1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

First round alternatives

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by fortdick, Feb 11, 2012.

1. fortdick

fortdick Well-Known Member

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    Almost every mock draft I have seen has DeCstro going between 8 and 13. Course, the mocks I have read are from guys that evaluate talent and such for a living. I didn't canvass the opinions here. My bad.
  2. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,507 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    There are a couple of ways to look at this: by talent and ability or by where the player is likely to be drafted.

Interior OL usually go far later than their projection because it is a non-premium position. Safeties and Tight Ends are often treated similarly in that they rarely go in the top 10. Recently there have been a few safeties and TEs go in the top half of the draft but it is still not the norm and many of those picks did not work out well in the end.

DeCastro may be gone but I wouldn't say it is a foregone conclusion that he is off the board when we pick. I also don't think it will be a disaster because I think you can find players almost as good in the second round and you could get an extra second in a trade-down scenario.

I still think that given the strengths of this draft and our needs we are best served in a trade down scenario if we can find a willing trade partner. We are going to find better values for our needs from the late first round to the third round and we should try to get four or five picks in that range to upgrade all the chaff on this roster.
  3. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,087 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    Please provide these mocks that have DeCastro going before pick 12. Im sure if we took the time to look through the 10 most reliable sources for mocks you would find DeCastro's average draft position at or below 14.

Thats just the nature of the position. Guards simply dont go early.
  4. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He might be confusing player ranking with where they're projected to be taken.
  5. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,087 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    I would think so as well. I'll agree that DeCastro is ranked as a top 10 overall prospect in the draft, but the fact that hes limited to playing only OG drops him in the draft. Hell, Pouncey was rated just as high as DeCastro is and he didnt go until pick 15. Plus he had the flexibility of playing guard or center. Id be shocked if DeCastro goes before pick 12. And i think thats even unlikely.
  6. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,869 Messages
    1,471 Likes Received
    DeCastro is going to drop.

There aren't any prospect rankings out now of people who get paid to evaluate talent for NFL teams. What we get are media member rankings.

But Kiper has him 14th or did last Big Board I had access to from January.
    CBSSports has him 11th. He probably ranked in that range. And being a Guard will drop him a few spots for sure. As will many teams feeling Gordy is as is good.

Until we see where Goose has him on the night before the draft we won't really know what scouts think as a group. Most other media guys may have one or two scout buddies but do not have contacts for most teams.
  7. HoosierCowboy

HoosierCowboy Put Pearson in the HOF

2,113 Messages
    44 Likes Received
    I'd get a veteran Center in FA and draft young DL or DB
  8. fortdick

fortdick Well-Known Member

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    :thumbup:
    getting right on that
  9. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Looooool.

I see now after asking "what sites have DeCastro rated that high" and having it blow up in your face, you've now moved the goalposts again to only value rankings from "people who get paid to evaluate talent for NFL teams."
  10. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,087 Messages
    663 Likes Received

You got the wrong guy...he was just agreeing.
  11. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    No, trust me, I got the right guy. No reflection on you.
  12. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,869 Messages
    1,471 Likes Received
    It's easy for him to go schizoid when he claims a guy is a top of the draft prospect but then swears he will last past 12.

It's ok, it is what is called a fixation. As is his every response to me since he knows full well he is on ignore. I wouldn't see any of his posts if it werent from others quotes.
  13. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Lol, it's easy to feel justified when you simply make up stories and false claims to warp reality. I never said, claimed or insinuated anything you just asserted.

[IMG]
  14. fanfromvirginia

fanfromvirginia Inconceivable!

4,014 Messages
    164 Likes Received
    Links please. I have seen some, but very few drafts with DeCastro going above us.

I could definitely see either Arizona grabbing him or someone jumping up to 12 to get him before the Cardinals. But 'long gone' is a bit of a stretch.

On edit: I see others have jumped on this before me.
  15. fanfromvirginia

4,014 Messages
    164 Likes Received
    The possibility that DeCastro will be gone is still pretty intriguing (and personally frustrating). It is in fact a very real possibility that he will be taken at 12 or 13. Ironically, the less we do about OG in FA, the greater the chances he will be gone as it would signal to anyone with their eyes on DeCastro that if they want him, they damn sure better grab him before 14.

So, in theory, giving OG a pass in FA because the front office is in love with DeCastro could backfire.
  16. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    The Chiefs are rumored to like him as much as the Cards .
  17. fanfromvirginia

4,014 Messages
    164 Likes Received

Then I suppose 10 would be the highest I would ever expect DeCastro to go. If someone really coveted him and thought KC would take him. Who knows, though, maybe the whole league will catch DeCastro fever and everybody will be beating down everybody else's door for a shot at the guy.

DeCastro Fever: Catch It.