1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

First iPad mini using Samsung display

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Kangaroo, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  2. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,760 Messages
    1,195 Likes Received
    I will never understand an iPad mini.

To my knowledge, an iPad is a big iPod. So wouldn't a mini iPad just be an iPod?

How many freaking sizes of the same product does apple need to sell :banghead:
  3. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Change the color or make it in a different size and the sheepeople will buy it
  4. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,716 Messages
    432 Likes Received
    Thats kind of what Apple thought until this 7" market popped up. They didn't want to make a 7" tablet for a long time. The profit margin is too thin. But there's so much demand for them that they would be stupid not to make a 7" tablet.
  5. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Active Member

4,541 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I have a feeling regular sized iPods will be the first product to disappear.

The iPad mini is a great product. It's not worth $329 though. Slap a retina display on it and maybe it is.
  6. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Asustek is pumping out 1 million Nexus 7's a month. Amazon is pumping out a ton of Kindle Fires too. That is why Apple changed it's mind about the 7" tablet.

I've got to say, I love the size of the N7. The full size tablets are a bit bulky for my taste. I can put the Nexus 7 in my front pocket if I'm in a pinch. No way I could do that with a full size tablet.
  7. Sam I Am

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Yeah, the smartphone is going to do away with iPods and other music players. At some point all phones will be smartphones. (well, there will always be at least one plain jane beeper like dumbphone)
  8. Meat-O-Rama

Meat-O-Rama Vegetarians are so stupid.

2,222 Messages
    25 Likes Received
    Watch the video here it's hilarious.

Sorry Don't know how to embed no you tube videos...
  9. Sam I Am

30,998 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    lol

btw, that isn't a Youtube video, so it wouldn't have embedded anyhow.
  10. Meat-O-Rama

Meat-O-Rama Vegetarians are so stupid.

2,222 Messages
    25 Likes Received
    That's the point I was trying to make. It was supposed to say 'non you tube' not 'no you tube'. Funny how the omission of a single letter turns it from something that makes sense into something that sounds like jive...
  11. theogt

43,716 Messages
    432 Likes Received
    :laugh1:
  12. theogt

43,716 Messages
    432 Likes Received
    Here's a comparison of the display against the iPhone 5. The "OMG it's not retina!" reaction seems to have been overblown.

[IMG]
  13. Rogah

Rogah Well-Known Member

3,644 Messages
    67 Likes Received
    I don't understand it either simply because it is more money for a much inferior product. In 6 months from now, when they release the iPad Mini 2 with retina display, that may be a whole 'nother story. But for now, the iPad Mini is a joke.
  14. Rogah

Rogah Well-Known Member

3,644 Messages
    67 Likes Received
    You cannot honestly be expecting a serious evaluation of screen quality from a picture??

The screen quality is a major step backwards for Applesoft. If you're comfortable paying $329 (or more) for yesterday's technology just because it has an Applesoft logo on back, then more power to ya.
  15. SaltwaterServr

SaltwaterServr Blank Paper Offends Me

8,124 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That picture might be from a smartphone and I have it on good authority that it's very similar in quality to a DSLR. :rolleyes:
  16. theogt

43,716 Messages
    432 Likes Received
    Yes, of course. Just about any modern camera can take pictures with a higher resolution than the screen of an iPad mini. Thus a comparison should be pretty useful.
  17. theogt

43,716 Messages
    432 Likes Received
    Given the resolution of that particular image, it doesn't really matter whether it was taken from a phone or a DSLR.
  18. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Active Member

4,541 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I don't think a single person has gone, "OMG it's not retina!" and it's also not overblown. For another $170 you can buy a regular iPad with retina and brand new technology.

Also, you can't look at the picture and really evaluate the difference in quality. Plus, you don't really need to...the numbers speak for themselves.
  19. Rogah

Rogah Well-Known Member

3,644 Messages
    67 Likes Received
    iPhone 5 resolution: 1,136 by 640 (326 pixels per inch)
    iPad 3 resolution: 2,048 by 1,536 (264 pixels per inch)
    Kindle Fire: 1,280 by 800 (216 pixels per inch)
    iPad Mini resolution: 1,024 by 768 (163 pixels per inch)

You are making a complete and total fool of yourself if you are going to claim that the iPad mini's resolution is even remotely comparable to either of the two other products.

It's hilarious how when retina display first came out, all the Applesoft apologists talked about how great and how wonderful retina display was. And now that there's a new product that doesn't have the retina display, those same apologists are talking about how retina display is really not that big of a deal at all. :lmao: :lmao2:
  20. theogt

43,716 Messages
    432 Likes Received
    Sure they have. And the reason it's overblown is that the difference between retina and the iPad mini resolution is barely discernible at a normal viewing distance (see below comparison at an abnormally close viewing distance).

Sure you can.

Yeah, not even "remotely comparable". Might as well be 8-bit, amirite?

iPad mini vs. iPad 3

[IMG]

[IMG]