1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

First Lady's: Fair game or not?

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by lewpac, May 1, 2009.

1. lewpac

lewpac Benched

1,465 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Over at the Michelle Bachman thread, it seems that a comment or two I made about Michelle Obama irritated one of her uber-left followers. Any untoward opinion mentioned toward the First Lady is considered "slimy" and below the belt, shouldn't be done.

What do you think? I'll make my case, but I'd like some feedback on this.

IMO, if you agree, as the spouse of any candidate, to participate publically and alongside your spouse in his efforts toward election, then your words and opinions are open game. No matter who you are, especially the spouse (in most cases the wife), you don't get to "go off" in front of every microphone and in front of thousands and thousands for months and months, but then your "untouchable" and it's "below the belt" behavior to respond or react to such a presentation.

Democrat Presidential Candidates, far more so than Republicans, tend to present their marriages as "power teams" (Clintons, Obama's, Kerry's, Gore's). The old "you get two for the price of one" routine. The Clintons of course were the "poster boys" for this phenomena. And the Obama's followed suit...................It's clear that the camp thought it advantages to Barak to parade Michelle along side him at every turn, and that her words and persona "on stage" would go a long way toward his fortunes for office.

Republican Presidential Candidates tend to take a more traditional approach with regard to the spouse. She's just "the good wife" (or husband in Palin's case), standing by her man. Which, of course, in liberals eyes makes her a dufus and weak.

But some feel that, while the spouse is there almost as a "co-candidate", that she somehow is immune and "teflon" when it comes to any negative response or retort to her presentation. I disagree. I believe that, if you want a "hands off" policy toward the spouse, then don't allow her to help you get elected. Don't allow her to speak at the uber-rally's and conventions and campaign stops.

Also, don't think for a second that if McCain/Palin would've won the election, that his "standard" would be applicable. In fact, I don't recall Palin's old man saying anything of substance during the campaign............and they were going after him like a shark goes to blood in the water. If they were in office now, he'd be under indictment for something or other by now. And McCain's got the business over her money and property too..............

Nah, sorry, but I'm stickin' to my story unless otherwise convinced. Michelle Obama is every bit the "open game" as her husband, because she was "front and center" with him both in appearance and voice, trying to win the office. They propped her up abundantly for the good, so she's subject to "the game" IMO......................
  2. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,852 Messages
    877 Likes Received
    It's a free country, you can talk about whomever you want.

However this republican "good wife" in the background stuff is nonense.

'Less we forget, Our First Lady of Drifting on ESPN?

[youtube]tAXhBngJQak[/youtube]

She campaigned for her husband just like Michelle campaign for hers. If the question is whether first ladies should be fair game, then ask that question, don't sleaze it up with all the other rhetoric.
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,754 Messages
    2,054 Likes Received
    I really think it depends on how active a 1st Lady is on policy. Hilary headed up the Healthcare debate in the Clinton White house and played a very active role thus she was fair game. Michelle Obama on the other hand has certain projects like most 1st Lady but is not shaping or forming policy. I will say she still has to be careful of the statements she makes. All in all I have no issue with her.
  4. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,491 Messages
    1,481 Likes Received
    I believe that Michelle Obama inserts herself into the fray because of the positions she takes. If she steers clear of these kinds of things, then no, I'd say she is off limits. However, since she does not do this, I think she is fair game.
  5. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,324 Messages
    4,292 Likes Received
    I think that's a pretty fair perspective.

If she's out stomping for her husband on legislative matters and whatnot, then yep, I think what she says is fair game, similar to when she was on the campaign trail. As a public figure, in general, anything she says is fair game.

So far, coverage of her has been limited to the WH garden, the kiddos, the dog, her clothes, and a few of her pet projects.

Of course, this is all part of the plan..to reshape her image after her initial introduction to the big stage. I can't imagine what folks can pick over now, but if one tries, I'm sure something can be found.

