1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

First Mock of 2012 + Offseason Plan

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by casmith07, Jan 2, 2012.

1. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,066 Messages
    2,487 Likes Received
    Alright, after talking with some folks I respect around here, including SDogo, and doing a little research (and homering out in Round 2), I present to you, my offseason plan and mock draft!

We will begin with...free agency. Players in blue are re-signed.

Unrestricted free agents
    Alan Ball
    Martellus Bennett
    Keith Brooking - retirement
    Derrick Dockery - possible retirement, possible re-signing for veteran depth
    Abram Elam
    Montrae Holland
    Jon Kitna - retirement
    Daniel Loper
    Mat McBriar - this one is interesting...Chris Jones might be given a legitimate opportunity in camp next summer.
    Sammy Morris
    Laurent Robinson
    Anthony Spencer
    - I would move him to DE
    Frank Walker
    Bradie James - 1 year deal, veteran depth

Restricted free agents
    Kevin Ogletree
    Tony Fiammetta
    Chauncey Washington
    - practice squad

Exclusive rights free agents
    Clifton Geathers
    Jermey Parnell - depth, project
    Jesse Holley - he just keeps sticking around, and is a pretty good special teams player

I'm also going out on a limb and saying that Kyle Kosier will retire in light of his injury, and Newman will either be waived or will retire.

Free Agents From Other Teams
    Cortland Finnegan, CB, Tennessee Titans -- Finnegan comes in and provides an immediate toughness to the CB position. He is able to jam virtually anyone at the line and is not afraid to hit you in the mouth. As long as we aren't playing the Houston Texans, we shouldn't have to worry about any 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalties. It is also said that Finnegan is a great community guy and an all around nice guy off the field.

Calais Campbell, DE, Arizona Cardinals -- Arizona likely won't be able to re-sign him, and we are hurting big time for a defensive end that can actually get to the Quarterback. Coupled with trying out Spencer on a 1-year deal as a DE re-conversion project, Campbell can come in and immediately give opposing quarterbacks and offensive coordinators fits as they figure out how to attempt to block/hold DeMarcus Ware and Campbell.

Carl Nicks, OG, New Orleans Saints -- here's another guy that his team would like to keep him, but might not be able to afford him. At a worst case scenario, bringing in Carl Nicks helps to sure up at least one guard spot left vacant by Kosier, and leaves us to only worry about one other spot between Guard and Center...I think we should be prepared to go into the next season with either Kowalski/Costa at Center again, and Holland at Guard.

The Draft - note, the draft picks are listed with thoughts of the free agency signings in mind, but are not hand-in-hand.

1. David DeCastro, OG, Stanford - probably the most NFL ready lineman in the draft, though similar things were stated about Gabe Carimi. DeCastro helps to round out an offensive line in transition and provides another beast along the offensive line in the vein of Tyron Smith (though I am salivating to see Smith next year with more time under his belt).

2. Jayron Hosley, CB, Virginia Tech - likely a 2nd round prospect, Jayron Hosley won't knock your teeth out hitting due to his size, but he's fearless in flinging his body around and is the definition of a "ball hawk" that the fans are clamoring for even if I hate buzzwords. Hosley can come in and immediately start opposite of Jenkins, or can play the slot while Finnegan mans the starting spot (if Finnegan were not signed). Hosley is the kind of CB that plays the ball, not the man, and is very good in zone coverage. Lets just hope Dave Campo isn't around to turn him into a pedestrian. This is the "casmith07's Bona Fide Homer Pick Of The Year!" pick of the draft.

3. Brandon Boykin, CB, Georgia - projecting as a 3rd rounder, but in the bowl game today playing like a Top 10 talent, Brandon Boykin can provie immediate depth vacated by Alan Ball and possibly Orlando Scandrick on the roster (Scandrick can be cut this year despite his new contract, saving us $5.3M against the cap). Not only does he cover well, and play the ball, but he tackles very well and also returns kicks and punts with gamebreaking ability, something that we desperately need. With this pick, we've found three starting-quality players at CB in free agency and the first three rounds of the draft, and have given ourselves insurance against Mike Jenkins possibly testing free agency.

4. Tyler Eifert, TE, Notre Dame - the class of tight ends this year is weak, but we need one with Martellus Bennett almost assuredly signing somewhere else this off-season. Eifert has done well for Notre Dame and is tall and athletic. He'll need some work as a blocker, but he has a little Gronk in him as far as his athleticism and route running. A big tall target that could turn into a nice replacement for Witten as a pass catcher down the line. He also won't be concerned with making rap videos and twitter wars.

5. Brandon Lindsay, DE/OLB, Pittsburgh - with the possibility of moving Spencer to DE, or even re-signing him to maintain as an OLB, we still need to look to add someone to play whichever position is still a gap. Hoping for a player like Lindsay to slide to the 5th round is wishful thinking, but ends tend to go undervalued in the draft by teams.

6. Chandler Harnish, QB, Northern Illinois - we need to start looking for a replacement for Romo. Bigger needs in the upper rounds have us drafting other positions, but from this year forward I believe we should draft at least 1 Quarterback every year. Harnish churn's Kitna's spot and starts as the #3, but could easily be elevated to #2 next year if we find someone we like better than McGee.

7. Jonathan Bostic, ILB, Florida - we'll need some depth, bringing back Bradie James as a kind of player-coach for veteran depth. Florida is known for great team speed on defense, and Bostic is no different, projecting to run the 40-yard dash in the 4.60-4.63 range.

