1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Florida State CB Mike Harris

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by TheFinisher, Sep 21, 2011.

1. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,352 Messages
    509 Likes Received
    [IMG]

Get to know him now, he's rising fast on draft boards.

Former #1 ranked JUCO CB, transferred to Florida St prior to the 2010 season.

In terms of name recognition, Harris is probably 3rd among FSU corners. Redshirt sophmore Xavier Rhodes steals a lot of the spot light because of his freakish size, length and potential. Greg Reid has been around since his Freshman year as a good return man for FSU. But it's Mike Harris that has been raising eyebrows this season with his playmaking ability, instincts in coverage and ability to tackle in the open field.

Link to his official bio:http://www.seminoles.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/harris_mike00.html
  2. RFC

RFC New Member

2 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    originally was set to go to Alabama, but ended up signing with FSU.....Man did they get a steal. His nickname should be "Do No Wrong" because he doesn't. He's very good at every facet of the game and a very smart football player. Plus he's a corner who doesn't miss tackles and enjoys tackling. He's not very known because he isn't flashy and is a very humble guy, but whoever gets him in the draft is getting a steal.

I'm a FSU fan and have seen every game of Mike's career at Florida State and I can honestly say, I not once was yelling at the tv, because of something he did. The guy is just good plain and simple. with NO EGO. I came to make this post, because he deserves all the recognition he gets.

Senior highlights - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqQASDlA6YY
    Junior highlights - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbJSGSs6Q8U
  3. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,201 Messages
    280 Likes Received
    Look more like a safety to me. I noticed him when I saw them play VT and Florida this year. My only problem with him is when he press he gets beat and then has to play the WR. Doesn't get his head turned around. That first long play in the video would be a PI call in the NFL since he didn't get his head turned around.
    Looks like a great zone CB where he can play back and see the play coming at him.
    He is a Ryan type of CB, physical and can blitz. I like him as a safety and would be a nice late pick and maybe groom into a starting CB in man cover if he can learn to get his head turned around and play the ball.
  4. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,231 Messages
    1,446 Likes Received
    He wasn't getting lit up by Broyles or Stills was he?
  5. TheFinisher

2,352 Messages
    509 Likes Received
    No, Oklahoma was actually a "break out" game of sorts for him.
  6. TheFinisher

2,352 Messages
    509 Likes Received
    Harris can do pretty much anything you ask him to do as a corner, why would he play safety? If you've seen him play this year then you would know that he's extremely fluid and has blanketed many a WR in man coverage, go back and check the OU game... you're not going to find a better combo than Stills and Broyles at the college level.

He's got great instincts and overall feel for the position, I think most FSU fans who know what they're talking about will tell you he's the best DB in their secondary... which includes Xavier Rhodes and Greg Reid.

I'm not 100% certain on where his stock is at right now because he's still a bit under the radar to most draftniks, but if I had to guess I'd say early day 2. Guys with his combination of tackling/coverage ability tend to come off the board early.
  7. RFC

RFC New Member

2 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    and don't get me wrong, i'm not hyping him up saying he's a lockdown type of talent because he's not. He is somebody you want on your team every single time. Years will pass, you'll look back and while he might never be in the Pro Bowl, you will say to yourself man i'm glad we had him. I can promise you that. Every team needs those guys who put in the work on and off the field and get the job done without the flashy numbers, hype and diva attitude.

I remember during the Florida game, he made a tackle and somebody threw kind of a half punch at him, he got up, didn't look at the guy at all and went about his business. Anybody else on that FSU team woulda probably reacted someway. Stuff like that says alot about a guy to me, that's why i'm on here making a case for him.
  8. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Reminds me of Kevin Smith pre-Achilles injury.

Very solid, not flashy but always gets the job done.

Speaking of undervalued. Not only are you not going to find him on most draft sites but the guy was not even listed on the Florida St roster prior to being named the starter
  9. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,201 Messages
    280 Likes Received
    He looks more like a zone player, he likes to see the play coming to him. He plays the WR to many times and not the ball. He doesn't get his head turned around. That will get you in trouble in the NFL.
    His combination of tackling and coverage is the reason why I think he will be a better FS and his ability to react fast when he sees the play in front of him.