I haven't seen her enter the fray, as you say, since before the election. Maybe I've missed the coverage.
  6. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    As much as I hated W...I never went after Laura.

I agree about if she was like Hillary and leading the cause on something like policy changes or whatever...then OK.

But Laura didn't do this...and so far Michelle hasn't either.
  7. lewpac

lewpac Benched

1,465 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    "Sleaze it up????""

I assume you're alluding to my differentiating between Democrat and Republican first lady's??

Eleanor Roosevelt. Bea Truman. Jackie Kennedy. Hillary Clinton. Michelle Obama. That's FIVE of the last SIX (excluding Carters wife) Democrat "First Lady's" who were/are ALL LAUDED as "power women", smart, useful, dynamic, important, strong, substantial, participatory, and "needed" for this country in one way, shape form or another.

Name for me ONE Republican First Lady (besides perhaps Mamie Eisenhower) who was considered nothing more than a ditzy, brain dead and useless "stand by your man" and "unmodern" woman! I can't recall any magazine cover with Laura Bush on it. On the other hand, you can't walk through any check-out line in America without 20 magazine covers lauding and celebrating Michelle Obama!

C'mon man....................any reasonable and unbiased arbitor has to concede this point. Democrat First Lady's are ALWAYS propped up and in higher standing amongst the decades-old liberal media establishment. If you dare say ANYTHING less than "glowing" about Michelle Obama, you get what I got on that other thread...............you get called "slime" and "sleazy".
  8. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,491 Messages
    1,481 Likes Received
    Does that mean that because she has not said something since before the election, she is absolved of the positions she took?

Not in my book she's not. I mean, if you look at it objectively, what has she had to really make statement about? Thus far, this Administration has gotten everything they've wanted.
  9. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,074 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    **** Michelle Obama
  10. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    So we'll put you down for she's not fair game?
  11. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,273 Messages
    65 Likes Received
    Nancy Reagan.

The only thing I can't stand about Michelle Obama, is that they make her out to be some icon of style. I really don't care about what clothes she is wearing.
  12. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,074 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    she does look like a WNBA baller doesn't she? tall, skinny, manly
  13. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,273 Messages
    65 Likes Received
    She is not particularly attractive.
  14. WoodysGirl

65,324 Messages
    4,292 Likes Received
    Not suggesting that, at all.

I was assuming that the OP was inferring to her status as First Lady which is why I focused on current events and if she's done something recent to warrant bashing.
  15. lewpac

lewpac Benched

1,465 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That's because Laura never gave anyone anything to "go after". But she was/is an educated woman, successful in her career, and by all accounts a wonderful wife and mother to her children.

So far, "in office", Michelle Obama appears to be similar. And I'm sure she too is a wonderful wife and mother to her children. She seems to be a respectful and caring daughter as well.

But, Laura Bush and Barbara Bush came NO WHERE NEAR the activity of Michelle and Hillary on the campaign trail! Not even close! Michelle Obama was more of a running mate to Barack than Joe Biden would ever be. Her participation and involvement in getting Obama elected was deliberate, calculated, planned and staged in a way to take advantage of what SHE brought to the table. The unspoken "elect Barack AND Michelle" was a big part of the campaign. "Elect John McCain (and Cindy too)" was never on the radar screen in comparison.
  16. ConcordCowboy

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    So you want to **** her but think she looks like a man?

Interesting.
  17. WoodysGirl

65,324 Messages
    4,292 Likes Received
    That's traditionally what the media focuses on when it comes to first ladies.

That or some other soft perspective.

It's up to the ladies to direct them towards something more substantive.
  18. lewpac

lewpac Benched

1,465 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    THAT is why these discussion go into the crapper!

Everyone knows my political bent and I'm the OP! But even I won't go down that road. Don't behave like THEY behave please...................
  19. WoodysGirl

65,324 Messages
    4,292 Likes Received
    No, she's not the greatest beauty, but I think she has a great body...
  20. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,379 Messages
    3,636 Likes Received
    Her last name is Obama...that is enough for some.