1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Floyd not starter for vikes

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by MakeNoise4TheBoys, Jun 21, 2013.

1. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

18,844 Messages
    856 Likes Received
    gotcha!

and i'd agree wholeheartedly.
    not sure how anyone could disagree based on what we've seen thus far.
  2. TheRomoSexual

TheRomoSexual Well-Known Member

2,413 Messages
    856 Likes Received
    Exactly. Not all 4-3 schemes are created equal.
  3. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,496 Messages
    2,006 Likes Received
    He only worked for Dungy running this scheme for years, but okay... Obviously two schemes are never exactly identical.

And I would never call Kevin Williams just a space eater. He's big, but he's far more talented than just a run stuffer. Maybe you meant at their 1-tech?
  4. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

18,844 Messages
    856 Likes Received
    In the last 3 seasons Kevin Williams has 8 sacks. He is asked to hold up OL so LB can make plays or engage DL so the pass rushers can pressure. Marinelli doesn't run the same DL scheme AT ALL. Trying to argue anything in that regard is just being dishonest. Because you know this.

The Minny DTs on the 2 deep will almost surely be over 300 pounds except maybe Floyd who is within whispering distance of it. Williams himself is over 310.

Floyd had a non-existent sack career at Florida. He is not likely being asked to do that job now in Minny.

It seems the team that took him likes guys who play hard and are athletic enough to disrupt plays but do not put an emphasis on sacking the QB from the inside.

How Dallas and Minny view the player seems to me to be in concert. Minny liked him more maybe because of scheme but note they didn't hop up there and take him at 18 either did they??
  5. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,496 Messages
    2,006 Likes Received
    First of all, whatever disagreements we may have, I'm not being dishonest. :cool:

I would say that Williams' production is down because he's getting old. He's been around for 10 years, for crying out loud. But the guy was a multiple time All-Pro because he was more than just a big blob. Yes, he's over 300 lbs, but being big plus having great strength and quickness is what makes him so good. The three bills don't necessarily make him unathletic.

As far as scheme differences, I'd say that's more due to making the best use of the players you have. If Kiffin had inherited a bunch of 320 pounders, I'm sure we wouldn't focus only on quickness. To some degree he's working with what he has.

Anyway, I don't even have a problem with what we're doing on defense at all. Just thought it interesting that we seem to be about the only party who thinks Floyd couldn't play 3-tech.
  6. hra8700

hra8700 Active Member

803 Messages
    56 Likes Received
    Ummm...this was completely expected the moment they drafted him. They have kevin williams for one more year. They want him at the 3.
  7. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

15,397 Messages
    802 Likes Received
    There would be people that would not freak out about it certainly. Such as it was with Carpenter.

Then there would those such as yourself that would use it as an opportunity to add it to Jones list of failures.
  8. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,833 Messages
    1,612 Likes Received
    That's what I was thinking.
  9. JPM

JPM Well-Known Member

5,655 Messages
    149 Likes Received
    Sure he does!
  10. djmajestik

djmajestik Member

939 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I appreciate anyone that can spell it correctly

:laugh2:
  11. Yoshimitsu

Yoshimitsu Lurch

1,988 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    It would be the same here. He is not that great of a talent to start right away in the NFL.
  12. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,683 Messages
    1,132 Likes Received
    Don't look now, but 2 of our last 3 first round picks have been offensive linemen..
  13. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

74,989 Messages
    1,568 Likes Received
    Can't be we don't value OL players. :laugh2:
  14. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,205 Messages
    1,307 Likes Received

How you doing BP?
  15. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,744 Messages
    2,778 Likes Received
    Grey...that might some it up pretty good. :laugh2:
  16. ABQCOWBOY

34,205 Messages
    1,307 Likes Received
    I think you can certainly make that argument with this franchise. It's true that in the last 3 drafts, we have used our 1st round pick on an OL twice but think about that for a second. This franchise, prior to Smith, had not drafted an OL in the 1st round since Howard Richards in 1981. That's 30 years. Now, we have suddenly seen the light? I'm not complaining because we certainly needed to address the positions but yeah, I do think there is something to the point. For way too long, we did not value the position enough and it hurt us so badly that we have done a 180 after 30 years of drafting.
  17. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,683 Messages
    1,132 Likes Received
    Our offensive line wasnt really that bad until the likes of Leonard and Columbo just completely wore down. It was really quite good for a while, especially in 07, so there wasn't a pressing need to draft guys high.
  18. ABQCOWBOY

34,205 Messages
    1,307 Likes Received

LOL...

Don't know why but that reminds me of a line from Grey's Anatomy. My Wife pretty much makes us watch that show, come hell or high water so I'm thinking back to an episode where the two female Docs are moving in together. The one wants to change the colors in the apartment to lighter colors of Yellow or Tan or Green and the other one is like, "They all look Tan. I don't want to live in an Easter Basket." The other woman comes back with, "No, you want to live in the Bat Cave. Which color do you like better?"

I laughed for about 5 minutes when I watched that and I have no idea why it sprang to mind when you said that but it just popped in there.

19. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

74,989 Messages
    1,568 Likes Received
    I don't disagree with that, Gil Brandt was not big on taking OL in rd 1 but we managed to find quality OL players.
  20. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

10,368 Messages
    697 Likes Received
    We're 5 weeks away from training camp who's to say he won't earn a starting spot by opening day?