1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Flappy Bird

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by TheCowboy, Feb 10, 2014.

1. TheCowboy

TheCowboy The Teen

2,564 Messages
    590 Likes Received
    Anyone play it? It's was the number one game in the phone industry until the creator yanked it from the market last night. Apparently he was getting death threats and lawsuits from the Mario and Luigi creators because the pipes looked too similar.

Interesting..
  2. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,291 Messages
    4,609 Likes Received
    I seen where he was going to pull the game and said he could not deal with the pressure. Did not hear about the Mario stuff as there are many games on Google play that are blatant rip off that are still on there.... Like leps world that is Mario brothers but with a leprechaun and shamrocks... Even made a sequel to it.
  3. MonsterD

MonsterD Quota outta absentia

3,685 Messages
    317 Likes Received
    A shame indie game development should always be encouraged even if they do step on some creative ideas. That said that game is both ridiculous and stupid, lol. BTW the dude was making 50K a day off that game.
  4. TheCowboy

TheCowboy The Teen

2,564 Messages
    590 Likes Received
    People are selling their phones with "flappy bird downloaded" as one of the main features lol now that is funny
  5. MonsterD

3,685 Messages
    317 Likes Received
    From what I understand Candy Crush Saga is a blatant rip-off of BeJewled. I don't play either, but really it is not a big deal to have a cosmetic similarity like pipes.
  6. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

3,105 Messages
    1,309 Likes Received
  7. MonsterD

3,685 Messages
    317 Likes Received
    Replacement found.

8. StevenOtero

StevenOtero Well-Known Member

6,455 Messages
    419 Likes Received
  9. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,953 Messages
    1,534 Likes Received
    Sounds like a publicity stunt to me. He can bring it back at any time and sell more games or a newer version. Plus I don't see how taking the game away actually gets rid of the pressure. People dumb enough to send him death threats aren't going to be detoured by the game not being available. If anything it may give them more nonsense to complain about.
  10. pupulehaole

pupulehaole Well-Known Member

1,427 Messages
    127 Likes Received
    84 before patch 123 after patch.
  11. Lonestar94

Lonestar94 Well-Known Member

3,523 Messages
    724 Likes Received
    Got to level 26. Don't think I'll be beating that anytime soon.

It's a mental game that's for sure.
  12. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,649 Messages
    5,560 Likes Received
    Never heard of it. Guess I need to get out more often.
    WoodysGirl likes this.
  13. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,291 Messages
    4,609 Likes Received
    Here’s the real reason Flappy Bird was removed

In an exclusive interview with Forbes, Flappy Bird developer Dong Nguyen has revealed the real reason he removed the extremely popular app from the App Store and the Google Play Store. According to Nguyen, the game’s addictiveness is what convinced him to remove it, and the app is not coming back. “Flappy Bird was designed to play in a few minutes when you are relaxed,” the developer said “But it happened to become an addictive product. I think it has become a problem. To solve that problem, it’s best to take down Flappy Bird. It’s gone forever.”

Nguyen, who has other popular games in the iOS store, denied receiving any threats from Nintendo, and said that wasn’t the reason he removed the app, adding that in case any of his games becomes equally addictive as Flappy Bird, he will not hesitate to also pull them from stores.

http://news.yahoo.com/real-reason-flappy-bird-removed-113009222.html
  14. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,227 Messages
    7,055 Likes Received
    Heard this on the radio this morning and still think it's stupid. $50k a DAY! Dude!
  15. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,865 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    Imagine what he will make when he brings it back "for a limited time" .. you know .. out of the goodness of his heart.
    WoodysGirl likes this.
  16. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,227 Messages
    7,055 Likes Received
    After much convincing by his advisors and whatnot... :rolleyes:
  17. Phoenix

Phoenix Well-Known Member

5,489 Messages
    595 Likes Received
    I've only seen a couple of twitter references to this but had no idea what it was.
  18. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,865 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    I had never heard of it until it was plastered all over my news sites. I've still never seen a picture of it.
  19. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,993 Messages
    7,735 Likes Received
    He's responding to a legal threat from a large corporation, and he's afraid to say something publicly that could further 'damage' that corporation. In that context, the $50K/day is incremental to the cost of the copyright infringement lawsuit or the related bad publicity from citing the company that's pressuring him in such a public situation.
  20. CowboyGil

CowboyGil Well-Known Member

1,194 Messages
    344 Likes Received
    Riiiiiiight......