1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

First round alternatives

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by fortdick, Feb 11, 2012.

1. fortdick

fortdick Well-Known Member

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    Most draft sights and folks posting here have to opinion that DeCastro, Jenkins and Kirkpatrick are the three logical picks for us in round one. Looking at the rankings and the issues I see some alternatives that intrigue me.

First, I think DeCastro will be long gone before we pick. Jenkins and Kirkpatrick are both viable picks, even though they have baggage that makes me shy away.

Two players I am intrigued with are SS Mark Barron and Center Peter Konz. Both are reaches at 14, but there should be teams wanting to move up as coveted players slip. Konz fixes maybe the biggest hole we have in the oline and Barron can fix a hole we have had since Woody left. Both are as close to sure thing solid starters as you can get, although Konz has potential to be an all pro. Barron is a solid character guy that is slipping due to injury.

I believe trading down for either of these two would be very smart if DeCastro is gone.

Another player I am really interested in is FB Joe Halahuni from Oregon. A big back that can catch. Fiametta showed us how important a good FB is to our running game, but his ability to stay healthy has been a question with him. Seeing that he is a FA this year and may walk, Halahuni may be a great late round pick up.
  2. Garland powerplay

Garland powerplay Active Member

1,228 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    This team needs to draft defense . The offense was good enough to make playoffs w/ an avg. defense. This defense was below avg. and offense tanked the final month $ 4 sure
  3. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    So you want to draft a player that just had a double sports hernia, will be out until August and is not a ballhawk? Pass.

You want to draft a center with a severe blood disorder who is one bad spell away from missing serious playing time? Pass.
  4. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,810 Messages
    885 Likes Received
    Jonathan Martin or Kuechly are a couple names for you.
  5. fortdick

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    I don't see a double sports hernia as career threatening. Not like he is having brain surgery!

Although he is ocnsidered the best center in the draft, you would dismiss Konz because of a condition from 2009? I guess two seasons at Div I level isn't a test to see if he is able to play?

Maybe we should rely on guys that take dope for recreational purposes, they are always more dependable.
  6. fortdick

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    I like the Kuechly idea, if for no other reason than to keep him away from the Eagles, but ILB in the first round would be a luxury I am not sure we could afford. Kinda the same with Martin. Both solid picks, but in areas we have other options.

One thing: I am sick of taking CB's in the first that don't play to the hype.
  7. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,123 Messages
    256 Likes Received
    Barron or kOnz are huge reaches at 14
  8. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,049 Messages
    1,903 Likes Received
    If DeCastro of one of the two corners were not there, then I'm trading down.

If I can't trade down I'm taking the highest rated player on my board, whoever it is.
  9. fortdick

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    I acknowledge this, however, I don't think either is a huge reach...just a reach.
  10. overseas

overseas Benched

81 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  11. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I'm warming to the idea
  12. Canadian BoyzFan

Canadian BoyzFan Active Member

3,315 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Brockers, Poe and Konz in a trade down scenario.
  13. Zaxor

Zaxor Virtus Mille Scuta

8,399 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I am not thrilled with the talent in this draft...if I could trade down I would but so many other teams would like to trade down too they aren't stupid...so I would trust my board and hope for the best
  14. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Sports hernias are not serious injuries. The only reason this even seems dramatic is because it will likely keep Barron from participating at the Combine. The pro day at Alabama is still a possibility for him.

I would also say 12 interceptions while at 'Bama would constitute being a "ballhawk." Not to mention, 13 TFL and 5.0 sacks would indicate he's a playmaker.

If he was healthy, I think he'd be a perfect bottom end of the 1st round type of pick. If he can be had in the 2nd round I'd seriously consider.

Barron also has leadership intangibles that are appealing.
  15. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Word.
  16. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,929 Messages
    538 Likes Received
    There's no way DeCastro is "long gone" by the time we pick. No team is going to pay the price tag of a rookie guard that is a top 10 pick. CBA or no CBA. If he goes before us its more than likely going go be right before us to the Cardinals at 13.

Given that scenario that he does go 13 and we don't pick a CB I think we would have to strongly consider Devon Still provided he's still there. I'm not crazy about a 3-4 DE at #14, but he's a consensus top prospect in this draft and he would fit our scheme. I would be all for a trade down if possible though.
  17. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I like Devon Still, but I don't view him as any more talented a prospect than guys like Jared O'drick, Cameron Heyward, or Mohammed Wilkerson. I also think the back end of the 1st round is where he should go too, which is where all those guys went.
  18. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,077 Messages
    1,266 Likes Received
    Just because he is supposedly the best 3-4 DE in the draft does not mean much. I do not see him as any real improvement over what we have now. No way do I use a 1st for someone like that.
  19. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    My preferences (roughly in order) amongst players who may be available:

Coples
    DeCastro
    Jenkins
    Ingram
    Brockers
    Glenn
    Hightower
  20. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,049 Messages
    1,903 Likes Received
    Not a Still fan.

I don't see a guy who's as productive as his athleticism.