [IMG]ShareThis

(Editor's Note: With the NFL free agency period beginning next month, the Cowboys have some work to do. In this series, DallasCowboys.com takes a look at a number of the veterans who could wind up in Dallas. Today's featured player is Tennessee Titans cornerback Cortland Finnegan.) Name: Cortland Finnegan
    Position: Cornerback
    College: Samford
    Height/Weight: 5-10/188
    NFL Experience: 6 seasons
    Availability: He's one of the more experienced cornerbacks on the free-agent market this year. Finnegan does have some Pro Bowl experience, being selected in 2008 as well as receiving a first-team All-Pro nod that season. Here recently, Finnegan has been quoted as being "discouraged" that a deal with the Titans hadn't been reached. It sounds like he's preparing himself to play for another team in 2012, but seems like he'd be willing to stick around in Tennessee for the right price. Don't forget Finnegan walked out of training camp last year, admittedly because he was seeking a new deal. He later apologized for the move, but he followed it up with a less-than-stellar season and that might be the reason the Titans are willing to part ways.

What He Brings
    : There are a few intangibles Finnegan would bring to the table, most notably an attitude and scrappiness that is evident in his play. Finnegan had a memorable bout with Houston Texans wide receiver Andre Johnson, where helmets were flying off and punches were thrown and landed on both sides. Finnegan has been dubbed a dirty player by several opposing receivers, but it's a distinction that Finnegan doesn't hide from; he actually relishes it. He's got ideal size, extreme toughness and playmaking ability – 14 career interceptions. This past year, Finnegan had 95 tackles, one interception and 12 pass deflections.

Connections
    : Finnegan has no real connections to the Cowboys. But playing six years with the Titans, he has faced several of the Cowboys' assistant coaches, Rob Ryan, Matt Eberflus, Joe DeCamillis and Jerome Henderson, who have coached on AFC squads.

Where Would He Fit
    : The Cowboys will likely have a need for cornerbacks, considering Terence Newman's time with the club seems to be coming to the end. Also, Alan Ball is a free agent and might not return as well. For what it would cost to land him, probably in the neighborhood of $7-9 million per season, Finnegan would likely be pegged as the No. 1 corner for the Cowboys. He earned about $3.9 million last season with the Titans and will be looking for a considerable raise. However, the Cowboys have to be careful because Mike Jenkins is also entering the final year of his contract. Orlando Scandrick just signed a new deal (5 years, $27 million) but is expected to remain as the third cornerback if the Cowboys sign a free agent or draft a corner in the first round. Whatever the free-agent cornerback makes, it might make it tougher to re-sign Jenkins after next season or possibly even in the middle of this year. But more than anything, a guy like Finnegan would help right away because he brings an attitude to the team, combined with the ability to cover and tackle.
  2. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,652 Messages
    1,399 Likes Received
    No, thanks.
  3. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,423 Messages
    333 Likes Received
    he brings attitude but he will also want a 9 million per year plus contract. The Titans offered him a 8 per year contract hat he urned down. The guy is a true zone CB. No thanks.
  4. GOLDENCHILD1688

GOLDENCHILD1688 Well-Known Member

4,524 Messages
    77 Likes Received
    To me hes one of those guys you hate playing against but love playing with. I love his intenssity and toughness. For the right price, probably no more then 7 per I would welcome him with open arms

If were gonna end up having to pay big money I rather Carr though
  5. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I'm wondering if we pick up a 2nd tier CB, like a W Gay or T Porter for example in FA, and then use our 1st or 2nd rounder on another CB.

Basically, M Jenkins would be our top CB, and then we'd have Scandrick, the FA pick up, and (hopefully) quality draft pick to give us 4 decent CBs.

If we go that direction in FA at CB, we can try to spend more money on a getting another quality DL or LB who can rush the passer via FA instead.
  6. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,269 Messages
    7,035 Likes Received
    They offered him $8M? I didn't see that anyplace. He was playing on a pretty reasonable contract before then.

He's a pretty good CB all-in-all, and I like his chippiness. He's a great guy off the field, by most reports, too. Just has a mean streak. Needs to work on bump-and-run, and could be faster, but he's a pretty good player right now.
  7. dantheman41

dantheman41 Active Member

720 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    I would actually take him in a heartbeat. Aggressive. And physical. And he can tackle, which would be a nice change. He would bring a toughness to this defense, that it desperately needs
  8. Vertigo_17

Vertigo_17 Well-Known Member

2,260 Messages
    37 Likes Received
  9. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,114 Messages
    1,345 Likes Received
    How many more years at his current talent level? Maybe, three?
  10. Prossman

Prossman Active Member

946 Messages
    47 Likes Received
    thats what "Out clauses" in the contract are for! :pc: prossman
  11. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,114 Messages
    1,345 Likes Received
    True, but I'm looking forward to putting decorations on the icing of the cake next season...and not to another series of season pressed waivers. I don't like a near Washington, and now, Philadelphia rear view mirror.
  12. JoeCorrado

JoeCorrado Active Member

1,972 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    /\ this /\
  13. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,709 Messages
    620 Likes Received
    Finnegan is 28. Not that old for a FA. And for those questioning his speed/athleticism, he ran a 4.33 at his pro day and had a vert of 44". A former safety, the guy loves to hit.

http://www.titansonline.com/team/roster/Cortland-Finnegan/9663967a-740f-45df-8ac0-313b3dfddb6b

14. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,114 Messages
    1,345 Likes Received
    Myself, I love his prospect being added...period. I agree with you here. I was just presenting some of the considerations going on right now, in my mind, as to team concept in direction. Newman, and probably Ball and Walker should be gone. That is some major team direction, that will at some point include another and upgrade contract for Mike Jenkins as well. Like Jenkins, Finnegan has been to the Pro Bowl and was also All Pro one season. At an age of 31-32, questions do reenter although...
  15. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    He might have landed one punch but Andre Johnson whooped his *** :laugh1:
  16. SaltwaterServr

SaltwaterServr Blank Paper Offends Me

8,124 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'd a bit torn on him, but leaning towards embracing him if he comes to the team. I bet he'd LOVE to tee off on a QB in a CB blitz.