1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Fletcher Cox

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by CATCH17, Apr 5, 2012.

1. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,152 Messages
    1,326 Likes Received
    Just looks pretty solid in this vid

[youtube]knp2RT5Ijsk[/youtube]

controlling the LOS
  2. Rogerthat12

Rogerthat12 DWAREZ

3,283 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    I have absolutely no idea if the Cowboys select FC but I am absolutely sure that this guy is a good player!
  3. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 RAWR

11,958 Messages
    227 Likes Received
  4. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,707 Messages
    418 Likes Received
    ?????
  5. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 RAWR

11,958 Messages
    227 Likes Received

We play a 3-4, dude would be considered a bust around here after 2 seasons with 3 sacks per year (Or less.) He's better off playing for a team that runs the 4-3...
  6. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

14,272 Messages
    255 Likes Received
    Sometimes, technique can be coached up. But going on that one film, Cox seemed to be generally light on engaging directly, and spent most of his effort trying to shed and slide off or around a block. Against a strong interior line of Alabama, they were able to nullify his presence, and run around him. He was part of a general effort to muddle the running lanes, but rarely isolated and on his own.

As stated, that would be more of a Leon Lett type of 4-3 player from this group of film sets.
  7. Canadian BoyzFan

Canadian BoyzFan Active Member

3,315 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Cox/DeCastro....end of story.
  8. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,193 Messages
    601 Likes Received
    My gut feeling is he is our #1 target
  9. dantheman41

dantheman41 Active Member

711 Messages
    116 Likes Received
    We can only hope... Otherwise Philly is taking him. That's not going to b fun going against him twice a year
  10. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 RAWR

11,958 Messages
    227 Likes Received
    Yeah at the pro level he would get pushed out of the play in a 3-4...
  11. theogt

43,707 Messages
    418 Likes Received
    This guy looks to me to be that rare pass rushing 3-4 DE. I'd bet a good deal of money he averages more than 3 sacks per year in the NFL.
  12. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

14,272 Messages
    255 Likes Received
    At this point in discussions, it is not settled if he could in fact hold the point required to function in a 4-3...or be better skilled to shoot gaps as in a 4-3. If he doesn't stand up to the run, then he would be a package player, but coming at the top of the Cowboys' draft.
  13. theogt

43,707 Messages
    418 Likes Received
    What's obvious from that game is he was told to get up field every play. If you watch other games he didn't do that. If you're getting up field you're giving the opponent an opportunity if your teammates can't fill the gap. His teammates couldn't. When he's asked to control the line of scrimmage he does it. When he's asked to get upfield he does it. The guy basically goes wherever he wants because of his unnatural size and speed. It's hard to pass up on a 300 lb lineman who has a burst like a 260 lb 3-4 OLB.
  14. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 RAWR

11,958 Messages
    227 Likes Received
    Maybe we could line him up as an OLB and send him after the QB on passing downs, like we did with Greg Ellis. A situational pass rusher at 14? Hmmm...

I guess that's the price you pay for "Premium" pass rushers...
  15. theogt

43,707 Messages
    418 Likes Received
    Have you watched anything besides this game?
  16. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,496 Messages
    2,006 Likes Received
    Not claiming to be an expert on him, but he's my #1 hope and has been for a while. Very encouraged that we're bringing him in for a visit.
  17. theogt

43,707 Messages
    418 Likes Received
    or you could line him up at 3-4DE in rushing downs and anywhere along the front in passing schemes.
  18. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 RAWR

11,958 Messages
    227 Likes Received
    Well then he will get neutralized more often then not like all the other 3-4 DE's, which are bigger and stronger than he is...

Do we really want to spend a 14rth pick on a guy who Might get 4-6 sacks per year and probably closer to 3-4 sacks per year in a 3-4 scheme?
  19. theogt

43,707 Messages
    418 Likes Received
    In my opinion, this guy isn't "like all the other 3-4 DEs". You disagree. If you can't see it from watching him play, there's nothing I can do to convince you otherwise. Happy Friday.
  20. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,496 Messages
    2,006 Likes Received
    I think people vastly underestimate how many sacks come on nickel downs. On those downs where you know a pass is coming, you can throw the 34/43 stuff out the window -- you're going to put your four or five best rushers out there to rush the QB. No one is two-gapping on 3rd and 9.

That's why 34 DEs like a Watt or Justin Smith are so valuable.