:star: :star: :star:

Have at it, tear it up, I don't care!
  2. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,288 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    Unless you plan on Spencer adding about 35 pounds....or changing your defense....I don't think he's an option as a 3-4 end.
  3. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    That's a lot of Green Back being tossed around in FA and I hear the Cardinals are prepared to slap Campbell with the "tag". While I would love to have him I don't think it's a realistic possibility for more reason then 1.

We have to land Nicks or Grubbs..........no question about it and when we do, it does not change the fact that DeCastro should be priority #1.

Unlike Many, I have no issues with bringing Finnegan in although if we do I don't see a CB being taken back to back so early in the draft. Notice I did not say I don't see two CB's picked because I think that's the route Dallas will take.

I'll take your word on Hosley, I admit, I'm not real schooled on him. As far as Boykin, he is becoming one of my favorite prospects quick and I don't see any way he makes it to Round 3 at this point.

TE in Round 4 or 5 is very likely, just unfortunate this years class is "blah" at best.

Really like the Lindsay pick in 5.

Harnish is a interesting prospect, the opinions on him are all over the place right now. I really wish we could Cousins but I get the feeling he may be this years Christian Ponder.
  4. BruceLee5450

BruceLee5450 Well-Known Member

2,107 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    Yup that's what my plan would be as well.. You would have a solidified o-line for years to come with Smith-Free-Decastro-Nicks & would only need to focus on getting a solid Center.. Would be very nice if this fell into place, even though if we were to get Nicks I would rather go defense in the 1st round so that would take Decastro out of the picture for me
  5. casmith07

27,066 Messages
    2,487 Likes Received
    Assuming we don't keep Newman and Scandrick, we'll save $14M approximate on the cap, taking us to nearly $30M in cap space for next year, not counting the other cuts/free agents that won't be back. But yeah those three guys will be a ton of money.

Hosley's going to be a good one. His vertical leap is ridiculous too - many of his INTs in his career at Tech were of the "climb the ladder" variety, out jumping guys that had 3-6 inches on him in height, too.
  6. Leadbelly

Leadbelly Active Member

501 Messages
    166 Likes Received
    Assume we don't keep Scandrick? We signed him to a six year deal a little over 4 months ago. LOLZ.

He's starting next year and likely for a while.

If we sign a FA CB, brace yourself for a guy more in the Richard Marshall class. Ball's return is probably dependent on whether we draft 1 or 2 CBs.

** Also, love Jayron Hosley too.

Actually, our big CB contract this offseason will probably be resigning Mike Jenkins long term.
  7. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,643 Messages
    2,435 Likes Received
    Hey Cas... No way can Spencer play as a 3-4 DE.

I don't see the Cowboys spending that kind of coin in FA for several reasons.
  8. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,453 Messages
    138 Likes Received
    Boykin is going to go in the 2nd. He is going to run a good 40 as well as having a nice body of work as both a DB and Return man.

I like the idea of taking 2 CB's early though.
  9. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

6,430 Messages
    400 Likes Received
    I think we will land two big signings imo.

If Grubbs and Nicks hit the open market, we have to go all out and grab one.
  10. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,139 Messages
    1,123 Likes Received
    Only Robinson, Fiametta and Parnell should be re signed. Everybody else can go lower the talent level of somebody elses team. DeCastro wont be there at 14 but Kosiers injury makes him a must.
  11. casmith07

27,066 Messages
    2,487 Likes Received
    Adam says that if we cut him, we save $5.3M in real money this year. Just a thought.
  12. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,008 Messages
    150 Likes Received
    Quoting AdamJT13
    I definitely do no think he is worth $7.1 million for one season. Hopefully, someone in the organization thinks like me. You can replace his production and most likely exceed his production with the $5.3 million we would save.
  13. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    That some eye opening information on Scandrick as well as some eye opening numbers. Raises some serious questions IMO.
  14. windward

windward NFL Historian

14,807 Messages
    220 Likes Received
    Nice set up. I'd take that offseason.
  15. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,008 Messages
    150 Likes Received
    VERY questionable. I see why so many think we will never get anywhere with Jerry Jones making decisions.
  16. kevinhickey

kevinhickey Member

320 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    Scandrick was resigned.
  17. The Natural

The Natural Well-Known Member

4,501 Messages
    1,278 Likes Received
    Calais Campbell probably wont be an option, but sign me up for Finnegan..He'd bring some much needed toughness to this defense
  18. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,393 Messages
    2,113 Likes Received
    I like the FA's if they are available.

I'd let Ogletree go.

I just don't think he has the right attitude. He seems like he got complacent after making the team and looked as lost as a street FA signed midweek at times.

He's not going to pass Dez, Miles, Laurent.

At best he's a #4 and he's really not that good at it. For as much as I have **** on Holley, I like his attitude and work ethic. He just does his job. Let Otree go and find some guys who will just do their job.

Oh, and I'm letting Brady go as well.

I don't know if joe is accurate but supposedly Bradie made some comments that I can't accept. If even if joe's mistaken, I don't need to see anymore Bradie.
  19. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,393 Messages
    2,113 Likes Received
    Officially off the Ogletree short bus.

See ya.

Give me Roscoe Parrish or Eddie Royal to fill his spot.

Return threat and Eddie Royal can play.
  20. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

5,748 Messages
    518 Likes Received
    can we afford Campbell? I think we can one spalsh in FA and it should be Campbell,got to improve the line to win consistently in this league.